Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
The All-weather ones, are actually better it would appear.

View attachment 285447
Well these are compared to other tires that are in the same category. It will be interesting to see how they stack up with A/S tires and true high performance summer and winter tires.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Supercharged is it worth it to get a ultra high performance tire for a daily driver car like my 05 corolla. Thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
Supercharged is it worth it to get a ultra high performance tire for a daily driver car like my 05 corolla. Thanks.
Only you can answer that. I like to drive my 09 Corolla S in the mountains so having a tire that handles extremely well was a must. After I turbocharged it made it even more important. I do like the better braking and steering of high performance tires too.

For many people they are fine with a less aggressive tire if all you do is commute to work and back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Supercharged. My mother used to have Yokohama avid ascend tires on her old 07 Camry. They were horrible. They had no traction in snow and rain.
Maybe you can explain it to me theses were LRR tires. I heard with these kind of tires the mpg is better but traction in rain and snow is terrible. Thanks
bull6791, i have the same question. the avid ascend's were horrible on my 2005 prius. what he is saying about LRR tires is correct. however, i haven't found that to be true with the nokian tires i mentioned. they had the best grip of any tire and are LRR. my focus has been on mpgs not race performance, so IDK... i do know that the prius he has is a heavier vehicle than my prius was so maybe that makes the difference. i do know that a lot of prius owners like the ascend tire. i did not, but hands down it was WAY better than the scary goodyear tire that came with the prius. after my experience with the nokian tire, it is going on 5 of my 6 cars. one they don't make the size for it, toy highlander.
also they are allweather tires... i felt safe as ever in all conditions i drove in. in OHIO we get all conditions from ice to deep light or heavy snow and HEAVY rain. they just aren't as well known and for some reason tirerack doesn't carry nokian tires. i just did a search for nokian entyre 2.0 on walmart and looked for my size. best deal i could find.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Only you can answer that. I like to drive my 09 Corolla S in the mountains so having a tire that handles extremely well was a must. After I turbocharged it made it even more important. I do like the better braking and steering of high performance tires too.

For many people they are fine with a less aggressive tire if all you do is commute to work and back.
yes that totally makes since.. if i was driving mountain roads constantly, i'd go for the performance tires as well. we don't have mountains here..

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Supercharged. Question. If I want a tire that handles well in rain and snow and all kind of conditions is it worth it for me to get a ultra performance tire like you have with the Michelin pilot or I should not was the money because my car is a daily driver. What is your opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Supercharged. Question. If I want a tire that handles well in rain and snow and all kind of conditions is it worth it for me to get a ultra performance tire like you have with the Michelin pilot or I should not was the money because my car is a daily driver. What is your opinion. Thanks.
Bull, what type of roads are you going to be driving? he has a tubo charged vehicle and is driving winding roads probably fast. he aslo has two sets of wheels for his cars.. one set for Summer/Fall and another Set for winter.
you being in Philadelphia, will likely be driving a whole different style.
you have my opinion on tires. the question is, what is your goal for your car? MPG? safety? sports driving? i guarantee that if you want mpg and safety, you won't be unhappy with the tires i suggested. if you want sporty driving and summer/fall traction, the michelin tires and get a set of ice tires for winter. i don't find winter tires to be needed here in Ohio because of how the season changes so violently from freezing rain, to snow, to spring, summer then winter all in two days.. i believe where you live does the same thing. the tires i suggested would be one set for the whole year and have amazing traction... anyway, i know you were asking Super but my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
  1. My 05 corolla is a daily commuter. I want tires that are good in rain and snow and Handel good. I don’t mind paying a little more for good tires. Rich your opinion is great. Where do you live. Thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
You living in the snow belt I would have a set of winter tires and then a good 3 season tire that is rated well for wet and dry conditions. Ultra high performance tires are great for dry and wet roads but not good in snow even if they have an A/S rating.

These newer all weather tires might be a decent option but I've not seen any comparisons between them and and other winter, A/S tires to see how they dealing measure up.

I don't believe that you need a high performance A/S tire for your commute. A good 3 season tire with a set of winter tires would be what I would have in your area. Swap the winter tires on in early November and take them off in March when the weather begins to warm.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
bull6791, i have the same question. the avid ascend's were horrible on my 2005 prius. what he is saying about LRR tires is correct. however, i haven't found that to be true with the nokian tires i mentioned. they had the best grip of any tire and are LRR. my focus has been on mpgs not race performance, so IDK... i do know that the prius he has is a heavier vehicle than my prius was so maybe that makes the difference. i do know that a lot of prius owners like the ascend tire. i did not, but hands down it was WAY better than the scary goodyear tire that came with the prius. after my experience with the nokian tire, it is going on 5 of my 6 cars. one they don't make the size for it, toy highlander.
also they are allweather tires... i felt safe as ever in all conditions i drove in. in OHIO we get all conditions from ice to deep light or heavy snow and HEAVY rain. they just aren't as well known and for some reason tirerack doesn't carry nokian tires. i just did a search for nokian entyre 2.0 on walmart and looked for my size. best deal i could find.
I've seen mostly positive reviews of the Yokohama Avid Ascend. Any tire will have good and bad reviews and some people buy the wrong tire for what they want. The Avid Ascend has been quiet, handles well on wet and dry pavement and the steering feel is decent. I wouldn't rate it a good tire for my 09 Corolla S Turbo but for our Prius it does everything I want it to do well.

Keep in mind that I've seen people say a tire doesn't do well on wet roads and they are doing 80 mph. Any tire will start to hydroplane on very wet roads as speeds increase to that point. Be aware of physics and slow done some on wet pavement. We get a lot of rain here in Washington and Oregon and I've seen these idiots cause many accidents thinking that there is no difference with dry roads.

I'm sure the Nokian are decent tires. I just wish I could see a comparison in controlled conditions to see exactly how they perform against other tires. Without tires being compared in controlled, measurable conditions one never knows for sure how much better or worse a tire performs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've seen mostly positive reviews of the Yokohama Avid Ascend. Any tire will have good and bad reviews and some people buy the wrong tire for what they want. The Avid Ascend has been quiet, handles well on wet and dry pavement and the steering feel is decent. I wouldn't rate it a good tire for my 09 Corolla S Turbo but for our Prius it does everything I want it to do well.

Keep in mind that I've seen people say a tire doesn't do well on wet roads and they are doing 80 mph. Any tire will start to hydroplane on very wet roads as speeds increase to that point. Be aware of physics and slow done some on wet pavement. We get a lot of rain here in Washington and Oregon and I've seen these idiots cause many accidents thinking that there is no difference with dry roads.

I'm sure the Nokian are decent tires. I just wish I could see a comparison in controlled conditions to see exactly how they perform against other tires. Without tires being compared in controlled, measurable conditions one never knows for sure how much better or worse a tire performs.
a controlled comparison would be nice to find. we will probably see that in the future since nokian is building a plant or two here in the USA.. more people will be aware of the brand and will likely have comparison testing like they do on tirerack.. best we can do is offer our experience and opinions and people have to weigh that with other reviews and such they find online and go with what fits their driving goals in the end..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, I use 205/50R17 Michelin X-Ice X3 winter tires for my Corolla and 195/65R15 on my wife's Prius.
Xi3’s are absolutely amazing. I run Xi3’s 195/65/15’s on steel wheels for winter. I’ve gone up hills where people with AWD and all seasons couldn’t make it up.
People just don’t understand how much better true winter tires are......

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
Xi3’s are absolutely amazing. I run Xi3’s 195/65/15’s on steel wheels for winter. I’ve gone up hills where people with AWD and all seasons couldn’t make it up.
People just don’t understand how much better true winter tires are......
I've been preaching the use of winter tires for all of us that have winter conditions that stay below 45F. I'm amazed at how many people want to take a chance with A/S tires when they drive in cold, snowy conditions. One accident and you've spent a lot more money than a set of winter tires will cost. I love the Xi3's that I have on several vehicles. I have a set of Nokian winter tires on my RAV4 and they seem to be similar in performance. Even a less expensive winter tire will outperform the very best A/S tire by a lot in snow conditions.

I've had the same experience that you did. I've been able to get around much better with FWD and winter tires than AWD vehicles that had A/S tires. Several years ago I had 2 neighbors in Subaru cars slide into each other because they couldn't stop with their A/S tires at the top of our road. I had no such issues with my Corolla and winter tires. Within a week I had seen each of them and they both bought 4 winter tires on a 2nd set of wheels for easy swap every year.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts