Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Camry XLE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the above with the stock wheels/tires, 245/65R17 Goodyear Fortuna. New car to me, i just had a new battery put in. They checked the tire pressure and noted 35 all the way around. Door placard says 30.

Anyone know why the difference, always heard go with whats on the placard. I tend to run 1-2 lbs over down here, but 5 might be a lot.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,452 Posts
Per the manual it also refers to the door and a sticker near the spare.
Cold Inflation is recommended at 30 psi and 35 Max..
The tire will have the pressures on them too.
Most shops will use 35 as a default pressure and not even look at the placard.

·
Registered
'11 Camry XLE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got into the manual earlier today. New car, went thru the whole thing and I see that, for the 17" tires they quote 30, then say, but go 35 if you go high speed, 100+. For the 19" tires they also recommend 30, but say go 35 if you plan on towing, which I will do. So, it seems somewhat flexable. I tend to run them a bit firm here in the heat. They'll stay at 35 for now. If they feel insecure in the rain, or they're slick on the ramp, I'll back down. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,082 Posts
Because the tires have to meet specs to be used on the car. Ever wonder why if you go into a reputable tire store they may not sell you certain tires for your vehicle (even though they're the same size/dimensions)? Because they have to meet speed, load and traction ratings to be LEGALLY used. So YES the door tag is worth using

·
Registered
110 Posts
ive heard stories of that happening but never had it happen to me.
ive also seen tire places replace a tire with a completely different make and model of tire and ive seen a plug on a sidewall once. Ive also seen the techs simply drop the old valve in the new tire after it was seated because they forgot to replace the valve in the 1st place. Ive balanced many a tire that previous shops balanced without removing the old weights and simpoly added new ones.

seems a little strange though, when the sidewall of the actual tire says different . (on SOME tires) and typically on different classes of tires. (P vs LT) . Being a fairly "big" vehicle, people are more inclined to put AT tires on.

·
Registered
'11 Camry XLE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually got out there today and checked, using a good gauge. Pressure was up around 36-37, way too much, would be slick as hell in the rain. I backed them off to 33 and that will be fine. I dont know why they didn't drop them down at Walmart, but nevermind.......

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,082 Posts
Actually got out there today and checked, using a good gauge. Pressure was up around 36-37, way too much, would be slick as hell in the rain. I backed them off to 33 and that will be fine. I dont know why they didn't drop them down at Walmart, but nevermind.......
One word says it all "Walmart"

·
Registered
2011HL
1,521 Posts
To establish the perfect operational tire profile the weight each tire carries, the temperature and the rotational speed must be considered.. Obviously this is too complicated as it will vary as you drive.. so a generic value is used.

·
2013 Highlander Plus
140 Posts
Because the tires have to meet specs to be used on the car. Ever wonder why if you go into a reputable tire store they may not sell you certain tires for your vehicle (even though they're the same size/dimensions)? Because they have to meet speed, load and traction ratings to be LEGALLY used. So YES the door tag is worth using
And that’s a very good point: as an theoretical example, suppose you go buy a $30 Chinese tire that is rated for 55 mph top speed for a car that weighs 500 lbs according to its load index—obviously that would be an issue if you’re cruising along at 70 mph on your road trip with 4000 lbs SUV, with all that heat building up.
Yeah, I know no such tire exists, but back when I had my Audi and did a few modifications, I had noticed the car could now exceed the speed rating of the tires I had. Not that I‘d be driving at those speeds, but there is something to be said to pay attention to a tire load index and speed rating.

·
Registered
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
3,936 Posts
5 psi isn't too much so don't worry about it

The 3rd gen, with same diameter/width tires, recommends 35psi.... obviously for better mpg.

I'd wager the 30psi is predominantly for a tolerable ride quality.

When towing, the 35psi was for the rear tires since you are plopping up to 500lbs on the rear hitch....simply using more PSI to carry the weight.

If you're insecure or unsafely slick in the rain, you bought the wrong tires or are simply driving too fast for the weather conditions.

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,082 Posts
I find 35 PSI in my 2011 with Cooper tires to be almost intolerable. I do run them a tiny bit over in winter though (about 2 PSI) but in summer normal pressures. I think the reason for ability to run higher pressures as well in the 3rd gens is greater GVW and different suspension tune.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,521 Posts
I think tire pressure is a compromise between comfort and economy. Keeping the pressure low will absorb more bumps.. keeping the pressure high will give better economy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts