Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 Highlander. The tire pressure light comes on when driving at highway speeds(55 mph and above). Every time I go and check the tire pressure and all 4 tires are dead on the correct psi. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that it doesn’t have a TMPS but I haven’t investigated it myself. Never even thought about the spare tire.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,222 Posts
I was told that it doesn’t have a TMPS but I haven’t investigated it myself. Never even thought about the spare tire.
It's possible you might have indirect TPMS which I think is more of a pain compared to direct. I'm not too knowledgeable about the types of TPMS other that for my 08 Camry, it has direct TPMS and I have not heard many stories of TPMS modules going bad except for the battery of the TPMS dying. Here is a link to tell you the three types of TPMS and I believe older Toyota's might use indirect.
https://www.tpmsdirect.com/3_Common_Types_of_TPMS_a/260.htm

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,973 Posts
Spare tire or dead TPMS.

Please don’t post with inaccurate info when you’re not familiar with the vehicle. It just confuses people.

OP, 1st Gen Highlanders are using indirect TPMS. So it’s using your tire circumference to compare with the other tires. Are all for tires the same make and model? Do all four have identical tread depth?

·
Registered
71 Posts
OP, 1st -GEN Highlanders are using indirect TPMS. So it’s using your tire circumference to compare with the other tires. Are all for tires the same make and model? Do all four have identical tread depth?
This is likely the issue.

I bought my 2006 HL used, and the tire pressure light kept coming on even though the pressures were all the same, and I kept re-setting the light.

It turned out that the previous owner replace the front 2 tires recently, but not the rear tires. The fronts were practically new, and the rears were very worn. I replaced the rears with 2 new tires of identical make, model and size. The pressure light never came back after that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
In the future, you can reset the computer to account for different tires like you had. with the key off you press and hold the tire monitor reset button, then turn the key to the run position while still holding the button, you will see some flashing lines on the odometer and when they are gone, you are ready to go. These directions are in the owners manual if you have one. You will have to do this again when you change or rotate tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine is 05 base with indirect tpms, I just had the same issue of the light coming on when all tires are correct. turn the car on and hold the tire reset button in, the light will flash 3 times, this puts the system in learn mode and you should drive it on the highway without a lot of turns, I
ve read for up to 30 mi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts