Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of buying a set of winter tires with aftermarket rims. As I understand, if I do not purchase additional tire pressure sensors, the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) light will be ON all the time on the dashboard. If I do purchase the sensors (~ $370 value), I will have to take the car to a dealer to have the car computer programmed for the new sensors. This sounds like a lot of hassle and $$$. Does anyone know if there a way to disable the TPMS light, or to at least reprogramm the car to the new sensors on my own?

·
it is what it is
2,294 Posts
I am thinking of buying a set of winter tires with aftermarket rims. As I understand, if I do not purchase additional tire pressure sensors, the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) light will be ON all the time on the dashboard. If I do purchase the sensors (~ $370 value), I will have to take the car to a dealer to have the car computer programmed for the new sensors. This sounds like a lot of hassle and $$$. Does anyone know if there a way to disable the TPMS light, or to at least reprogramm the car to the new sensors on my own?
Its very easy to switch the sensors over to the winter wheels.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its very easy to switch the sensors over to the winter wheels.:)
Well, my plan was to keep two sets of wheels: for summer and for winter and swap them myself. As I understand, to switch the sensors I will need to dismount the tire from the rim, but that defeats the purpose of having two sets of wheels. In the worst case I'll be taping the annoying light with a piece of black electrician tape.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Highlander Sport 2008
118 Posts
Hi! did you have any answer to that question yet. I'm planning to do the same for my future Highlander 2008. I always had two set of tires (for my other cars) with rims for winter and summer to be able to change them myself and that way avoiding the rush in garage at the first snow here in North of Quebec.
Also, What about Tire Rotation. I usually put the front tire at the back and the back tire in front. Does the Tire sensors are programmed by position and must be kept always at the same place? If so, I will not be able to do Tire Rotation. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got a set of those black with witer tires on my HL. What I did about the light: I've just put a piece of that regular black electric tape over it. To be honnest with you i'ts been a month now since I got my HL and I don't see that light at all. The way it's design it's deep and it goes unoticeable.

I thing it's not worth the $$$ and when I put back the summer tires myself all I will have to do is reset the thing.

·
Highlander Sport 2008
118 Posts
What if I want to buy another sets of sensors

Ok Guys! What if I want to buy an other sets of 4 sensors and install them on an other sets of Rims for winter. Can you register those sensors by yourself on the Highlander Computer or do you have absolutly to go to the Toyota garage to do it. I wish it can handle 8 sensors like the Honda Ridgeline.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ok Guys! What if I want to buy an other sets of 4 sensors and install them on an other sets of Rims for winter. Can you register those sensors by yourself on the Highlander Computer or do you have absolutly to go to the Toyota garage to do it. I wish it can handle 8 sensors like the Honda Ridgeline.
Thanks guys!
for sure toyota scanner has to do it (techstream) i heard from someone at work that another machine can do it but didnt follow up on it so i dont know if it is true

if you buy new sensors.. make sure you right down the sensor id 1st

·
Highlander Sport 2008
118 Posts
That is a shame

:ahhhh:I'm very disappointed to learn that I will have to go to Toyota two times a year because of those Tire Pressure Monitors. Even if I save money by changing my tires at home I will have to pay to make the TPMS works with the new sets of Tires. I wonder if I really will buy an other sets or Rims or just make my tire change on the original Mag of the HL, even if that means damaging them a little bit every time.

Maybe , I'll just put a piece of black electrical tape like Omega said! :thumbup:

·
Highlander Sport 2008
118 Posts
The final answer

Hi all. I just called my local Toyota dealer and here is the facts.

It seems I just can't buy 17'' steel wheel rims (90$ each) because they are not made to receive those Tire pressure sensors. it looks that I would have to buy the original Wheel Mags at 631$ each for 17''. The sensors are 103$ each.

They also told me that I could buy 17'' steel rims without the sensors and to just ignore the TPMS light. But if the Canadian Laws makes this system mandatory, I could have to get the original 19'' Mags and sensors in place and have to buy 19'' Winter tires and get rid of my 17'' Tires.

It seems also that the TPMS could supervise 2 sets of 4 sensors if I believe the guy from the Toyota dealer.

So I'll follow your suggestion and just get rid of the alarm light. I like to change my tires when I want to and avoid the big RUSH when everyone want to do it in garages after the first snow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like I said on the other post, if you put a little piece (about ½"sq) of tape over it you won't the light nor the tape itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Switching tire sensors from OEM wheels to new wheels

What is involved if you just want to switch sensors from one set of wheels and tires (OEM) to a new set of wheels and tires.

Is the sensor external to the wheel? or internal in tire?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
8 Participants
kjwlajolla
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing