Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all those fellow Avalon Limted owners running winter wheels and tires or any wheels without the pressure monitors. Here is the deal. I bought a set of steel wheels and Ice-x winter tires for the upcoming winter here in Michigan. I decided not to have them install the pressure sensors as I was told the car has to be calibrated to each set and the cost of the sensors was way more than the benefit. Anyway, I expected the warning light to come on and stay on, but to my surprise the light was not on and didn't come on. I thought that perhaps the system was intelligent enough to realize that all 4 sensors were removed and did not turn the warning light on. Then on the way home the other night (after over 1000 miles of driving with the new wheels and tires) all of a sudden the light started to flash and then stayed on. Now each time I start the car the light blinks for a bit and then stays solid. Is this normal? Was I just lucky that the light didn't come on from day one? Any value added thoughts would be appreciated.:confused:

Thanks
Chad

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
Yep this is normal. The system only compares sensor values from time to time. However, if there is a catastrophic failure it would trigger immediately.

BTW, where are your stock wheels/tires stored? If they are near your car when you park, the system will probably reset each time...which means you might not have a warning light at the first of each start-up.

As for price? It has come way down in the last year or so. OE sensors can be purchased from ebay for less than $100. Pacific brand # PMV-107J is what you want. Some tires shops will program for free. A piece of electrical for the light works too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It takes a while for the sensor to collect data I guess. I think after a while, you will get used to the warning light on the dash. I am with you, just don't see any reason why need to spend another $ for TMPS for winter tires

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2007 highlander with similar problem except i have not changed wheels.. My light came on after latest tire change, was told would go out after driving a few miles, wrong, has been on constantly, went to dealer after checking all 4 tires for correct pressure. he said check the spare?, did that and still no relief.. I now drive with the light on constantly...Any suggestions???

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
I have 2007 highlander with similar problem except i have not changed wheels.. My light came on after latest tire change, was told would go out after driving a few miles, wrong, has been on constantly, went to dealer after checking all 4 tires for correct pressure. he said check the spare?, did that and still no relief.. I now drive with the light on constantly...Any suggestions???
The only reason the light triggers right after a tire change is that one of the sensors was damaged when removing or reinstall a tire. BTW, few Toyota's have a sensor in the spare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am confused, when I had new tires replaced at discount tire, I wanted to have the sensors repaired as they suggested when you buy new tires, but was told that my highlander wheels did not have the sensors in the wheels that it was some other system which they couldn't explain. I just had regular valve stems...which they replaced with new rubber stems.

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
I am confused, when I had new tires replaced at discount tire, I wanted to have the sensors repaired as they suggested when you buy new tires, but was told that my highlander wheels did not have the sensors in the wheels that it was some other system which they couldn't explain. I just had regular valve stems...which they replaced with new rubber stems.
The older TPM system used the ABS sensors to detect rotational speed differences between the wheels. An under inflated tire will rotate faster. After checking, it looks like your HL does not have the direct system (sensors in each wheel) but rather the older indirect system (ABS based). The ABS based system does not care what the actual pressure is, just whether there is matching rotational speed when driving in a straight line.

You need to first make sure that the cold tire pressure is consistent between all 4 tires. Then consult your owner's manual as to how to reset the system. There should be a reset button under the dash...probably under the steering column area...if I had to guess. Still not sure why it triggered though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1st, thank you for your support!! I have allways been checking the tire pressure when the tires are cold and making sure they are all the same pressure with my own gauge. In the past I have found the reset button and pushed it, the light goes out and then after driving for about 10 or 15 minutes "it comes back on"... until finding this site I decided I would just "live with the light". I appreciate your advice.

·
2013 Tacoma
2010 Yaris 4-Door LB
612 Posts
1st, thank you for your support!! I have allways been checking the tire pressure when the tires are cold and making sure they are all the same pressure with my own gauge. In the past I have found the reset button and pushed it, the light goes out and then after driving for about 10 or 15 minutes "it comes back on"... until finding this site I decided I would just "live with the light". I appreciate your advice.
I think it involves more than just pushing the button. I believe there is a sequence you need to go through to actually reset it. The manual should have it. If that doesn't work then there could be some other issue which would be difficult to diagnose over the web.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts