Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,after rereading the offset sticky many times i still dont get it, in relation to tire size and offset, so please forgive me if this has been explained before. A friend gave me his old set of ADR spade 17 rims(offset 40), with the tires already on them 225/40/17. i brought them to tire kingdom to put on the car, and the front wheel would not even turn, it was right against the strutt. the guy at the shop did not seem to even know what spacers are. So my question is: what size spacers do i need to buy to make these wheels work on my car. the car in question is a 96 coupe.

Dave

·
one of a kind
78 Posts
your tires are too wide...try switching to 205/40/r17 or 215/45/r17

i got 215/50/r17 on my konig prophet 17x7.5 and the tires sill rub against the shock

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but do you think i could use spacers for tires that are on the rims? there is quite a bit of tread left and i would hate to throw them away.

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
the tires are too wide for that offset, not too wide for the car. I have 225/40/17's on my ICW 618's with a +38 offset and have never rubbed (unless you count the time my ball joint was bent).

As far as spacers, i think someone said you don't want to use a spacer any bigger than like 5mm or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so to get my rims to the same offset as yours, i should get a 2mm spacer right? pretty sure that would work. what do you think?

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
Sounds right, but i'm no expert on spacers, so you may want to verify that.

·
one of a kind
78 Posts
what kind of offset is good for my wheels ..like i said b4...i got 215/50/17 on my 17x7.5 wheels(my offset is also 40mm) and it still rubs against the rear shock (not drop)..and as for the front..my car was drop 1.8 inches with sprint lowering spring. The passenger's side stil scrape onto the fender (1" gap) when u went on bumps. its kinda odd how the drivers side didnt scrape.

heres is the good part..in the past i have 215/45/17 on my katana concept 5 (17x7) and its doesnt affect the shock nor the fenders.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
ECale3 said:
the tires are too wide for that offset, not too wide for the car. I have 225/40/17's on my ICW 618's with a +38 offset and have never rubbed (unless you count the time my ball joint was bent).

As far as spacers, i think someone said you don't want to use a spacer any bigger than like 5mm or something.
bogus info. please make sure you know what youre on about.

tyre width and wheel offset have nothing to do with each other.

i reccomend selling the wheels/tyres and getting something that fits. using spacers is highly illegal and unsafe. if the problem is tyre rubbing and its only a small amount (~3mm) buy tyres with less section width.

i also hope you have hubcentric/locator/spignot rings. $10 is not something to toy with when it comes to keeping the wheels on the car.

·
Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,047 Posts
Terrastrife, i was referring to this:

96camryracer said:
your tires are too wide...try switching to 205/40/r17 or 215/45/r17

i got 215/50/r17 on my konig prophet 17x7.5 and the tires sill rub against the shock
Either way, there are ways to point out incorrect info without sounding like a total asshole, maybe you should try a few. I am totally aware that offset and tire size have nothing to do with each other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts