Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to rotate my own tires. No wheel change, no tire change, just rotation.
Do I need to do anything to make sure the TPMS sensors show correct tire positions on my dash display?

I read that the TPMS sensors will re-discover their own positions after driving for 20-30min post-rotation. But I also read that one has to buy an OBD-II TPMS reset/relearn tool to teach the ECU the new tire positions after a rotation.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Rotate them and see what happens. Either they will or they won't detect. You won't know til it happens. As far as I know, if yours has a display that lists each TPMS it might have to manually relearn it. If yours just has a TPMS light it should automatically relearn it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surely people have rotated their tires here... for a Gen7 Camry 2017 do we need a special tool for TPMS?

This is my first time rotating on my own and if I have to buy multiple tools and jacks and stands etc. it ends up not being worth it and I'll take it to a shop. That's why I ask.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Surely people have rotated their tires here... for a Gen7 Camry 2017 do we need a special tool for TPMS?

This is my first time rotating on my own and if I have to buy multiple tools and jacks and stands etc. it ends up not being worth it and I'll take it to a shop. That's why I ask.
Is your TPMS "smart" as in there is a display that shows each TPMS?
OR
Is your TPMS "dumb" as in there is only a TPMS light?

If it is the first, it might need to relearn. If it is the second, it might not need to relearn.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I have a 2017 and when I asked the question, here was the response. It would be nice if it were automatic and I think it is, but haven't yet tried it to prove it:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-camry-7th-generation-2012-2017/1524314-tpms-question.html

See these, too. It seems to imply the reset button will force a reboot and it will automatically find the appropriate sensor for each tire:

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-camry-7th-generation-2012-2017/1436986-tpms-dealer-tire-rotation.html

https://hiride.com/toyota-camry-reset-tire-pressure-warning-system/

·
325 Posts

Yes, and surely you know how to read. And surely you know how to do things for yourself, vs. going to the chatroom?

Thus, please read the manual. Yes, this is all covered in the manual. Stop relying on people to do your work.

Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
My understanding is that the car's computer can relearn the position of the sensors when you rotate the tires.
It takes about 20 minutes or so of constant driving for the position relearn to take place.
I have the SE model which has both the TPMS light and displays the pressure of each tire in one of the screens in the middle display.
If a new sensor is introduced, you must program the serial number of the sensor into the computer using a TPMS tool.
The computer cannot learn a new serial number on its own.
Also, the computer can only hold 1 set of serial numbers.
So, if you have another set of wheels with tires (like snow tires) the serial numbers must be programmed each time you change the rims (and sensors) over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rotated my wife's 2014 SE 2.5 several months ago, and it resulted in no light or code. Don't know how long it took the TPMS to re-establish the pairing for all four wheels, though. Some manufacturers display the individual tire pressure and would display -- after the TPMS loses connection and during relearn.

Woof

·
TN の がしょう
7,388 Posts
My TPMS recalibrated itself within a few minutes whenever I rotate them at home. I have a 2015 XSE.

I rotate my tires every 8,000-10,000 miles or during every other oil changes. (I change my oil at every 5k miles)

All you need is a jack and a torque wrench. You can get a decent low profile hydraulic jack at Harbor Freight Tools for less than $80 with a coupon.

No issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, and surely you know how to read. And surely you know how to do things for yourself, vs. going to the chatroom?

Thus, please read the manual. Yes, this is all covered in the manual. Stop relying on people to do your work.

Thanks
Surely that's a great use of your time and surely you need that attitude.

Lol you need to relax, I asked a straightforward yes/no question for which there's conflicting information on search.

Thanks for the useful replies in this thread.

·
Photojournalist
1,791 Posts
My understanding is that the car's computer can relearn the position of the sensors when you rotate the tires.

It takes about 20 minutes or so of constant driving for the position relearn to take place.

I have the SE model which has both the TPMS light and displays the pressure of each tire in one of the screens in the middle display.

If a new sensor is introduced, you must program the serial number of the sensor into the computer using a TPMS tool.

The computer cannot learn a new serial number on its own.

Also, the computer can only hold 1 set of serial numbers.

So, if you have another set of wheels with tires (like snow tires) the serial numbers must be programmed each time you change the rims (and sensors) over.
Not quite. You don't have to drive at all. You just do the reset procedure with the button in the glove box.
You will show the pressure in each tire, but their location is random each time you rotate. I figure it out by deflating one tire at a time, waiting for the screen to update, then re-enflating. Then put a paper in my manual.
If you do snow tires you do not have to reprogram sensors each season. Just have the tire shop clone them to the same four codes.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
sethr
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing