Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
07 TRD Offroad Taco
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new tires on my taco, I got 285/75R16 BFG all-terrain on my stock 16'' TRD offroad wheels... Its rubbing on the UCA when I make turns:sosad: Im almost positive its cause of the wheels,So im guessing either new wheels or some wheel spacers? any ideas, anyone had same problem!!!

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
You need less backspacing. This will move the wheel rim away from the suspension. You can buy new wheels, or try adding a 1/4" spacer. If you get new wheels, try to get it with 4.5" backspacing.

·
Registered
2002 4Runner Sport
277 Posts
Even with proper backspacing it will take a good deal of trimming of the inner fender to eliminate most of the rubbing :whatthe: . Most likely it's still going to rub on the cab frame when you back up & turn your wheels :ugh3: . You can search & find a lot of info on this subject . P.S. Pays to do your homework first & you can save a lot of trouble :headbang: .

·
Gil
2006 Tocama 4X4
211 Posts
Yep, It is pretty well documented in here that 265/75/16 is as large as you can go with the stock setup. Might as well lift it and get some wheels. Or if the tire dealer promised you they would work they should stand behind their promise and swap them out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
TRDtoy79 said:
Even with proper backspacing it will take a good deal of trimming of the inner fender to eliminate most of the rubbing :whatthe: . Most likely it's still going to rub on the cab frame when you back up & turn your wheels :ugh3: . You can search & find a lot of info on this subject . P.S. Pays to do your homework first & you can save a lot of trouble :headbang: .
Combining the 1/4" wheel spacer and a 3" toytec lift...would these 285's work? I'm fighting buying new rims cause I like the OEM optional baja rims I have.

·
Registered
07 TRD Offroad Taco
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey 1slktoy vbmenu_register("postmenu_1642043", true); Thas what I have right now the 3'' toytec lift, I kinda liked my TRD offroad wheels thats why I decided to just get the bigger tires... but like I said the only rubbing problem I have is when turning and only on the UCA. Actually I just got my Donahoe coil overs and deavers bu I guess even when I get those on im still going to have the rubbing problem, so ill have to get either spacers or new wheels.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
socal_taco said:
Hey 1slktoy vbmenu_register("postmenu_1642043", true); Thas what I have right now the 3'' toytec lift, I kinda liked my TRD offroad wheels thats why I decided to just get the bigger tires... but like I said the only rubbing problem I have is when turning and only on the UCA. Actually I just got my Donahoe coil overs and deavers bu I guess even when I get those on im still going to have the rubbing problem, so ill have to get either spacers or new wheels.
Try a set of Total Chaos UCA's!

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
socal_taco said:
You think that will take care of the rubbing problem on the uca Toku?
No. They won't. You have a backspacing issue. Spacers are the only way to correct the problem with the wheels you have now.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
socal_taco said:
You think that will take care of the rubbing problem on the uca Toku?
I can't say yes or no.
But I do know that the TC's will give you extra clearance. I think it was about 1/2" more of clearance. Try and do a search I did measurements for another TN member. You might be able to contact that person to see if it worked out for him??

·
Registered
296 Posts
1slktoy said:
Combining the 1/4" wheel spacer and a 3" toytec lift...would these 285's work? I'm fighting buying new rims cause I like the OEM optional baja rims I have.
the control arm moves with the suspension, so a lift won't change your current issue at all, also, a coil or spring lift won't change the stuffed position of your wheel, so splash guard and the back of the front fender flare trimming will still be required if you plan on actually wheeling, if you want to know for sure your tire will clear remove your front shock, mount your wheel and put a floor jack under your tire lifting it until your bump stop hits, then turn the wheel through full lock each direction to see what hits...

if you like the toyota wheels take a look at the '07 FJ TRD wheels, they have 5" backspacing which is 1/2" less than the wheels designed around the Tacoma, this will give you the clearance at the UCA while keeping the stock Toyo look

here are some pics of mine with 265/75R16s on FJ TRD wheels:

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t179511-2.html

look for the McJohn pictures showing you where you will rub with or without a lift 3" lift

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks McJohn for the clear answer that I can understand. Your FJ rims do look good. The 1st pic's are the 265/75's and the bottom pic is 285's on the FJ's?

Expanding on the spacer questions though...

Are Spidertrax spacers (or another brand) a viable option to fit these 285's?

I ask because...

A) There is obviously a lot of tire knowledge on this forum to draw from.

B) I bought the optional Baja rims and then shipped them to LA to have them dipped; so they are quite the investment already for us.

C) Like many others here I want to do the lift and tire upsize @ the same time, and don't care to make a costly misjudgement on the tallest tire.

IMO the 265/75/16 look really good on our stock height trucks, but a "bit" short on those with 3" front lifts. Either way still much better than the stock Rugged Trails.

·
Registered
296 Posts
1slktoy said:
Thanks McJohn for the clear answer that I can understand. Your FJ rims do look good. The 1st pic's are the 265/75's and the bottom pic is 285's on the FJ's?

Expanding on the spacer questions though...

Are Spidertrax spacers (or another brand) a viable option to fit these 285's?

I ask because...

A) There is obviously a lot of tire knowledge on this forum to draw from.

B) I bought the optional Baja rims and then shipped them to LA to have them dipped; so they are quite the investment already for us.

C) Like many others here I want to do the lift and tire upsize @ the same time, and don't care to make a costly misjudgement on the tallest tire.

IMO the 265/75/16 look really good on our stock height trucks, but a "bit" short on those with 3" front lifts. Either way still much better than the stock Rugged Trails.
All of my pics are 265/75R16s, as you can see the 265s are almost rubbing, if you go up to 285/75R16s the tires will rub unless you trim the splash guard, remove your mud flap as well as possibly trim the front fender flare on the back inside corner....

I know most folks feel that a 3" lift will give more room for tires but it's just not the case, when you compress a truck with coil overs or OME springs the wheel won't stop until it hits the bump stop, just like a stock truck....the only thing that may save you is if you crank 'em so high that there is no way to get the wheel to compress fully into the tire well, which of course means your ride is really stiff and you've lost a good bit of upward travel...not sure if spacer lifts will limit the upward travel as I never even considered them....

That said, I think the 265s look kinda dinky too, I may do some trimming and take 'em back for 285s as the bridgestones have a 30 day trial period....I'm putting the OME 885 springs with OME shocks in the front and an AAL with OME shocks in the back this coming weekend and am going to drive it as is for a bit to see if I can deal with the 265s

You also need to check the backspacing on your wheels, you'll need 5" to clear the upper control arms with 285s and no less than 4.5" or your wheel will stick out too far causing fender clearance issues when turning and compressing your suspension...

I know you've already invested in some wheels so hopefully the backspacing will measure out OK, here is a link for measuring backspacing:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

once you get there look at the bottom diagram for the "rear spacing" measurement

best of luck, let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
319 Posts
Great link here McJohn. Thanks again.

Had the Rugged Trails balanced again (4th time in 22K) at Discount Tire yesterday. They had either 6 or 5/32 measurements on them. The tech says this equates to probably 6-7k miles left on them. True or not?

If so, that's about 4 months for me to work this out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
07 TRD Offroad Taco
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well since I already have the 285's i guess my only option would be spacers... thanks for the help eveyone...

·
Registered
319 Posts
McJohn said:
All of my pics are 265/75R16s, as you can see the 265s are almost rubbing, if you go up to 285/75R16s the tires will rub unless you trim the splash guard, remove your mud flap as well as possibly trim the front fender flare on the back inside corner....

I know most folks feel that a 3" lift will give more room for tires but it's just not the case, when you compress a truck with coil overs or OME springs the wheel won't stop until it hits the bump stop, just like a stock truck....the only thing that may save you is if you crank 'em so high that there is no way to get the wheel to compress fully into the tire well, which of course means your ride is really stiff and you've lost a good bit of upward travel...not sure if spacer lifts will limit the upward travel as I never even considered them....

That said, I think the 265s look kinda dinky too, I may do some trimming and take 'em back for 285s as the bridgestones have a 30 day trial period....I'm putting the OME 885 springs with OME shocks in the front and an AAL with OME shocks in the back this coming weekend and am going to drive it as is for a bit to see if I can deal with the 265s

You also need to check the backspacing on your wheels, you'll need 5" to clear the upper control arms with 285s and no less than 4.5" or your wheel will stick out too far causing fender clearance issues when turning and compressing your suspension...

I know you've already invested in some wheels so hopefully the backspacing will measure out OK, here is a link for measuring backspacing:

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

once you get there look at the bottom diagram for the "rear spacing" measurement

best of luck, let us know how it turns out
Say McJohn, did you upsize to the 285's? If so, did this work out for you?

·
Registered
296 Posts
running 265/75R16's

nah, I don't really want to cut up my Taco for 1/2" more ground clearance, I do like the look of the 285's though and will probably go with them once these 265's wear out and I've banged up the truck a bit....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts