Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done a 235/40R20 tire on a 4th gen Avalon without issues?

I know there’s plenty of 235/35R20’s out there but i’m not willing to go to a 35 tire which is why i ask if anyone has done a 40, being that it would be the lowest tire profile i’ll compromise with...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im curious as well, as i want to swap 18 Camry wheels to my Avalon and im not sure if they'll clear or not or rim size i should go for and be okay

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
121 Posts
What size is original for you? What are you trying to achieve? Are you going for bigger rims? Larger overall diameter? Lower profile tires?

Maybe 225/40R19? They have a circumference that is between the stock 215/55R17 or 225/45R18 wheels offered on the Avalon. You'd need a rim with an offset of +40 (the original were +40). This would give you about the same clearance for the suspension. Actual speed when showing 60 mph would be lower by .5 mph if your originals were 17" and higher by .2 mph if your originals were 18".

I have not used this size but it should work. I have stock 225/45R18 +40 (stock aluminum) for three seasons and 215/60R16 +45 (steel) for the winter with no issues.

Here's a couple of good resources: tire size comparison, and wheel offset calculator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My stock tire size is 225/45R18 the camry has a tire size of 235/45R18. I have seen camrys with 245s, i think the offset is greater than 40, tho i could be mistaken. Ill be doing some more searching tonight, thank you for the links

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What size is original for you? What are you trying to achieve? Are you going for bigger rims? Larger overall diameter? Lower profile tires?

Maybe 225/40R19? They have a circumference that is between the stock 215/55R17 or 225/45R18 wheels offered on the Avalon. You'd need a rim with an offset of +40 (the original were +40). This would give you about the same clearance for the suspension. Actual speed when showing 60 mph would be lower by .5 mph if your originals were 17" and higher by .2 mph if your originals were 18".

I have not used this size but it should work. I have stock 225/45R18 +40 (stock aluminum) for three seasons and 215/60R16 +45 (steel) for the winter with no issues.

Here's a couple of good resources: tire size comparison, and wheel offset calculator.
My original size is 225/45R18. Sometimes i look at my car with the stocks 18’s and low profile tires and think it looks quite ridiculous for that large of a vehicle to have as much of a wheel gap.

That’s the same tire and wheel size my Accord Sport came with from the factory and its not as big of car so i think Toyota should’ve put a bit taller sidewall tire on this vehicle or larger wheel, i see they figured it out for the new body style Avalon with the 235/45R19 which looks much better for such large sedan.

So i searched around these forums with the goal of selecting a taller sidewall to achieve a better look and came across a thread that had me ready to go from a 225/45R18 to 225/50R18 to better fill the gap without having to lower the vehicle “But”

With all that said and being that i also considered changing wheels i thought that if i can do a 225/50R18 with no issues i would think i can do a 225/45R19 or 225/40R20 without problems.
Am i wrong?

·
Registered
2013 XLE Touring V6
121 Posts
With all that said and being that i also considered changing wheels i thought that if i can do a 225/50R18 with no issues i would think i can do a 225/45R19 or 225/40R20 without problems.
Am i wrong?
I don't know if you're wrong or not. Both of those sizes are (very slightly) larger diameter than the 225/50R18. Granted the difference is only one or two tenths of an inch, but larger none-the-less. I don't know if that slight increase would make enough difference to cause interference or not. I haven't tried them.

I found a previous post where molson.david stated that 225/50R18 was the maximum diameter you could go without having interference. He is a very active member here and seems very knowledgeable. He is probably even seeing this post. Perhaps he has some first-hand knowledge that would help you in your quest to fill the wheel well gap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts