Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OlDsChOoLeR
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.

I have a 2002 Tacoma prerunner with a factory lift kit on it.

the stock 15" wheels are visually small in the gaping fender. Not to mention i have 37k miles on them and they are balding quickly.

Im in the market for some new tires.

I want to know what a bigger all terrain tire I can throw on there with out having balancing and rubbing problems.

the factory size tire I believe is a 225/75-15
a guy at Discount Tire suggested a 30 x 9.5 x 15

is he correct???
any help or opionions?

ALSO: any good tacoma forums out there????

thanks, Luke

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put a set of 265-75 x 16" Firestone Destination M/Ts on my 2003 PreRunner (X-tra cab w/V6). They're mounted on the factory 16" alloy wheels and the truck is at stock height. I have no interference issues. Full turn lock-to-lock with out rubbing, even over good sized bumps in the trail. However, I don't think you can go any bigger in diameter without a lift kit. With the V6 I notice only a slight decrease in acceleration (obviously due to a gearing change and more mass). With the stock issued BFG Rugged Trail tires (265-70 x 16) the truck handled like a car......poor turn-in (squishy side walls), poor traction off-hwy. Anyway, I'm running 39psi (front) and 37psi (rear) with the new Firestone M/Ts and I'm surprised that these tires are as quiet as they are, compared to say the BFG M/Ts. Truck handles much better now and has max traction in the dirt. These tires were rated the best M/T tire on the market. Priced from around $140.00 to $160.00 each, depending on the store. Oh! And they look very happening!!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Sleeping While Awake
94 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts