Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having moved to a 7500' elevation in CO accompanied with harsh weather; ie snow and ice
I'm interested in what the board members suggest for a set of tires for my 2015 TRD 4wd
Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I would go to the Discount Tire website and find a retailer near you, and see what tires they have to fit your vehicle. That site is a good one for customer reviews.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What in the world is so difficult about buying tires ? Almost every place that sells tires has a web site that you can use to find out what fits the vehicle you have , prices , specs and many have reviews . Also it will show specials like buy three and get one free or maybe receive a gift card after purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing difficult about buying tires. When one goes to a tire retailer, said retailer typically pushes what's on "his shelf" as the best of the best. Of course the reviews are always stellar. Whoop out the card and off you go. I'm not trying to cheap out or buy 3 and get 1 free. My purchase decision will be influenced by board members. Sorry I asked.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
I know you said snow, but give us an idea of what type of use you use your truck for and the types of road with snow. For instance, are you doing a lot of highway driving, does tire noise matter, are you driving on paved roads or unpaved in snow?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Moose
Thanks for responding. The vehicle get most of its use during the winter months (about 6K) on ice and snow covered paved county roads. Truck bed usually unloaded. Tire noise does not matter / studded tires not desired. 40K longevity would be wonderful. Vehicle used when I really have to go out and when the 2WD would be unsafe. I lean towards, if you need 4WD, you shouldn't be there in the first place. ...............Considering the Michelin winter and snows

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Nothing difficult about buying tires. When one goes to a tire retailer, said retailer typically pushes what's on "his shelf" as the best of the best. Of course the reviews are always stellar. Whoop out the card and off you go. I'm not trying to cheap out or buy 3 and get 1 free. My purchase decision will be influenced by board members. Sorry I asked.
In my experience, that is not true for Discount Tire, partly because they carry every brand, and can get virtually any tire shipped a store in your area in a few days. The ones they do have in stock are the most popular ones in your area, because it makes sense for them to stock the tires that most people want to match the driving conditions of that location. Discount Tire has excellent service and I have found their sales people to be quite knowledgeable about what tires are best, and there is no benefit to them in having a dissatisfied customer.

There is nothing wrong with asking board members for their advice, but not many people own a Truck and live at 7500 feet altitude. Also, there are some very good members with a lot of knowledge, but there are also some on any board who are less knowledgeable, and often it is hard to know which is which just by reading their comments.

As far as tire reviews on Discount Tire, the customer reviews are not always stellar, and the vary by tire. Sounds to me like you haven't even looked at them. As I said before, they can get virtually any tire sold in the USA. It doesn't hurt to go to a Discount Tire store and ask their opinion, and you would be under no obligation to buy from them.

The advantage of Discount Tire over Tirerack,com in your case, is that a local store near you (if there is one near you) will know a lot more about how a tire performs in your (rather extreme) weather conditions.

Personally, I prefer Costco Tires, but they only carry two brands (Michelin and Bridgestone) and not likely there is one near you (unless you go to Denver), and a membership is required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mark for directing me to Discount Tire. Didn't know that about them, that's great info. My tire knowledge is sketchy and I realize that there is no one tire that is ideal for all conditions. Trade offs exist (mileage, wear, noise, cost etc.) of which I accept. And yes, I am trying to find the ideal tire for my location and season as that is when the vehicle is used most. Agree that there are many members here such as you that have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
I updated an old Goodyear Duratrac thread of mine from when I bought the first set. Sounds like you’re in snow like I get. My truck mostly just gets used for a little summer off roading and a lot of snow use in the winter. You’ll get at least 60K miles out of the Duratracs. America’s Tire carries them which is where I got both sets over the years. One other piece of advice if you’re in an environment where you might get stuck is to purchase a pump like a Viair (I got one with unlimited duty cycle time) and a set of deflators for your tires and set them somewhere between 15 and 18 psi. Airing down that much with these tires will get you out of most anything.

Link to the other thread: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61-tacoma-2nd-generation-2005-2015/1036521-duratrac-100-200-off-today-feb-14-2015-a.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!

Yo 05Moose and Mark888

Thanks for the help!
Discount Tire priced matched Sears and gave me a set of Michelin Latitude Xi2's @ $135.00(ea)
Didn't expect that.
I owe you guys a beer or two!

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
I was running a set of Toyo Open Country ATs that came highly recommended from a Reno friend for snow and ice conditions. Got 50k out of them, but the noise was too much for me. Never really challenged them in anything other than about 1 ft of snow in Tahoe.

Don't do much snow, mostly rain nowadays, so running the Michelins in my signature.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Hope those work out for ya. Snow/ice tires don’t perform as well around here compared to an AT tire with deep channels. Tahoe snow can get sloppy which is more like mud than snow. If Colorado is all icy snow like back east, then they should do well.

·
Registered
754 Posts
i usually window-shop at tirerack,

the selection of brands, and size options...

plus the ratings compiled from others reviews.

not suggesting that you buy there, I never have.

but the info is there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've bought 4 sets of regular chains and 3 sets of cable chains from VulcanTire.com for our car and my '05 Tacoma 4x4. SCC brand is the brand I got for all. Real happy with them and price is right. You'll need cable chains for the fronts (for suspension clearance) and either cable or regular link chains for the rears. Search Vulcan's site for the proper chains for your truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts