Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '95 2wd wagon 1.8l with 400k km on the odometer. My wife generally drives it so when I hopped in the other day I was surprised at how lethargic it had become in the last 6 months. It has started burning oil and doesn't zip like a toyota should. So I've been thinking of yanking the motor and replacing it with a rebuild. Then I got thinking why a 1.8l? Why not a 2.2l or something else? Has anyone here had success cramiing a 2.2l celica motor into a corolla?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I tell which engine I have? Is it part of hte VIN code? Written on the hood or door or something? For some reason I think I have a 7A-GE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you have a 1.8L then its a 7afe. a 7age is your current block with a 4age head, from what i hear its a fairly potent motor. i don't know to much about them but im sure a search will bring some good info up.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
if you have a 7A-GE right now, i suggest to just rebuild it. if you wanna stroke it to 2L, ask Richard from TED Components if he has a stroker kit for it. i'm not 100% sure but i think that's where i saw it before.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
a 2.2L 3SGE swap would require you to swap transmissions and most likely would require custom motor mounts, big $$$.

If I was you I would just find a newer 7AFE motor and swap it for the old one, cuz at 400,000km chances are spending $5000 CDN on a motor swap wouldn't be worth it.. specially on a wagon. There's a few places in Toronto that specialize in japanese motor swaps, shouldn't be too difficult to get a japanese motor for your wagon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REN69 said:
a 2.2L 3SGE swap would require you to swap transmissions and most likely would require custom motor mounts, big $$$.

If I was you I would just find a newer 7AFE motor and swap it for the old one, cuz at 400,000km chances are spending $5000 CDN on a motor swap wouldn't be worth it.. specially on a wagon. There's a few places in Toronto that specialize in japanese motor swaps, shouldn't be too difficult to get a japanese motor for your wagon.
"specially on a wagon"??? Actually wagons are worth more than sedans. They hold thier value better. I agree $5k is too much for a new engine. The celica motor was just a thought.

If I were to turn my 7AFE corolla into a 7AGE would I need to alter my electronics or could it be a straight swap. I'd like more power but if it was going to cost too much I'd leave it stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts