Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Tailgating You
548 Posts
Name of car: BMW 318ti
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Nokia Hakkappellita
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195 R15
Pros: Stick on wet and snow like they are on rails.
Cons: Buzz like MTB tires on dry. Crap when cold and on dry. Easily break loose in 1st and 2nd gear. Cannot take temps more than +10.
Buy again?: YES. Nokia (now Nokian) are the best on snow, bar none. They are the only snow tire I recommend to my friends.

Name of car: BMW 318ti
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Michelin MXV4
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205 R15
Pros: Very quiet, good feel, amazing ride quality, acceptable grip on dry, poor in wet.
Cons: Poor in wet, hard cornering will cause buffed sidewalls. Got stuck in 3 cm of snow (no joke).
Buy again?: NO. Considering that we have a winter and summer set, there is no need to keep these all seasons. But otherwise, the answer will be yes for it's amazing ride quality.

Name of car: Toyota 4Runner
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone Dueller
Size of tire/Speed rating: 235 R 15
Pros: They are big. Um...that's it.
Cons: EVERYTHING! They don't grip on dry, they break loose in 3rd gear in wet, they skid around like crazy in snow. They buzz like crazy too. They don't squeel either...they sorta...moan.
Buy again: NO! The Dueller is a tire you would want to stay away from. I would not recommend these to anyone. Your first mod to your 4Runner should be to change these tires!

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,269 Posts
Name of car: 1992 Camry V6
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Michelin Energy MXV4
Size of tire/Speed rating: 215/55/16 H rated
Pros/Cons: Comfy touring tire, decent performance all year round. Expensive, can probably find comparable tire for less. The tire itself has been around for a long time.
Buy again? Nah...too expensive.

Name of car: 1992 Camry V6
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Toyo Proxie TPT
Size of tire/Speed rating: 215/55/16 H-rated
Pros/Cons: Uni-directional, performance all-season. Handles just fine for my Camry, haven't squealed on any corners yet. 400 treadwear rating, so will last a pretty long time (~100,000km warranty I think).
Buy again? Just did today for my gf...only $135+tax at Nantucket Tires and Mags. I wouldn't mind trying the Toyo F24 or the Dunlop Sport A2's.

·
it was all a dream
4,213 Posts
Name of car: 1994 Camry V6 Coupe
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Pirelli P400 Touring All-season
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/65/15 H rated
Pros/Cons: Very cheap to buy, light, very quiet, super comforable touring all-season tire. Shit in any condition other than dry. Readily available from my local mechanic. Horrifying in snow (im brave).
Buy again?: For comforable, quiet, who-gives-two-shits-about-performance-just-need-something-with-tread tire, yes I would.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Name of car: Solara
Brand of tire/Name of tire: BFG g-force KDWS
Size of tire/Speed rating: 235/45/17 ZR
Pros/Cons: Great in the dry and wet but not extraordinary. It wears pretty good and handles excellent. The only problem is that it's a bit noisy at times.
Buy again? Yes if price were not an issue.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Pirelli P6000 Supersport
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/55/16 ZR
Pros/Cons: Great in the dry and wet. Very quiet and comfortable, but wears very quickly. I put only 19k on the tires but they gripped well and even slid confidently. Buy again? Yes if price were not an issue.

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone RE92
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/60/16 ZR
Pros/Cons: Pretty good in the dry but awful in the rain. Very average for wear, comfort, and noise. I changed the tires after 5000k because I had absolutely no road feedback in the rain. Buy again? I wouldn't take them for free.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,631 Posts
Name of car: Supra Turbo
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Michelin Pilot Sport
Size of tire/Speed rating: 245/45/16 Z
Pros - Best tire I've ever owned or driven on. Rivaled (some say beaten)only by the Bridgestone Pole Positions. Quiet (relatively), unreal dry and wet grip. Can get somewhat greasy when heated up and pushed to the limits, but predictible. Surprisingly good wear for a tire with a 220 rating. I expect to get up to 30k or a little more out of them at this rate.
Cons - Very F'n expensive (...$330 CDN per corner now...glad I got a deal last year), high temperature greasiness, tempered though by being highly predictible.
Buy again? Absolutely, after I rob a bank.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Name of car: 94' Camry LE
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Nitto NT 450 Extreme Performance
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/50/16 91V
Pros/Cons: Great in the dry and wet condition. Snow, i haven't try it b4.
Buy again? Yes.:)

·
The terrorist
1990 Corolla SR5
3,058 Posts
Name of car: 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone/ Blizzak

Size of tire/Speed rating: 175/60/14

Pros: Great tires for winter, didn't even slip this year. I just think they might be a bit more expensive than other tires.. But they're worth it.

Cons: After wearing 50% of the tire it is pretty much and All-Season Compund rather than a winter soft compound. So, only the first half of the tread on the tire is great for winter, the rest is just like any other all season tire!!

Buy again?
Yes

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
Name of car: 2000 Camry
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Barum OR58
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/70R14 91H

Pros: Average dry handling. Good wet, slush, and light snow handling.

Cons: Soggy in corners. Suck factor 11 for ice and heavy snow. Also, they do not grip at all when pushed. Understeer city.
depending on how you look at it.

Buy again?
I needed some cheap but decent all seasons, and as these were $52 US/ea. they fit the bill. If it were summer and I needed cheap tires, probably. Winter, no, cause really they don't handle heavy snow as well as even the stock Dunlop SP40s did.

Edit: After purchasing some Yokohama Avid T4s ($42/ea. at Tirerack) I now realize the suckitude of these tires. Seriously, I would not recommend Barums at ALL.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Name of car: 2002 IS 300
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone RE040
Size of tire/Speed rating: 215/45/17 Z-rated
Pros/Cons: great in dry, but too slippery in rain, feels more like hydroplane than driving!!! (drove twice in the snow too...it was super SCARY...:eek:)
Buy again?nope...too expensive...i could get something better! (--> next review...:p )

Name of car: 2002 IS 300
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Yokohama Parada Spec II
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/40/18 Z-rated
Pros/Cons: great in dry...even GREATER in rain...!!! the car is so stable in the rain w/ these tires than the 040. although a little bit noisy (i can stand with it). super nice tire tread...treadwear is 300...not bad for a performance tire. The price is reasonable for $250 a piece
Buy again? YES

·
Registered
99 Toyota Camry V6
613 Posts
Name of car: 99 Camry V6 (supercharged 5 spd)
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Toyo Proxes FZ4
Size of tire/Speed rating: 215/45ZR17
Pros/Cons: Grips much better than my sumitomos, havent put more than 2k on them yet though
Buy again? definetly

Name of car: 99 Camry V6 (supercharged 5 spd)
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Sumitomo HTRZ II
Size of tire/Speed rating: 215/45 ZR17
Pros/Cons: Cheap, perform REALLY good for the price but are a little below the Proxes. Mine wore a little fast but then again all of my tires wear fairly fast :)
Buy again? yes if i need a good bang for the buck tire

·
Registered
38 Posts
Name of car: 95 Camry LE
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Dunlop SP40
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/70R14, S Rated

Pros/Cons: Cheap, about $70-$80 per tire installed; same brand/model as the set Camry originally came with.

Been using 3 sets (original, second set, and now 3rd set). However, the 3rd set seems to have worse braking/traction compare to the previous even though they are suppose to be the same and I notice this right after the tire change. Result is that I end up crashing my car due to poor traction(dry) of this perticular set and hard braking(no ABS):mad: :( .

Buy again? If you ask much earlier(like in 2002, when I had the 2nd set), I might since I have okay experience with previous 2, but not any more. so the answer is no.

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
Name of car: 1996 Toyota Camry LE 4 Cyl.
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Yokohama Avid TC320
Size of tire/Speed rating: 195/70 R14 S rated
Pros: Dirt cheap, long tread life...rated at like 130,000KM, decent dry traction for an S rated tire (100KM-0KM emergency brake with no squealing), decent in the snow also.
Cons: Not much grip in corners, soft sidewalls, a little noisy on the highway
Buy again? Probably not since i'm getting new wheels, but definitely a tire for the A-B drive within legal limits type of driver.

UPDATE: Just found out that I've managed to shift the belts in ALL FOUR of my tires after only 20,000 km. Just wanted to emphasize that these tires are NOT for ANY sort of aggressive driving.

·
Windom Owner
ES3
416 Posts
Name of car: 1997 ES300
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Dunlop FM901
Size of tire/Speed rating: 235/45-17 W rated (summer)
Pros: MAKE IN JAPAN, sticky tire-good tires on dry, good braking, nice pattern of the thread, Prices-only a bit($25-30) more than Kumho 712,
Cons: tire noise about 50km/h, soft side wall,

Name of car: 1997 ES300
Brand of tire/Name of tire:perille winter ICE
Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/65-15 Qrated (winter)
Pros: really good on snow/ice traction, long life, Quiet, soft compound
Cons: worse on Braking:D

·
The terrorist
1990 Corolla SR5
3,058 Posts
Name of car: 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5

Brand of tire/Name of tire: Toyo Proxies FZ4

Size of tire/Speed rating: 205/40/16 Z rated tires

Pros/Cons: I know most of you people say they're crap but I love them so far..

Buy again?
Yes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Name of car: SC430
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Bridgestone Potenza RE040 Run-Flat
Size of tire/Speed rating: 245/40ZR18
Pros: It's run-flat...
Cons: it performs poorly in both performance and comfort, so basically it sucks in everything...

Buy again?
Ya...because I don't want to carry spare tire in the trunk and I heard the Bridgestone RFT still performs better than Dunlop RFT.

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
Name of car: 92 Camry SE
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Falken/451
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/45/17 / Z rated 150mph
Pros/Cons: much more grip, good tread life/ road noise
Buy again? Definitely

jon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Name of car: 92 Camry LE
Brand of tire/Name of tire: Kumho Ecsta 711
Size of tire/Speed rating: 225/45/17 / H rated mph ?
Pros: these are my first performance tires, (had stock Dunlops)
traction is very good so far (only had them 500miles so far), and only have run in dry, no wet yet the ratings are good Treadware: 320 Traction: AA Temp: A and i got them installed and out da door for $418, the tread is good looking too
Cons: none yet
Buy again? Definitely

fris;)

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Model of car: '94 Camry V6 LE

Tire #1: Dunlop SP Sport 8000
Size of tire: P205-50-ZR17
Pros: Excellent wear for a 200 UTQG rated tire. I had about 35000 kms with these tires, and they were very good in both dry and wet conditions. The tires have grip readily available and the steering response with them are great. Braking was phenomenal with these tires. They never hydroplane either even when I am driving in excess of 160 km/h on the highway during a rain storm. Price was about $270 total for tire, which is not bad for the wear and performance it offered.
Cons: Extremely greasy when they were near the end of the tread life. Although there was still good tread on the tires (with about 30% tread left), the tires were becoming very slippery on dry pavement. Grip was no longer readily available and I had to fully warm up the tires before it started gripping okay.

Tire #2: BF Goodrich G-Force KD (ultimate dry performance)
Size of tire: P205-50-ZR17
Pros: Ultimate dry grip says it all. My car's suspension felt very soft all of a sudden because I was beginning to make crazy fast turns :D And I already have Koni struts, Eibach springs, Whiteline 18mm swaybar and so on. Straightline grip is nuts... I cannot spin these tires when I was still NA (pre- turbo). Even with my turbo now, these tires only chirps a bit and I am GONE way ahead. Basically, these tires reminds me of true R-compound race tires in turning grip, acceleration grip and braking, but comes along with great wear. So far, I have about 12000 kms on them (during non-winter months) and they still have about 60% tread left. Usually, my R-compounds will be all gone after 15000 kms.
Cons: Expensive... $320 a piece, and that's with crazy hookups. Retail is about $360 a piece. Wet grip sucks though...I will start hydrplaning when I start speeding on small streets with some water on the ground. If you want wet grip, steer away from these tires.

Model of car: '95 Acura Integra GSR (250+ WHP NA)

Tire #1: Pirello Pzero Assym
Size of tire: P205-45-ZR16
Pros: These tires are light as hell... they were only 14-15 lbs compare to other tires that are in the 20+ lb range. Braking was nice on these tires, and steering response was great in this size.
Cons: Poor wear... only lasted me 10000kms, which was worse than R-compounds! Handling grip was poor and they like to slide a lot, although predictable. Not a bang for the buck at all considering they were $240 a piece for my size, which was much more than other comparable tires. Never buying them again.

Tire #2: Toyo Proxes RA-1 (R-compound Race tires)
Size of tire: P205-50-ZR15
Pros: All the grip you will ever need on the streets...yes, I run them on the streets daily :D Crazy braking, grip, everything. Wear was actually very impressive considering I am already on my second set, and the first set lasted me for about 10000 kms -- ALL RACE MILEAGE with burnouts and everything. Price was only $200 a piece, which is a good bang for the buck. Wet handling was also amazing, which is a surprise. And of course, I can pull 1.0+g turns easily with these babies :lol:
Cons: Wet traction sucks when you start losing all the treads. The thing about R-compounds is that they are still perfectly fine when there is no tread left on them since they have about 30-40% of compound left still (hence, they sell shaved R-tires). When I start driving these so-called "bald" Race tires in the rain, I can't speed over 40 km/h...haha. When it rains, ask a friend to pick upi up, and don't drive :p

Model of car: '97 Acura 1.6EL

Tire #1: Dunlop SP Sport W-10
Size of tire: P195-50-ZR16
Pros: Great value, impressive braking performance. Ok wear, and they still grip ok near the end of its tread life. Nice stiff tirewalls, so they are pretty responsive, but straightline grip suffered.
Cons: Extremely noisy when you start wearing them down to about 60% tread life. They are greasy when the weather is cool, so they are no good if you drive a lot during summer nights when the pavement is cool.

Tire #2: Dunlop SP Sport W-10
Size of tire: P205-45-ZR16
Pros: Nice readily available grip because they are always soft. A bit of sloppy handling because the sidewalls flex a lot. Braking is amazing like most Dunlop tires, and wear on them are ok. I have about 12000 kms on them and they seem to have 80+% tread left on them. They are pretty quiet too, at least much quieter tham the previous W-10's. Of course, great value for these tires -- picked them up for about $130 each tire.
Cons: Sloppy steering response, but they do have good grip. They don't grip well on wet pavement, although they don't hydroplane. These tires also squeals easily even when they are no where near at the limits -- which does get somewhat annoying.

And basically, all the stock tires that came with my cars are all pieces of crap. That includes Dunlop D80V4 (Camry) and Michelin XGT V4/H4. I find all the OEM tires dangerous for my driving style :)

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
92 camry v6

motomaster touring lxr all season

215/60/15 (speed? you'd be stupid to go faster than 160 with them)

Pros: cheap (79$) they do hold the road pretty good though

Cons: weakest sidewall i've seen, bouncy crappy tire, made me nauseous on windy day

Buy again? i should have bought tires at the scrap yard

21 - 40 of 99 Posts