Toyota Nation Forum banner

Tires for Winter in Denver, Colorado

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  2VZ-FE 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone here has an old Toyota Corolla (1996) like me and has some recommendations on tires for the upcoming Winter weather here in Denver, CO.

The advice I've been getting here so far leans towards not purchasing snow tires, instead finding some great all-season tires.

I was looking at the Conti Control Contacts.

But, thought I'd put the question out here the experts and those who are actually driving in the upcoming weather.

Thanks!

-D

#4 ·
Whatever tire you buy, new tires will already meet the 3/16" minimum tread requirement for I-70. But, I would advocate for actual winter tires. You do need to stop and steer the car, which winter tires will provide superior control.

But, you'll also need a set of snow chains when CODOT calls for chain conditions.

#7 ·
If you have the room to store them you could get 4 cheap rims at a junkyard and get dedicated snow tires. This is what 94RollaDad does, but we'll wait to see what he says. I live in the Phoenix area, so I have no recommendations for snow tires. :giggle:

#9 ·
You can take or leave my specific recommendation for winter tires - the important thing is to get winter tires. What brand/model is secondary - even the worst winter tire outperforms an all-season in wintery weather. I'd venture to say most people who recommend all-seasons over winter tires haven't tried winter tires, and assume "because I've been able to survive on all-seasons that's the way to go". From a safety perspective winter tires are superior, and driving a 1996 small sedan you need all the safety you can get amidst all those SUVs out there :) But safety aside - winter tires make it FUN to drive when it's nasty outside!

The 14" rims make it extremely easy to swap tires. I do winter tire swaps on both our Corolla and the 17" rims on our Outback. Carrying and storing the 14" wheels is a breeze compared to the 17". There's also no TPMS so no re-programming needed. Easy! Not to mention tires for this car are super cheap compared to more modern larger tires. So if you can find a place to store the extra set there are not many excuses for not getting a second set!

My preferred tires - which I run on both our cars - is Michelin X-Ice IX3. The main difference between those and Blizzaks as I understand it from testing is that Blizzaks will slighly outperform X-Ice in pure snow, whereas the X-Ice are a bit better in all-around conditions including dry roads. I'd say you'll be in for a treat with either pick.

If you didn't want to run two set of rims I'd normally recommend an all-weather tire instead of an all-season tire. However I don't think you'll find an all-weather tire in this size.

As others have mentioned once I run the winter tires and it's foul weather it's the one condition where this poor old beater becomes a champ, leaving others (frequently literally) in the ditch. She's extremely capable with winter tires on. And I say this also owning a Subaru Outback AWD with winter tires. Obviously the Outback is a notch above, but I'll take the Corolla with winter tires over any AWD on all-seasons. The only shortcoming you'll potentially face on unplowed roads is the ride height.

I also have a pair of these in the trunk but I've never had to use them: Snow Chains for Tires, Best Tire Chains, Truck Tire Chains

I also have a snow shovel in the trunk - a proper one unlike the cheapos that break with the lightest of load - B2 Extendable Shovel

#12 ·
You can take or leave my specific recommendation for winter tires - the important thing is to get winter tires. What brand/model is secondary - even the worst winter tire outperforms an all-season in wintery weather. I'd venture to say most people who recommend all-seasons over winter tires haven't tried winter tires, and assume "because I've been able to survive on all-seasons that's the way to go". From a safety perspective winter tires are superior, and driving a 1996 small sedan you need all the safety you can get amidst all those SUVs out there :) But safety aside - winter tires make it FUN to drive when it's nasty outside!
I like the fun bit for sure. I'm leaning more towards the safety side of things as growing up Austin, Texas...then spending the last 8 years in the Bay Area has given me very little experience with "real" winter driving.

The 14" rims make it extremely easy to swap tires. I do winter tire swaps on both our Corolla and the 17" rims on our Outback. Carrying and storing the 14" wheels is a breeze compared to the 17". There's also no TPMS so no re-programming needed. Easy! Not to mention tires for this car are super cheap compared to more modern larger tires. So if you can find a place to store the extra set there are not many excuses for not getting a second set!
Agreed, the small size does make storage rather easy and rims on Amazon are right at $50/per...I'll have to check out the junkyard equivalents.

Question for ya @94RollaDad - Since my '96 is front-wheel drive only, I would think I only need the front two tires for the snow, keeping my nice all-season's on the back full time. Thoughts?

My preferred tires - which I run on both our cars - is Michelin X-Ice IX3. The main difference between those and Blizzaks as I understand it from testing is that Blizzaks will slighly outperform X-Ice in pure snow, whereas the X-Ice are a bit better in all-around conditions including dry roads. I'd say you'll be in for a treat with either pick.
I like the X-Ice build (including dry roads, as you said) given that the snow here in Denver stays on the ground for maybe 2 weeks, then it's gone 'til the next dump. I've been here for a couple of Christmas' visiting Family and didn't have any snow on the roads.

I also have a pair of these in the trunk but I've never had to use them: Snow Chains for Tires, Best Tire Chains, Truck Tire Chains

I also have a snow shovel in the trunk - a proper one unlike the cheapos that break with the lightest of load - B2 Extendable Shovel
Thanks for both links!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.