Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Texas and I drive about 15k miles 80% hwy per year. My scion iM 2016 with the oem Toyo tides showing wear as it is 45k miles now with 3.5 years of ownership.

Any tire recommendations? Scared of Michelin’s Rotting problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,401 Posts
I use hankook ventus nobleS1. It's an older model, but still available from retailers that carry hankook. I got my last 2 sets from discount tires.

They aren't too noisy and provides decent wet weather grip. It's an all season tire. Though, we don't see much rain in Arizona. My last set didn't last very long. I bought the previous set in 2016, and replaced them in 2019. Didn't have a ton of miles. Probably around 60k give or take. Road noise is not too bad either. I run 205/55/16. The original set from the factory is 195/55/16. Speedometer isn't off by much, estimate +/-2 mph.

Edit : 2006 Corolla xrs

·
Registered
288 Posts
on other cars, i have had GREAT luck with nokian entyre 2.0. when the tires on my iM die, that is what i'm getting. the low profile tires like on the iM are 60k mile warranty and normal profile tires which most corolla's have are 80k mile warranty. after 2500 miles i still had the 100% mark showing when i had them on my 2005 prius. they handle amazing in super monsoon rains, grip like amazing. handle great in snow. low rolling resistant so i got 51-53mpg with them on my prius. honestly the best tire i ever put on a car. just put them on my daughter's rav4. i go to walmart.com and do a search for nokian entyre 2.0 and look for the size i'm looking for. the tire specs on walmart are not correct. like load rating and mile warranty.. make sure you get the 2.0 ones, the other version aren't awesome.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,233 Posts
I have some Nokian winter tires that I like and I may try these down the road too. I've also had excellent results with General tires. The General AltiMAX RT43 is well liked by many people. The General G-MAX AS-05 is also a good tire for the money. I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and I love them for all out performance. They stick like glue and I loved the first set so much that I just bought another set last year.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have some Nokian winter tires that I like and I may try these down the road too. I've also had excellent results with General tires. The General AltiMAX RT43 is well liked by many people. The General G-MAX AS-05 is also a good tire for the money. I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and I love them for all out performance. They stick like glue and I loved the first set so much that I just bought another set last year.
Do the low profile altimax tires have pretty solid sidewalls? I have those tires on my saturn wagon and they are amazing tires traction wise in all conditions.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,233 Posts
Do the low profile altimax tires have pretty solid sidewalls? I have those tires on my saturn wagon and they are amazing tires traction wise in all conditions.
I've not run them in a 225/45R17 size but I hear nothing but great things about them. I bought a set for my daughters 2008 Yaris and they have been fantastic on her car.

·
Registered
2016 Corolla S 6/Spd
150 Posts
Go to Mavis Tire and get yourself a set of Nika Avatar's and have money left over for other mods!!! $220 for 4 17" tires for my '16 Corolla S........A tad noisier than stock but a quality tire for the price.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,233 Posts
Go to Mavis Tire and get yourself a set of Nika Avatar's and have money left over for other mods!!! $220 for 4 17" tires for my '16 Corolla S........A tad noisier than stock but a quality tire for the price.
I would never rely on a cheap tire that I've never heard of to be one of the most important parts on my car. A tire can make a huge difference in braking and steering affecting overall handling. Cheap tires can add many feet to braking distances and that can make the difference between getting in an accident and avoiding one. The best brake upgrade is a better tire. I've never forgotten this simple truth, because it's so true.

·
Registered
2016 Corolla S 6/Spd
150 Posts
I would never rely on a cheap tire that I've never heard of to be one of the most important parts on my car. A tire can make a huge difference in braking and steering affecting overall handling. Cheap tires can add many feet to braking distances and that can make the difference between getting in an accident and avoiding one. The best brake upgrade is a better tire. I've never forgotten this simple truth, because it's so true.
Just because you never heard of a tire doesn't make it a bad tire. If you prefer to spend big dollars on a highly recognized name please by all means do so. I am not a crash test dummy. This tire has been around for almost 10 years and has logged almost a million miles and on the Mavis site there are many, many positive reviews from Buyers who would proudly buy this tire again. So bargain doesn't always mean cheap and underperforming. I rely on my car as much as the next guy as I am a Realtor and drive a lot. If I can pocket the change that many name brand tires get you for because of their name well then that's what I choose to do. I have a lifetime warranty on all 4 tires and this provides me with peace of mind and the spare change to modify elsewhere.(y)

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,233 Posts
Just because you never heard of a tire doesn't make it a bad tire. If you prefer to spend big dollars on a highly recognized name please by all means do so. I am not a crash test dummy. This tire has been around for almost 10 years and has logged almost a million miles and on the Mavis site there are many, many positive reviews from Buyers who would proudly buy this tire again. So bargain doesn't always mean cheap and underperforming. I rely on my car as much as the next guy as I am a Realtor and drive a lot. If I can pocket the change that many name brand tires get you for because of their name well then that's what I choose to do. I have a lifetime warranty on all 4 tires and this provides me with peace of mind and the spare change to modify elsewhere.(y)
That is true but until I see a straight up comparison test proving they work as well as proven tires then I'll go with what has proven itself. My car and life is worth a little extra money. Most regular reviews don't go far enough because most regular drivers don't know the difference of any tires and how they work. I'll bet I could go out asking people the difference in a touring tire, A/S tire and a UHP A/S and most of them won't have much of a clue. I see this to be true of winter tires too as I always see people saying that they have A/S tires and they don't have any issues in snow when every comparison as proven how much better winter tires are over any A/S tire. I used to sell and install tires and 90% of people would come in saying they just want the cheapest tire in the right size. The majority of car owners know very little about anything on their car so the reviews you speak of are worthless on any tire. I'll love at the professional comparisons that know a thing or 2 about tires. ;) :unsure:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts