Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that the stock size is 215/60/16 but I just picked up a set of winter tires (Toyo Garit HT) that are 225/60/16 and wondering if there will be any issues.

I know that my speedometer reading will be 1.8% too slow so if I'm reading 60mph, I'll actually be travelling 61.1mph.

Will there be other issues (ie. rubbing) that I'm not aware of?

Otherwise, I've lined up another set of Toyo Observer G-02's that are the correct sizing (215-60-16) but the thing is that they were rated slightly worse than the Garit's.

Garit review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Toyo&tiremodel=Garit+HT
Observe review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Toyo&tiremodel=Observe+G-02+plus

Now, looking at numbers, they are fairly similar, but reading through the comments, there were much worse comments for the Observe.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if it would be okay to just stick with the Garit's which are slightly off size.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
I know that the stock size is 215/60/16 but I just picked up a set of winter tires (Toyo Garit HT) that are 225/60/16 and wondering if there will be any issues.

I know that my speedometer reading will be 1.8% too slow so if I'm reading 60mph, I'll actually be travelling 61.1mph.

Will there be other issues (ie. rubbing) that I'm not aware of?

Otherwise, I've lined up another set of Toyo Observer G-02's that are the correct sizing (215-60-16) but the thing is that they were rated slightly worse than the Garit's.

Garit review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Toyo&tiremodel=Garit+HT
Observe review: http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Toyo&tiremodel=Observe+G-02+plus

Now, looking at numbers, they are fairly similar, but reading through the comments, there were much worse comments for the Observe.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if it would be okay to just stick with the Garit's which are slightly off size.
225/60/16 tires will be no problem/have no issues.

·
Registered
2018 Avalon Hybrid XLE, 2018 Highlander XLE
48 Posts
H vs V rated Michelin Primacy MVX4

Can anyone give me their opinion on the H vs V rated Michelin Primacy MVX4. Is there any noticable difference in ride, handling, etc. The H are speed rated for 130mph & the V is rated at 149mph. Which would you go with & why? Thanks

·
Registered
'09 Camry Hybrid
25 Posts
Can anyone give me their opinion on the H vs V rated Michelin Primacy MVX4. Is there any noticable difference in ride, handling, etc. The H are speed rated for 130mph & the V is rated at 149mph. Which would you go with & why? Thanks
130mph is probably faster than I would drive a Camry Hybrid, so the "H" rated tire would be my choice.
However, the brakes, tires, and suspension of a Camry can be upgraded to offer increased safety at higher speeds.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Go to tirerack.com and compare..

Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rated - are cheaper, higher user rated, quieter, longer lasting and considerably less expensive....

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,801 Posts
I have the Michelin Primacy MXV4s with an 'H' rating on my Camry Hybrid and they are great. I have had them on for about a year and a half and I have had no problems. They have a great ride, great traction, and they provide similar fuel economy to the OEM tires. I really recommend these tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
H rated

I have the H rated michelins and they work great...They only last about 32000 miles on florida roads and heat. But Michelin gives you credit for not making the 65000 they are supposed to last. On my 2nd set

·
Registered Gator
99 Posts
I wasn't aware that Michelin made a V-rated Primacy MXV4. I know they make a Energy MXV4 S8 in both H-rated and V-rated.

FWIW : With 62,000+ miles on my original Michelin MXV4 S8 V's ; not needing to drive in snow ; not wanting a mileage reduction ; a rebate of $70 from TR and being very happy with them - I purchased another set of Energy MXV4 S8 V's which I will replace @ 65k+- ...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I went from a H Primacy to a V comfortred touring(goodyear) and the handling was crisper with no other penalties. If the car is rated for V buy V period. I have gone below the apeed rating on my Honda and took the tires back luckily to trade up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Taller tires

Can anyone tell me if I can fit 225/75-16s on my 2007 camry? I did the math and the old tire had a radius of 13" and this tire would have a radius of 14.5". Will the 1.5" difference cause a rub? I don't care what happens to the speedo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about 225/55/18? Anyone knows if this size will cause problems? It's a tad bigger than the 225/50/18. That's the size I normally have on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about 225/55/18? Anyone knows if this size will cause problems? It's a tad bigger than the 225/50/18. That's the size I normally have on.

I have 235/35/20's in the front and don't have any issues...

Once you get into the 245 range... then yes...
My rears have 245 and they rub during hard bounces or extra weight in rear.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry Hybrid
8 Posts
if someone doesn't mind, what are all the sizes that would be compatible? I have an XLE so stock is 17 inches, I'm looking at 16 inches for winter tires...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
OEM Michelin Primacy MXV4 93V Tire Update

Did my second tire rotation today at 18,000 km, with a careful measurement of the remaining tread, which started out new at 9.5/32". I was surprised at how much wear there was, and that it was not even across the tread. Here are the average measurements in 32's" for the 4 tread grooves, from outside to inside"

7.6 - 7.3 - 7.3 - 8.1

The minimum tread depth I measured was 7/32".

At 8,000 km the average was about 9/32". At the rate they are wearing they will only make 40,000 km when they reach 4/32". I see the Michelin warranty is supposed to be 100,000 km. It appears there is no way they will get close to that even if you went down to 2/32" as the warranty requires.

Any thoughts on how to go about getting a tread life warranty on these tires? In the past I have found tread life warranties are almost impossible to collect on.

The other issue here is that I have been running the Toyota recommended maximum pressure of 38 psi. However, it appears the center of the tire is wearing more than the outside, and there may be a downside to running the higher pressure. I adjusted the pressure back down to the standard pressure recommended by Toyota of 35. Will see in future rotations if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
351 Posts
In my case (2007 TCH) they lasted only about 45K miles (original) and the 2nd set has about 36K miles. Will make only 40K miles this time. Tires are rotated every 5K miles and balanced and aligned often. This is one thing I don't like about Michelin tires. We still have a corolla and Hankook cheapo last 85K miles everytime (supposed to last for 80K).

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Had them on my Saab 9-5 and put over 40k on them. When I sold it they were still going strong with at least 20k to go. Those were H rated though, may have been a harder compound. If I don't get 50k out of these I'll be pissed, after removing a perfectly good set of Bridgestones.
In the Camry 17" wheel size the H version has 11/32" for starting tread depth. The V version has 9.5/32". Interestingly Michelin provides a 100,000 km tread wear warranty for both versions regardless of starting tread depth. Consumer Reports however gives an excellent for tread wear to the 11/32" version and a very good for the 9.5/32" one.

In miles these ones I have look to be heading for a 25,000 mile life. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on my Mazda 3 looking like they are going to make 43,000 miles. Consumer Reports only rates them as good.

Something seems fishy about how long these Primacy tires are lasting... Perhaps I blew it by running them at 38 psi. The Pilot Exaltos are run at 32 psi.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,588 Posts
I had 3-4 different michelins (running Primacy MXV4 97H-rated right now) and all of these sets lasted 50-55% of what they should've. in US 97H rated Primacy rated at 60K miles, not expecting more than 35K out of it.
bought just because they were on sale and $70 rebate came on top of it.
running 39 front 37 rear- 12K on these tire s and they wear perfectly even.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
My tires were rotated at 8,000 km and now at 18,000 km. I was a little late on the second rotation. Both times I used the pattern C shown below. This forward cross pattern equalizes time front and back as well as side to side. It takes 4 rotations before they are back to where they start. In theory at least that provides for maximum tire life, but it can only be done with tires that are not directional. With directional tires you are stuck with just rotating them front to back on the same side.

At the rate these ones are wearing, I'm not sure they are going to make more than one complete rotation.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid LE
243 Posts
My owner's manual shows direct rotation from front to rear, staying on same side of car, so they think my tires are directional.
Mine are Michelin X Green Energy Saver A/S P205X65R16, on a 2012 Camry Hybrid LS.

I remember my 08 Corolla had this same tire rotation in owners manual.
If these tires are directional, could the cross rotation make premature wear?
I don't know, I'm asking.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts