Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Had them on my Saab 9-5 and put over 40k on them. When I sold it they were still going strong with at least 20k to go. Those were H rated though, may have been a harder compound. If I don't get 50k out of these I'll be pissed, after removing a perfectly good set of Bridgestones.
In the Camry 17" wheel size the H version has 11/32" for starting tread depth. The V version has 9.5/32". Interestingly Michelin provides a 100,000 km tread wear warranty for both versions regardless of starting tread depth. Consumer Reports however gives an excellent for tread wear to the 11/32" version and a very good for the 9.5/32" one.

In miles these ones I have look to be heading for a 25,000 mile life. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S on my Mazda 3 looking like they are going to make 43,000 miles. Consumer Reports only rates them as good.

Something seems fishy about how long these Primacy tires are lasting... Perhaps I blew it by running them at 38 psi. The Pilot Exaltos are run at 32 psi.

·
Registered
Camry Hybrid XLE
259 Posts
Something seems fishy about how long these Primacy tires are lasting... Perhaps I blew it by running them at 38 psi. The Pilot Exaltos are run at 32 psi.
Based on your tread depth numbers it would appear that way but I ran mine at 38F/36R on my Saab. Interestingly, since you mention it, I had Exalto's on my other 9-5 since it was more performance oriented and they didn't last as long as the Primacy's. 40k was about it. They were V rated of course. Both tires in same exact size - 215/55-16.

You're right, something fishy about such short tread life. I hope they didn't change the tread compound. I may have to air down a bit also which will hurt my highway mpg.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
I'm still running my mxv4 93V tires at 40 psi winter and summer. (read while driving) I checked the tread depth on all 4, but I only found the reading on the rears.

I only have around 17K miles on them. I have the tires rotated and balanced ever 5000 miles to keep them in good shape. The rears tires read 9.4 on one side and 8.9 on the other. I think the 9.4 reading was the outside tread. I will recheck all 4 tires on my next rot & bal in about 2000 more miles.

The strange wear worried me some due to the rear toe being 0.05 deg out on each side or 0.10 total toe. They were reset tot the correct 0.30 reading. The fronts were set to 0.10 deg and reset to specs, 0.00. This was found when the dealer did a 4 wheel alignment due to the steering tracking not meeting specs. After the alignment the steering was much better. I put the mxv4 primacy's on the car 2 days after I bought it to replace the oem bridgestones. The alignment was done maybe a month or so later held up due to the dealer changing to a new lager toyota building.

The wear I see now on the rears may be due to the direct rotation from the fronts that were on the toe edge of the toyota specs.

If you try for a in warranty alignment due to pulling or to sensitive steering, make sure maybe in writing, they will be no charge and will be shown in as warranty work. My dealer tried to hit me with a $98 charge once the alignment was done on a 2 week appointment. I reminded the service tech this was due to a alignment problem from he factory and should be in warranty. He marked it as such and didn't charge me anything.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
I had 3-4 different michelins (running Primacy MXV4 97H-rated right now) and all of these sets lasted 50-55% of what they should've. in US 97H rated Primacy rated at 60K miles, not expecting more than 35K out of it.
bought just because they were on sale and $70 rebate came on top of it.
running 39 front 37 rear- 12K on these tire s and they wear perfectly even.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My tires were rotated at 8,000 km and now at 18,000 km. I was a little late on the second rotation. Both times I used the pattern C shown below. This forward cross pattern equalizes time front and back as well as side to side. It takes 4 rotations before they are back to where they start. In theory at least that provides for maximum tire life, but it can only be done with tires that are not directional. With directional tires you are stuck with just rotating them front to back on the same side.

At the rate these ones are wearing, I'm not sure they are going to make more than one complete rotation.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid LE
243 Posts
My owner's manual shows direct rotation from front to rear, staying on same side of car, so they think my tires are directional.
Mine are Michelin X Green Energy Saver A/S P205X65R16, on a 2012 Camry Hybrid LS.

I remember my 08 Corolla had this same tire rotation in owners manual.
If these tires are directional, could the cross rotation make premature wear?
I don't know, I'm asking.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My owner's manual shows direct rotation from front to rear, staying on same side of car, so they think my tires are directional.
Mine are Michelin X Green Energy Saver A/S P205X65R16, on a 2012 Camry Hybrid LS. I remember my 08 Corolla had this same tire rotation in owners manual.
If these tires are directional, could the cross rotation make premature wear?
I don't know, I'm asking.
They are just covering their butt with the manual, as they don't know what specific tire will be on it, especially after it is in the hands of the owner. Front to back, same side works with either directional or non directional tires, so it is the fail safe option. However it is said to deliver less tread life than the front crossover pattern.

From the Michelin info on line I see no mention of the Energy Saver A/S tires being directional. Check the sidewalls to be sure, as there will be a directional arrow on the sidewall if they are.

I mistakenly did the front crossover pattern with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on my Mazda 3. They are directional (have the arrows on the sidewall), and it appears they will still achieve rated tread life when they are down to 4/32". I suspect all it does is affect the so called wet handling performance. I never noticed any difference in handling as I rotated them. However, I will not do it again. Nor will I buy directional tires, as it limits your rotation pattern.

The Primacy MXV4 are not directional. Not sure about the Bridgestone Turanza.

·
Registered
2012 TCH
592 Posts
They are just covering their butt with the manual, as they don't know what specific tire will be on it, especially after it is in the hands of the owner. Front to back, same side works with either directional or non directional tires, so it is the fail safe option. However it is said to deliver less tread life than the front crossover pattern.

From the Michelin info on line I see no mention of the Energy Saver A/S tires being directional. Check the sidewalls to be sure, as there will be a directional arrow on the sidewall if they are.

I mistakenly did the front crossover pattern with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on my Mazda 3. They are directional (have the arrows on the sidewall), and it appears they will still achieve rated tread life when they are down to 4/32". I suspect all it does is affect the so called wet handling performance. I never noticed any difference in handling as I rotated them. However, I will not do it again. Nor will I buy directional tires, as it limits your rotation pattern.

The Primacy MXV4 are not directional. Not sure about the Bridgestone Turanza.
WOW, I'm surprised you don't want to own tires that have all the advantages that directional tires afford.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
Any thoughts on how to go about getting a tread life warranty on these tires? In the past I have found tread life warranties are almost impossible to collect on.
/QUOTE]

Stopping spinning those front tires?:lol:
"discount tires" honors warranty on all their tires. you need original receipt and mileage + tread measurements and ODO reading taken when tires are bold.
you'll prorated for new tires. not sure how they calculate proration amount, but it usually helps a bit if you buying new set and pulling 7-800 out of pocket.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The problem I had with treadlife warranties is Sam's for example, wants you to run down to 2/32 or below. I really think that is pushing it when you think in terms of safety in wet or winter slop driving conditions. I am not real comfortable with my wife driving her van around full of kids with bad tires.

I think a key aspect to consider here is cool weather. I am thinking it makes more sense to inflate higher when it is cold, since I already see a higher warm temp pressure than what i saw in the cold weather.

·
Registered
Camry Hybrid XLE
259 Posts
Today, while on my road trip, I dropped my tire pressure back down to 36/34 (from 40/37) and the steering feel is improved. Not as sensitive and feels better weighted. still doesn't track great but it seems to be a noticeable improvement. Based on Ron's feedback it may also help tire life.

·
Registered
273 Posts
swapping xle tires and wheels with le tires and wheels

What do you think? Will the xle get the same mpg as le?

·
Registered
'10 Venza, '11 Camry
70 Posts
Are the tires the same height? If so, it shouldn't make any difference in regards to your gas mileage. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid that had the factory alloy wheels with 215/60/16 tires. I bought aftermarket 17 inch rims and put 215/55/17 tires on them (exact same size as the Camry SE) and there was no difference in fuel economy and the speedometer still reads correctly because the tire height is the same. Hope this helps.

- Mario

·
Registered
273 Posts
Are the tires the same height? If so, it shouldn't make any difference in regards to your gas mileage. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid that had the factory alloy wheels with 215/60/16 tires. I bought aftermarket 17 inch rims and put 215/55/17 tires on them (exact same size as the Camry SE) and there was no difference in fuel economy and the speedometer still reads correctly because the tire height is the same. Hope this helps.

- Mario
No, I mean using P205/65R16 alloy wheels instead of the P215/55R17 of XLE.

·
Registered
'10 Venza, '11 Camry
70 Posts
As long as the height of the actual tire is the same, it shouldn't matter. The size of the wheel/rim has nothing to do with the overall tire height. Take one of each tire and put them side-by-side to compare. I have posted a link below to try to explain it a little better.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoPlusSizing.dos

·
Registered
273 Posts
As long as the height of the actual tire is the same, it shouldn't matter. The size of the wheel/rim has nothing to do with the overall tire height. Take one of each tire and put them side-by-side to compare. I have posted a link below to try to explain it a little better.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoPlusSizing.dos
The link talks about the look and performance. It did not talk about MPG. In another forum thread some people said Camry Hybrid XLE MPG differences with the LE model is due to the tires. This is why I got the idea of swapping the xle tires and wheels with the le.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
What do you think? Will the xle get the same mpg as le?
Some things to consider:

1. The EPA rates the LE at 41 mpg combined, and the XLE at 40 mpg combined. The EPA do not report down to the .1 of a mpg, and round off. The actual test results could have been 40.5 for the LE and 40.4 for the XLE. In other words the difference could be simple round off and is insignificant compared to the measurement error.

2. The only obvious difference in the models is the wheel and tire size. There is a small weight difference but that is probably insignificant. What you don't know is the specific tire used in the EPA test. Toyota would know, but I don't know where you could find it. The rolling resistance of the specific tire could easily account for the difference in fuel economy. It may or may not be more significant than the tire size. Consumer Reports data is unclear as to which tire may have lower rolling resistance.

3. The LE uses steel wheels while the XLE uses larger cast aluminum. Could the cast aluminum be heavier? That would be my guess. However you would have to weigh them to know. Significant?

4. The EPA tracks self reported mpg. Currently the average for the 2012 models is 40.2 for the LE, and 38.5 for the XLE. If you rounded them off like EPA does for the test data, that would be 40 for the LE and 39 for the XLE. It would seem that the very slight advantage of the LE is validated. Could it also be the those who buy the LE are more cost conscious and drive differently than those who buy the XLE? Or, is it the smaller wheels and higher profile tires on the LE?

5. In Canada I believe the LE comes with Michelin Energy while the XLE comes with Michelin Primacy. The revolutions per mile of the Energy is 786 while the Primacy is 791. This is in favour of the Primacy. It is reporting more mileage for the same distance traveled. This can be ruled out as the reason

The bottom line is that I think you would be chasing shadows trying to replicate the EPA test results, especially if you use cast aluminum tires instead of steel, and if you don't use exactly the same tires as they used for the EPA test. It is also very costly to change wheels and tires. You are unlikely to ever make your money back on improved fuel economy if you even get any. Best bet would be to keep the wheels and when the tires wear out do some research and buy the most fuel efficient version currently available. Tires are improving all the time.

·
Registered
2013 TCH XLE
4 Posts
I've thought about this too, I wish someone would get a set of LE tires/wheels and install them on XLE TCH of same '12/13 year. and report the results over like 5-10 tanks. I'd be interested- would even use my '13 XLE, if someone has a set of LE 16" not in use.
if 2mpg can be gained (on average) by going to 16" low resistance tires (and comparable 16" wheels)- that's 5% increase. This may also be useful info for someone looking to do a non-factory wheel replacement options.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
I don't think it would be safe to swap 17" tires for the XLE to 16" wheels and tires. Cars today near all include overdrive where the engine spins slower reducing friction and helping the miles per gallon. If you installed the shorter 16" wheels and tires on a car that's designed for 17" ones, the mpg would drop significantly.

A exaggeration of that would be a car driving along in 3rd gear, then for some reason it had to drive in 2nd gear all the time. The engine spins much faster increasing the engine friction and using more gas.

21 - 40 of 144 Posts