Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
2013 TCH
12 Posts
Michelin Serial Numbers

Getting ready for the first tire rotation on our TCH.

Does each Michelin tire have an individual serial number?

I would like to have some way of monitoring the location of each tire to ensure that they are being rotated properly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Put a little dot on the tire(s) with a paint stick. If the dot was in front, make sure it's on the rear on the same side after rotation.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,943 Posts
Yep, what I've done in the past is use a #2 pencil and simply write the tire number at a specific spot. It's easy to see if you know where to look, but it's innocuous enough so that a mechanic handling the tire most likely will not see it.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
pencil/sharpy marks will disappear sooner or later. use utility blade and make smal shallow cuts in certain place (let say across TPMS) and you'll have permanent marks. get a piece of paper or something and assign these marks to locations on the TPMS screen and you'll know for sure which tire getting low on air.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you could always mark the barrel in the wheels as well. It's not like they are taking off the tire from the rim every time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Can anyone give me their opinion on the H vs V rated Michelin Primacy MVX4. Is there any noticable difference in ride, handling, etc. The H are speed rated for 130mph & the V is rated at 149mph. Which would you go with & why? Thanks
Hi.

I know this is an old post but can you tell us what you choose and how it has worked out for you? Primacy H vs V rated? Or anyone else who was in a similar situation?

I have origional Bridstone that are hard as a rock and want to get something software that will hopefully not make my MPG worse.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I have the OEM V version Primacy and based on tread wear measurements, I am not predicting a super long tread life. If I had a choice I would select the H version for the thicker tread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buy whichever is on sale. The "V" rated tires will have stronger sidewalls that enable them to be stable (and run cooler) at the higher speeds.

In reality no one "needs" higher speed ratings since you'd rarely drive at those speeds, but this is merely a rating. The higher the speed rating the stiffer the tire, and theoretically, the better the turn in and handling. Since most cars using the higher speed rating tires are sports cars, the tread is also usually softer to increase the grip along with the stiffer sidewalls.

Check the tirewear ratings, too, along with the speed ratings and get the ones that offer you the best compromise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can I use 15" steelies as winter tires?

Just got my Camry hybrid XLE a month ago, found some good information on this form regarding fuel economy and eco mode etc... couldn't find whether or not my current winters will work on my car though. I have winter tires already from my last vehicle, 215/70/r15. The overall size is comparable to what the camry has, but is a 15" rim big enough to fit over the brakes?

·
Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
611 Posts
Just got my Camry hybrid XLE a month ago, found some good information on this form regarding fuel economy and eco mode etc... couldn't find whether or not my current winters will work on my car though. I have winter tires already from my last vehicle, 215/70/r15. The overall size is comparable to what the camry has, but is a 15" rim big enough to fit over the brakes?
Easiest thing to do is to jack up the car and try. Gut level, given that even the most basic Camry Hybrid comes with 16's, the answer is likely no, but trying it is quick and relatively easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tire question

I have a question for you tire experts out there. Our 2012 Camry Hybrid LE has about 35k miles on some Michelin Green X tires. We had been running low on air on one of the tires and the Toyota dealer determined that it was not patchable. They recommended a new tire to be put on. So we had that one tire replaced. Should I have had BOTH front tires replaced? Now I have 3 tires with 35k miles and a brand new one, all the same tire though, but I'm wondering if I should go back and have at least one more replaced. They didn't seem to think it was a big deal when I spoke to them.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
That is the dilemma you face when forced to replace a tire. In that situation I usually go to a tire dealer that has lots of used tires and pick one out the same size, and as much tread as the remaining tires on the car.

I thought I was in the same situation as you the other day. For a week I could hear something clunking when driving slow or on very smooth pavement even at highway speeds. I began to think wheel bearing, but I finally felt around all the tires and found a self tapping bolt in one of the tires. It was near the edge and I'm sure if I went to a Toyota dealer or a Costco they would not fix it. About 6 months ago I ran into the same issue on my daughter's car. Too close to the edge, we can't fix it. At that time I decided enough of this and bought a $6 tire plugging kit. I put a plug in her tire (an expensive Michelin), and it has been fine since. The other day, I did the same with the tire on the Camry. I pulled out the bolt with a pair of vice grips, cleaned the hole, with the special tool in the kit, and installed a plug. It is holding just fine.

So next time that is what I suggest doing. For the situation you are in now, I would just leave it as it is, and replace all four when the three wear out. It is kind of a waste of that newer tire, but what else can you do. Buying a second new tire just digs the hole deeper, unless you want to start replacing the tires in pairs instead of as a complete set. I don't like doing that. I guess your other option if the tires are nearing wear out is to replace the remaining three now...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Ron!

I was hoping they would plug it, but with it being the wife's car, I didn't want a frantic call from the highway. I think you are right, I'll just replace all four when the time comes.

You think the mpg would suffer at all from this combination?

·
Registered
2017 Avalon Premium
449 Posts
Tires

The new Honda Hybrid uses the Michelin Premier A/S tire. Has anyone had any experience with this tire?

·
Registered
2012 TCH LE
5 Posts
Tires Dilemma

Bought a lease return 2012 TCH LE. The dealership put new Kelly "Explorer Plus" tires on it. I'm a hard core Michelin guy, but I thought, "Cool -- new tires. I'll see how they do."

Well, I don't like them.

Internet research says Michelin Primacy MXV4s are the bomb for this car. So I call my local tire store (which is conveniently running a $70 Michelin rebate).

Me: "Hi. I'm looking for 205 65R/16s in Michelin Primacy MXV4."

Tire Guy: "Let me check the computer. Nope. Not able to get those. The Primacy MXV4 is being discontinued. Maybe try the Energy Saver."

Me: "What do you have in stock for my 2012 Camry Hybrid LE?"

Tire Guy: "We'll have to special order anything you want. That's a very oddball sized tire."

Me: "You mean the car that's often the best selling car in the U.S. has oddball sized tires?!!"

Recommendations?

No internet results show anyone as happy with other tire choices, nor does Consumer Reports like any others as well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's not a good sign when Tire Rack doesn't list the MXV4. They only list Continental and Yokahama, both of which are listed as LRR.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One option is to go with a more common size: 215 60R16 is only .3 inch too small in diameter and 225 60R16 is 0.1 inch too tall. I went with the smaller size for my winter tires and had no problems (only a small speedometer error; less than 5%).

In both cases the error is less than the typical thread wear thickness. I would personnally stay away from the wider size because you would likely see a drop in mileage with the extra drag.

Yves

61 - 80 of 143 Posts