Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have Primacy on one camry and Energy Savers on another and no matter what ppl say I'd stay behind my opinion; the Energy Savers are better tires than the Primacys. Both tires are quiet, but the Energy Saver offers notisably better better wet and dry grip and better snow/ice traction. Seems to me it also wears better.
Go for Energy Saver or Pirelli P7 plus Cinturato.
I see Michelin Energy A/S listed on Tirerack but not Energy "Saver". Did you mean to say you have Energy A/S tires on one of your Camries? TIA.

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
I read up some on these new Premier A/S tires mentioned above. Looks like they will be a better tire than the Primacy MXV4's I have been using.

Michelin mentions this new tire has good traction even when the tread wears down due to some new method of tapered tread design. Something about improved stopping and traction due to the tread design and rubber compound used.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/premier-a-s-tires?Wt.mc_id=Paid%2520Search;Google;michlen%20man&WT.srch=1&mkwid=s8ULx5BTv&gclid=CJf__OjO5L4CFUOSfgod754Aeg

Interesting details..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=182

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have Primacy on one camry and Energy Savers on another and no matter what ppl say I'd stay behind my opinion; the Energy Savers are better tires than the Primacys. Both tires are quiet, but the Energy Saver offers notisably better better wet and dry grip and better snow/ice traction. Seems to me it also wears better.
Go for Energy Saver or Pirelli P7 plus Cinturato.
I do see the Energy Savers now if I search by the tire size. But somehow they don't appear if I search by Vehicle. I see the Energy Savers are T-rated and that's probably the reason why.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
I do see the Energy Savers now if I search by the tire size. But somehow they don't appear if I search by Vehicle. I see the Energy Savers are T-rated and that's probably the reason why.
"Savers A/S" listed under "passenger all season" as Energy Saver A/S.
I had a few T-rated tires and never had an issue with lower speed rating. my previous tires were T-rated Pirelli P4 and they had much better wet/ snow traction and longer life than V-rated H rated Primacy and V-rated Energy MXV4 s8.

·
Registered
201 Posts
"Savers A/S" listed under "passenger all season" as Energy Saver A/S.
I had a few T-rated tires and never had an issue with lower speed rating. my previous tires were T-rated Pirelli P4 and they had much better wet/ snow traction and longer life than V-rated H rated Primacy and V-rated Energy MXV4 s8.
I believe some places like Walmart and Samsclub will only install H-rated tires for H-rated vehicles.

Regarding the Energy Saver A/S, how much of a difference if any you may have noticed MPG-wise?

Also, how would you compare the Energy Savers with the Pirelli P7. Have you had any experience with the latter? I am considering the latter as they are available at Samsclub. TIA.

·
Premium Member
'13 TAH & '10 FJC
895 Posts
I believe some places like Walmart and Samsclub will only install H-rated tires for H-rated vehicles.
Many places will not replace your tires with other than the tire specs rated for by the manufacturer. Some will put on a 'better' rated tire. Some will not even allow that. It all comes back to liability and most of the major players (Discount Tire, Costco, etc.) don't want to go there at all.

Although not much of an issue, as a retired accident reconstructionist, I can say that having tires rated at less than the manufacturer recommends can create issues in major accidents. You have to remember that the point where attorneys get involved is the point where, on both sides of the coin, they are trying to push a percentage of 'fault' or 'responsibility'. If the tires on the vehicle have, for example, a lower speed rating than recommended (like a T rating versus a manufacturer recommended H or V) and speed is an issue in the crash, you can bet that it will come up. Handling capabilities are another that I saw come up.

We are not, of course, speaking of fender benders here. These are accidents where there is major injury/damage/death. By definition, an 'accident' is an unintended act that causes death, injury, and/or property damage. The very nature of 'unintended' is the reason why I just stick to the manufacturer recommendations. I sat many a day in court cases where a percentage of fault and or responsibility was assigned for what some would call minor modifications to vehicles. I consider changing a tire spec (many do it to save money, and I certainly understand) when replacing OE tires more than a minor mod as it can open up a 'can-of-worms' that could be avoided.

JMHO.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
yes, but you always can go to another place.

Regarding the Energy Saver A/S, how much of a difference if any you may have noticed MPG-wise?
none. I never was trying to see if there is any difference though.

Also, how would you compare the Energy Savers with the Pirelli P7. Have you had any experience with the latter? I am considering the latter as they are available at Samsclub. TIA.
I never had P7 on my car, so can't comment on it, but considering Tire rack survey and my previous experience with Pirelli, I'm planning to put P7's on my car as soon as my Primacy's will reach "wear" bars. Currently P7's are the highest rated tires in their category on TRack.com and Pirelli run $60 rebate on them.

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
Although not much of an issue, as a retired accident reconstructionist, I can say that having tires rated at less than the manufacturer recommends can create issues in major accidents. You have to remember that the point where attorneys get involved is the point where, on both sides of the coin, they are trying to push a percentage of 'fault' or 'responsibility'. If the tires on the vehicle have, for example, a lower speed rating than recommended (like a T rating versus a manufacturer recommended H or V) and speed is an issue in the crash, you can bet that it will come up. Handling capabilities are another that I saw come up.
so, even if accident occurred under the T-rated tires speed limit they still will try to "fault" you?
how about test results that prove that tires speed rating has very little to none to do with tire's traction under the posted speed limits and thread depth, rubber compound and road surface condition have much greater influence on the traction and braking distance vs tire speed rating?
in any case, LE and TCH LE comes with T-rated tires, so we can go with T and H rating. :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
I never had P7 on my car, so can't comment on it, but considering Tire rack survey and my previous experience with Pirelli, I'm planning to put P7's on my car as soon as my Primacy's will reach "wear" bars. Currently P7's are the highest rated tires in their category on TRack.com and Pirelli run $60 rebate on them.
Did you mean to refer to something else than P7 in the below post?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/603745-you-really-saving-any-money-4.html#post5691169

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
Replaced my Primacy's with Conti PureContact which is LRR. So far so good.
Let us know how that turns out for you! I'm interested as I almost purchased this tire before my last set! I did read about tracking issues with them and did not purchase them as a result.

I for one, will not purchase the Michelin's again. Over rated, over priced, don't hold balance well, wear unevenly, did not track well and just as noisy as any other tire I have had on this car after 30-40,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
'13 TAH & '10 FJC
895 Posts
so, even if accident occurred under the T-rated tires speed limit they still will try to "fault" you?
how about test results that prove that tires speed rating has very little to none to do with tire's traction under the posted speed limits and thread depth, rubber compound and road surface condition have much greater influence on the traction and braking distance vs tire speed rating?
in any case, LE and TCH LE comes with T-rated tires, so we can go with T and H rating. :D
The interesting issue is 'percentage fault', which both criminal attorneys and insurance companies use to their advantage. They are not interested in scientific fact as much as convincing a judge/jury/civil mediator that there should be a percentage of fault assigned to the other party due to 'whatever', which includes things like a car with OE 'H' rated tires that has only 'T' rated tires at the time of the accident (the old 'what if' argument). Their job is to get some assigned percentage of fault assigned to the other side. It can result in tens of thousands, sometimes millions, of dollars going one way or another. It can also be used to reduce a criminal sentence. I've seen insurance companies refuse to pay based on vehicle 'modifications' that were not reported to the insurance company.

One thing I certainly learned in my position and dealing with insurance companies and lawyers was that it was all just a big game...and after the game was over, they would pat you on the back, tell you they were impressed with your testimony, then buy you a beer, no matter how hard they tried to make you look like a fool earlier in the day. Kinda like politics, I guess...

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,494 Posts
Also, at the Pirelli site, I see (at least) 3 different versions of P7:

Cinturato P7
Cinturato P7 All Season
Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

It's confusing. I wish they didn't do that.

Although for the 215/60 R16 size they show only the last.
I was referring to Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
LE/TCH LE comes with 205/65/16, no?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was referring to Cinturato P7 All Season Plus.
LE/TCH LE comes with 205/65/16, no?
Yes. You seem to have a typo in the below post, where you mentioned you had P7 on your car. Did you mean to say P4? If so, you may want to correct the post so people aren't dissuaded from considering P7 Cinturato:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/105-camry-hybrid/603745-you-really-saving-any-money-4.html#post5691169

UPDATE: I made this post before I read David's post above that he was referring to the plain Cinturato P7 in the other thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New Tires.........Wow!!!

I just replaced my Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires with Firestone Affinity Touring.
Wow!! a 50% reduction in road noise and smoother ride and handling!!
Now I will just have to drive a while and see how much of a gas mileage hit I take?????

I have a 2010 TCH, I never have liked the old tires.
In recent heavy rains they gave me very poor traction and seem to hydroplane. 40,000 miles on old tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just replaced my Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires with Firestone Affinity Touring.
Wow!! a 50% reduction in road noise and smoother ride and handling!!
Now I will just have to drive a while and see how much of a gas mileage hit I take?????

I have a 2010 TCH, I never have liked the old tires.
In recent heavy rains they gave me very poor traction and seem to hydroplane. 40,000 miles on old tires.
With 40k miles I would expect some hydroplaning, eh?

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
That is very interesting! Thanks for the info. I need to look in to those next time if we still own the car.

Funny thing about that.... I remember switching from Michelin tires to Firestone Destination A/T tires on my truck a few years ago. The difference was night and day! The Firestones had a better ride, were much quieter, wear more even and do better off road. All around a better tire.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts