Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 144 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone downsize from the 18" to 16" for winter? Planning on doing 205/65R16 for winter (which is what the base model Camry has) on my 2019 Camry Hybrid SE.

·
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
9 Posts
Change Wheels and Tires on 2019 Camry Hybrid LE

Hello all. I just purchased a 2019 Camry Hybrid LE and would like to change over either the wheels and tires or maybe just the 16" steel wheels. I found a posting here that provides information on the sizes that work on the car but I have some specific questions. My first thought is to replace the steel wheels with alloys. Would there be a problem removing the current stock tires and placing them on a 16" alloy instead of the steel wheels? Would I lose mpg or would there be a change to the speedometer? What about if I replaced the tires and wheels with 18" rims. Would they fit and how much of a drop in mpg should I expect. Also, would there be a difference in the speedometer and if so, can it be recalibrated. Thanks all....I'm loving my car and am completely surprised at how well it drives.

·
Registered
'18 Camry Hybrid XLE
15 Posts
With tires... It depends!

You can use 16, 17 or 18" wheels. If you get the right sized tires then the speedometer will stay correct. I think TireRack.com will give you tire size options that you can use. (as you go up in rim size you change to a shorter sidewall so overall the tire is the same diameter)

Larger rims add to unsprung weight and from what I've read it will cost you some mileage, how big a difference I don't know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
most of the time the car is quiet but everything depends on the road surface, and there's a lot of long stretches of I-5 through Oregon that are incredibly coarse and noisy - really hits you when you transition back and forth from smooth to rougher surface even when the surface looks to be in very good shape - maybe it's purposely roughened up for traction in the rain or something?

At any rate, the noise is wearing during a long drive, we have to turn up the stereo, which is kind of hard on the ears and psyche also. My car came with Firestone FT140 tires, low rolling resistance I'm told. But man, they are noisy - does anybody know of tires that would be quieter but also have LRR? I've always had good luck with Michelins, but we had them on our 2010 Prius and they were very noisy, again depending on the road surface. This Camry isn't nearly as well insulated as it should be - besides the noise, I can tell when closing the doors, which sound hollow and tinny. I'm thinking of getting insulation installed at least in the doors, maybe trunk, not something I want to tackle myself, wonder how much that costs in labor.

BTW, we've got only 8.400 miles on this car after almost two years - we have two other cars and combined I guess we put on 12,000 a year. Anyway, the Camry says it's getting 42.5 mpg - not nearly what was promised but better than the Prius ever was. We don't do a lot of freeway, mostly around town but also longer trips for which we often take back roads. Lots of mountains around here, seems you don't recoup the mpgs lost going uphill when you go downhill.

most of the time the car is quiet but everything depends on the road surface, and there's a lot of long stretches of I-5 through Oregon that are incredibly coarse and noisy - really hits you when you transition back and forth from smooth to rougher surface even when the surface looks to be in very good shape - maybe it's purposely roughened up for traction in the rain or something?

At any rate, the noise is wearing during a long drive, we have to turn up the stereo, which is kind of hard on the ears and psyche also. My car came with Firestone FT140 tires, low rolling resistance I'm told. But man, they are noisy - does anybody know of tires that would be quieter but also have LRR? I've always had good luck with Michelins, but we had them on our 2010 Prius and they were very noisy, again depending on the road surface. This Camry isn't nearly as well insulated as it should be - besides the noise, I can tell when closing the doors, which sound hollow and tinny. I'm thinking of getting insulation installed at least in the doors, maybe trunk, not something I want to tackle myself, wonder how much that costs in labor.

BTW, we've got only 8.400 miles on this car after almost two years - we have two other cars and combined I guess we put on 12,000 a year. Anyway, the Camry says it's getting 42.5 mpg - not nearly what was promised but better than the Prius ever was. We don't do a lot of freeway, mostly around town but also longer trips for which we often take back roads. Lots of mountains around here, seems you don't recoup the mpgs lost going uphill when you go downhill.
I would buy Michelin Defender tires. They are quiet and MPG does not suffer.

My car came with Firestone FT140 tires, low rolling resistance I'm told. But man, they are noisy - does anybody know of tires that would be quieter but also have LRR? I've always had good luck with Michelins, but we had them on our 2010 Prius and they were very noisy, again depending on the road surface.
I'd recommend good noise-cancelling headphones like the new AirPods Pro. :)

My guess is that different tires won't make a dramatic difference in road noise as road noise seems to be mostly related to the actual road surface. Additional sound proofing material may be the only effective way to reduce noise.

Have you tried different psi levels in the tires to see if that makes any difference?

Good luck with whatever you do; please keep us posted.

I'd recommend good noise-cancelling headphones like the new AirPods Pro. :)

My guess is that different tires won't make a dramatic difference in road noise as road noise seems to be mostly related to the actual road surface. Additional sound proofing material may be the only effective way to reduce noise.

Have you tried different psi levels in the tires to see if that makes any difference?

Good luck with whatever you do; please keep us posted.
I think you may be right about the cause of road noise. I haven't tried adjusting psi because these tires are filled with nitrogen and I'm a little leery of messing with that just in case it's actually doing something beneficial. Adding something like this may indeed be the best bet. I wonder what kind of shop installs this stuff because there's no way I'm going to take apart four doors full of power equipment and windows.

You want good mpg, you buy LRR - low rolling resistance tires. You want comfort - you buy touring tires.
This is, basically, end of discussion. From that on, it's nothing but biased opinions on what someone bought.

Ecopia's are decent but I have not had them for a few years.

I really hate oil, filter and tire threads but, best tire I ever had and best I ever had for hybrids is Yokohama LRR.

Also, here's this, what pretty much answers ANY question on tires.

I really hate oil, filter and tire threads but, best tire I ever had and best I ever had for hybrids is Yokohama LRR.
Sorry. Mundane I know, but it's a measure of my frustration with the noise. Maybe Toyota will soundproof its later models if they get enough criticism, like they did about ApplePlay. I promise to never post about oil and filters and never again about tires! The Camry is the nicest car I've ever owned and I do like it a lot - I rate it at about 90%. FWIW, Consumer Reports rates the Michelin Defender and Bridgestone Ecopia as best on noise; Michelin only average on LRR, the Bridgestone also best in LRR (but otherwise rated lower).

We had tires, oils and filters discussed ad nauseam and beyond any doubt and, yet, every couple weeks there is same infamous question to ask... You use oil recommended by manufacturer, no matter who makes it, filter appropriate for your vehicle , touring type tires for comfort , LRR tires tires for better mpg.

• In one of the two threads, click on the box to the left of "Moderate Images" for each post you wanna move/merge. If you're merging an entire thread with a bunch of posts, click them all.
  • This should bring up a bar at the bottom of your screen with a "Choose action" pick window. One of the options is "Move posts" (NOT "Merge posts"). Pick that, then click the red "GO" button.
  • That will bring up a popup window with two moving choices; New thread, or Existing thread. To merge, pick Existing thread and paste the URL of the destination thread in the window.
  • Click "Move".

141 - 144 of 144 Posts