Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a driver side head.
What are your thoughts on After market heads any good brands? Remanufactured heads? Purchasing OEM? Amazon, Ebay, Autozone, Rockauto? Should I do both heads while I am here? Or just adjust valves on the other side, lap them, or leave it alone (not broke don’t fix)?

Gaskets and head bolts.
Any particular brand stand out among the rest, or that I should stay away from?

Also since the engine is in this state anything I should replace while I am here, Water pump, timing belt, coils, Wires.

Thank you for your input!

Quick background: After oil change and cleaning the airfilter truck would idle rough for about 10 seconds on cold starts and finally gave a P0300 code. I assumed the MAF sensor got gunked up by K&N air filter oil. Took her to the stealership and the reported coolant in the #4 cylinder. Not too happy with the news I performed my own tests.
Did cooling system pressure test with “OTC (7991) Cooling System Pressure Tester” lost pressure slowly. Pulled all spark plugs and with a flashlight was able to investigate each cylinder while rocking the truck. Clear as day coolant was in the #4 Cylinder.
Performed a Compression test after the truck was at running temp. Did not have the throttle open not sure if that voids my results.
Cylinder:
#1 -212.5
#2-200
#3-200
#4-195
#5-210
#6-205
Performed a leak down test as well. “OTC 5609 Cylinder Leakage Tester Kit”
Cylinder:
#1-95% (Nothing)
#2-88% (Air noise from oil fill)
#3-82% (Air escaping exhaust)
#4-77% (Able to see steam/air moving out of radiator cap)
#5-91% (Air escaping exhaust)
#6-84% (Air escaping exhaust)

Have been following along with these youtube videos
These videos help tremendously big thanks to the guy for uploading and sharing his knowledge.
My driver side engine head is now off the block and I believe the head is in fact cracked. So I will need a new head.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts