Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was not easy. I didn't like the idea of cutting so much out, but oh well:D

This looks like an easy fit...

Making the harness:

The finished harness:

Single projector beam output compared to 9006 output:

The bi-xenon high beam output:

This is how I mounted the projector:

This allowed for rotational and side to side adjustment with the right bolt. I added a third bolt (not pictured) through one of the top mounting holes for vertical adjustment (fine vertical adjustment would be done with the stock aiming bolt).

The projector sticks out the back this far:

Projectors mounted to reflector bowls:

Just put the front lens back on for now:

Philips D2S HID bulb vs. Stock 9006:

Single projector output from the driver's seat:

Before (stock lights might be aimed a bit low, but it wasn't intense enough when it was aimed higher):

After:

Correction: philips bulbs - 5000K on left (driver's), 4300K on right (passenger)

Then with the bi-xenon highs:

The 'cutoff' pic (could use some rotational adjustments still...):

I'm still a long way from finishing this :sosad: Still need to put together a nice solution for shrouds and to cover up the solenoid. I just couldn't wait to drive around with these so I slapped them on the car for now. I still have to aim these projectors better. The 'step' of the right beam is on the sidewalk when I drive in the right lane:disappoin I'm having a tough time getting the beams to be parallel too; it's so annoying to go over a dip and see the 'steps' converge and diverge. At least I can take a break for now and enjoy these HIDs:thumbup:

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
That's friggin' sweet. Can you elaborate on what you did for the rotational and side to side adjustment? I'm still not too clear on that.

·
I Want My MPG
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DarkMastyr said:
That's friggin' sweet. Can you elaborate on what you did for the rotational and side to side adjustment? I'm still not too clear on that.

The red arrows show movement of the nuts that can be adjusted to adjust rotation (tilt). The side/side adjustment is done moving the bolt in and out of the plane of the picture; kind of along that yellow arrow. The blue circles show the pivot points. Those were fastened with locking washers and nuts with nylon (to lock) inserts after it was reasonably aimed.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
Noice work!! Lookin' real' good! Thats toight like a toiger!!

If you can fit them, and are willing to spend the money, the e46 bi-xenon shrouds work really well with the Camry headlights.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
NIce job man...so is it done yet? I haven't been able to touch my HID retro in soo long. ANd i actually just got back from Colorado, so now i have time....BUt like mike said...it would look great with the e46 shroud. anything not close to that and i think that your screws and such might be visible. BUt anyways man good job. As far as the aiming goes...both lights are rotated wrong...but i'm sure this was just your test run. It also seems as if the distance between the two steps are pretty far apart. I would maybe bring the two steps in a bit, and rotate each projector counterclockwise.

·
The Naive Voice of Reason
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
Looks good man. I'm sure you will fix all the aiming issues you have based on the great work you've done so far. As mentioned the 3'' (bixenon) e46 shroud would fit perfectly. But if you want to be different, do a little research and find another nice fitting shroud that should look good in our headlight. A custom shroud is still an option but I personally had terrible luck with that and it's harder to make it look OEM.

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
^i know what you mean man....i got different set of shrouds to be different from everyone else with the e46's...i haven't seen too many people use what i'm using...so you guy w'ell have to wait and see....i will have time to work on it today, so pics will be up soon. snicko...good work again, lol.

·
I Want My MPG
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, thanks for the feedback, guys. It sure does look like the steps are too far apart; they were pointing together earlier, so I went extreme and aimed then further apart...now I just need to aim straight. I need to find a nice and level place to aim also, that probably accounts for some funky rotational problems.

As for shrouds, those e46 shrouds are nice, but I don't think they'd fit around the lens without modification. Given how fragile the chrome finish on those things are, I probably don't want to put a dremel to them, heh. I have an alternate plan to go for an oem look, but like Webb26, I guess we'll have to wait and see:D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sorry if this comes across as a silly or stupid question, but why isn't Lexus HID projects used more commonly for Cammry retrofits? Are they harder to get? More expansive? Not close in size?

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
In terms of retroes, whether you have Lexus or any other brand projectors does not make your retro any easier. In fact, if your retro is done right then no one can tell what type of projector you have in there without asking you or guessing by comparing beam shots on a wall. So a projector should be picked based on performance, price, and degree of (retro) difficulty.

I think the main reason why Lexus projectors are overlooked is because well......other units beat them out in some shape or fashion - whether performance, price, or degree of difficulty. Also, you are probably right in guessing that they are harder to get because I don't see a lot of the top Lexus projectors out on the market. I could be wrong about that last statement.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
^What he said.

The only Lexus projector out right now that can actually compete in quality of performance with the best is the RX330 (AFS) and LS430, and each of those is harder to retrofit than a TSX or a TL, and the LS430 is VERY pricey.

That aside, there is no "ACURA" or "A" logo on my TSX projectors... they are made by Stanley, and I don't even think there's a Stanley logo on them. And like thapranksta said, if you do a good job, there's no way in hell to be able to tell what kind of projector it is just by looking at it.

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
^What he said.

The only Lexus projector out right now that can actually compete in quality of performance with the best is the RX330 (AFS) and LS430, and each of those is harder to retrofit than a TSX or a TL, and the LS430 is VERY pricey.

That aside, there is no "ACURA" or "A" logo on my TSX projectors... they are made by Stanley, and I don't even think there's a Stanley logo on them. And like thapranksta said, if you do a good job, there's no way in hell to be able to tell what kind of projector it is just by looking at it.
MIke there is also the sc430 which is basically the same as the s2k AP2

·
Registered
325 Posts
white3ch0c0late said:
^What he said.

you can kinda tell what projector you got when you see cut off pic tho , and especially if you can see high beam pics as well :)
i know we play this game occasionally over at the planet :)

i guess lense swaps kill the idea of looking at them while off and telling by size and lense :)

·
2006 Lexus ES330
2,083 Posts
^Yeah, I said that in my post. :) It is a guessing game without looking at the projector behind the shroud. With single xenons, you only have low beams to compare so it makes it even harder.

Edit: Webb26, I wasn't really aware that the S2K AP2 and SC430 were basically the same.

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
^same manufacturer....the sc projector has the ring around the lens which needs to be dremeled off...they are almost in exact same dimessions as welll. The AP2 are frosted lens...as the same with the sc's. If you have been watchin hidplanet the user lightwerks hasbeen having great succes with the AP2's so, I forgot the users name...but he was selling a sc set with a s2k clear lens...it produced amazing results.

sn1cko: As far as e46...it would work as long as its the bi xenon shroud.

·
I Want My MPG
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Webb26 said:
sn1cko: As far as e46...it would work as long as its the bi xenon shroud.
Cool, I didn't know there was a difference between the single and bixenon shroud, but that's good news. The bad news is I probably won't be able to find them:sosad: but I guess I'll just keep looking.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts