Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So I decided to change my car's tires at Costco tires center. After I got my car back, I noticed that one TMPS is not connecting and dashboard light came on. I went back to Costco after driving more that 25 miles hoping that the TMPs will reset itself. They told me that the battery on one of the TMPS is very low. I said "why would that happen right after the new tire installation?". It is hard to believe that is a coincidence. They claimed that changing the tire will put the TMPS to sleep. If the battery is very low the TMPS won't woke up again. I asked them to give me the old TMPS after the replacement, and it looks like there is no visible damage on it. I am curious to know if there claim is legitimate.

·
6,458 Posts
What year?
Yeah it's pretty normal for a tire change to push one over the edge if it's battery is low.
What actually happens is when the tire pressure is low it starts transmitting WAY more than normal, Trying to get that signal to the ECU to make sure the dash light comes on.. So when they are changing the tires, the sensor is constantly trying to transmit every few seconds. So a weak battery will totally die after that.

Sometimes on my 2010 if I don't get to a low tire fast enough and ignore it for a day or 3, then I sign the sensors death warrant. That literally just happened to me 2 weeks ago.
Light came on for low tire, wife told me, I checked the 4 tires and they were fine so I said ugh the spare needs air but was too lazy that day to drop the spare down to refill it...

Forgot about it for a few days till I drove it, and by then it was flashing (Which means, Error)
Pulled out my TIS Techstream and sure enough No more data readings from the spare sensor. Its battery is toast now and I have to replace it.
So now I have to get a new sensor on Amazon and get the tire place to install it for me.
Then reprogram my vehicle to the new sensor.

·
Registered
2011 Highlander lmtd
134 Posts
It's an idiot light...nothing to stress about. Check your tire pressure religiously and don't worry about it.

And it's helpful to indicate your cars year and model. Also, it's TPMS:)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I do not think Costco was not trying to screw you into buying a new TPMS.

You may need to swap the other old sensors if they die soon.

I bought Denso TPMS on RockAuto and had them replaced and programmed at Costco when I bought new tires this summer. They were the exact same ones that came off the car. I figured 12 years is long enough for TPMS sensors. But then again, I check tire pressures religiously. Your tpms battery life may vary.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
11,222 Posts
I do not think Costco was not trying to screw you into buying a new TPMS.

You may need to swap those out the other old sensors if they die soon.

I bought Denso TPMS on RockAuto and had them replaced and programmed at Costco when I bought new tires this summer. They were the exact same ones that came off the car. I figured 12 years is long enough for TPMS sensors. But then again, I check tire pressures religiously. Your tpms battery life may vary.
Still waiting for mine to die assuming mine came with my 08 Camry from factory 11/2007.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I just put my winter wheels on for this year and there is no TPMS sensors in them. Hence light is on all winter as before. Whatever is going on it still goes back to normal once the summer wheels go back on in the spring. My son's Explorer is the same setup as me without TPMS in one wheel set as he changes wheels.

Tire pressure is off a lot when they come on. As NME7 says. You have to check them manually.

Reactions: chadasa

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year?
Yeah it's pretty normal for a tire change to push one over the edge if it's battery is low.
What actually happens is when the tire pressure is low it starts transmitting WAY more than normal, Trying to get that signal to the ECU to make sure the dash light comes on.. So when they are changing the tires, the sensor is constantly trying to transmit every few seconds. So a weak battery will totally die after that.

Sometimes on my 2010 if I don't get to a low tire fast enough and ignore it for a day or 3, then I sign the sensors death warrant. That literally just happened to me 2 weeks ago.
Light came on for low tire, wife told me, I checked the 4 tires and they were fine so I said ugh the spare needs air but was too lazy that day to drop the spare down to refill it...

Forgot about it for a few days till I drove it, and by then it was flashing (Which means, Error)
Pulled out my TIS Techstream and sure enough No more data readings from the spare sensor. Its battery is toast now and I have to replace it.
So now I have to get a new sensor on Amazon and get the tire place to install it for me.
Then reprogram my vehicle to the new sensor.
Thank you. Mine is 2008 Highlander Hybrid.

·
6,458 Posts
Thank you. Mine is 2008 Highlander Hybrid.
Yep batteries are likely at the end of their life, so low tires and tire changes will likely start pushing them over the edge one by one from here on out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
this is why i got out of working on cars.

"well, you were the last person to work on it, so the issue MUST have been caused by you.."

correlation does not imply causation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts