Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
it was all a dream
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think since we have such a diverse group of individual with varying beliefs, educations, experiences, and cultures, it would be a good idea for the readers among us to share and compile a book list of recommended reading.

This will be an open thread, so if you'd like to contribute, please post in this format:

Title
Author
Short Description (optional but recommended)

Then I will add it to this first post with credit to the person who recommended it...

I guess i'll start off:

Ratko:
Art of War; Sun-Tzu; war strategy book that was written centuries ago, which applies to this day, even in non-combat situations.
The Four Loves; C.S. Lewis; explanation and study of the four types of love: affection, friendship, lust, and selfless love (divine), and their relationship to one another.
Omerta; Mario Puzo; Sicilian word for "code of silence"- mafioso fiction

5sfte:
The Celestine Prophecy, The Tenth Insight, and The Road to Shambala; James Redfield; life view book told through an adventure story (changed my whole outlook on life).

BenG:
Ender's Game; Orson Scott Card; War in the future where kids are trained to fight. Sounds like everyother book about the horrors of war and children, but it's a good read.

Alpha:
The Book of Five Rings; Miyamoto Musashi; A strategy book that can be applied in combat or every day situations.

EKam:
Rivethead; Ben Hamper; Strange stories straight from the GM assembly plant in Flint, Michigan.
Choke; Chuck Palahniuk
Survivor; Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club; Chuck Palahniuk
Diary; Chuck Palahniuk
Stranger Than Fiction; Chuck Palahniuk; Contain Essays about people and everyday life.

grapefury:
The Da Vinci Code; Dan Brown; History and Religion will never be the same to you again

powderblue91:
Battle Royale; Koushun Takami
The Godfather; Mario Puzo; Mafioso.

Structureboy:
The Ends of the Earth; Robert D. Kaplan; Kaplan describes his observations on his journey and his thoughts on social and governmental chaos in developing countries on the African and Asian continents. He has a very good grasp in the regions' cultures, religion, and history, which he uses to forecast their future prospects.
The World According to Garp; John Irving; Irving writes in a manner very similiar to Charles Dickens. Story is about T.S. Garp, the bastard son of Jenny Fields, a feminist and their encounters with a unique variety of people: a transsexual football player, feminist groups, Austrian prostitutes, Ellen James, a bear on a unicycle... "in the world according to garp, we are all terminal cases." Just a great novel that's hard to put down. Probably my all-time favourite novel.

Siver_cartel:
The Last Open Road; BS Levy
Montezuma's Ferrari; BS Levy
The Fabulous Trashwagon; BS Levy;
Set in the 1950's, a young mechanic in New Jersey becomes immersed in the world of sports car racing when one of his customers purchases a new Jaguar. The three are a series in that order and are, simply stated, great. Everyone who reads these books loves them, especially if they're interested in cars like all of us are.

Rapeacivic:
1984; George Orwell; Basically a book about"Big Brother's Watching You". It's about a government that tries to control everything people do and say and tries to make people thoughtless.

SmokingTiresV6:
God's Debris; Scott Adams; A different and very logic exploration of the creation of mankind. An indepth description of the way things are the way they are.
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them; Al Franken; A book of exploration into the US government and Politics. All of which was researched by a team of Harvard students.
Stock Car Driving Techniques; Don Alexander; A book that describes in detail how to push the boundries of cornering, acceleration, and braking in order to get the best times.

Stevethecleric:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; Douglas Adams; guy is picked up from earth moments before its destruction, he travels through the galaxy writing an unconventional guide to life, the universe, and everything

Marvelicious:
The Hobbit; J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings; J.R.R. Tolkien
Wheel of Time [series]; Robert Jordan; Very politically in depth for fantasy.
The Monkey Wrench Gang; Edward Abbey; The birth of eco-terrorism, and really entertaining.
How to Keep Your VW Alive; John Muir; Worth the read even if you never plan on owning one of these glorified German golf-carts. Good fundamental engine knowledge.
Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Managment; Charles Probst; Very useful for understanding injection fundamentals, and since most injection systems are based on Bosch designs.

89TweenKam:
The Dark Tower Series; Stephen King; 3 books total "The Gunslinger", "The Drawing of the Three" and "The Dark Tower". There are others now in this series but these are the only ones really worth reading. Fantasy kind of story following a law-man on his exploits chasing the mysterious "man in black". Just remember if you read em that they were written by Stephen King so they may get a little weird from time to time.

movingviolation:
Neuromancer; William Gibson; If you like science fiction, check it out because it's pretty good.
The Art of Deception; Kevin Mitnick; Kevin Mitnick writes about social engineering & the human aspect of computer security.

Lauren:
The Five People You Meet in Heaven; Mitch Albom

WortownSolara:
Andromeda Strain; Micheal Crichton

kenratboy:
How to Win Friends and Influence People; Dale Carnegie

Ukrainian102:
Breakfast of Champions; Kurt Vonnegut

Warped:
Angels and Demons; Dan Brown; Makes you wish morality and science were more related than they are.

Beez97Cam:
Big Lies; Joe Conason; a book about the myth of Left-Wing domination of mass media.
Sleeping With The Devil; Robert Baer; a book about how the USA has prostituted itself in pursuit of Saudi Arabian oil.
Hoop Dreams; Phil Jackson; A book about basketball, philosophy, teamwork and life written by one of the best NBA coaches, a man who led the run of one of the best NBA teams (the Jordan - Pippen era Chicago Bulls) in history.

Gridlyne:
Blade Of the Immortal; Hiroaki Samura; An immortal Ronin is on a quest to seek revenge for his female companion whos parents were ruthlessly murdered in front of her. He cant die until he slays a thousand evil men. Until then he is haunted by the curse of immortality. Its truly an awesome book. Its a manga but still worth buying or reading online. The artwork is extraordinary and has won an exhubarant amount of awards all over the world.

denizen:
All Quiet on the Western Front; Erich Maria Remarque; World War I novel.
The Ultimate Guide to the Galaxy; Douglas Adams; Fictional/Sci Fi kinda book.

roc:
The Tao of Pooh; ???; It is about the ways of Taoism, described by way of Winnie the Pooh.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas; Hunter S. Thompson; About a trip to Las Vegas which involes copius amounts of every drug that you could think of.
Heart of Darkness; ???; same story as the movie 'Apocolypse Now'.
Animal Farm[/b]; Geroge Orwell
A Brave New World; Alidous Huxley

Uf0z:
The Oddysey; Homer
The Iliad; Homer
The Partner; John Grisham
The Brethren; John Grisham

Phi:
The Next Great Bubble Boom: How to profit from the greatest boom in history; Harry S. Dent; It argues that the economy is driven by demographics and can be reasonably predictable using Baby Boomers and their spending habits to illustrate.

brazilgoal:
The Purpose Driven Life; Rick Warren; best book about life.
Intended for Pleasure; Ed Wheat; Pure sex.
The One Minute Manager; ???; Management and leadership.

AE86_LEVIN:
Les Miserables; ???; Jean Valjean is a ex-con that tries to live life under a different name and being pursued by government officials.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Three book series:
The Celestine Prophecy, The Tenth Insight, and The Road to Shambala; James Redfield; life view books told through an adventure story (changed my whole outlook on life).

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
Title: Ender's Game
Author: Orson Scott Card
Short Description: War in the future where kids are trained to fight. Sounds like everyother book about the horrors of war and children, but it's a good read.

·
Urban Nomad
626 Posts
Title: The Book of Five Rings
Author: Miyamoto Musashi
Description: A strategy book that can be applied in combat or every day situations.

·
There is no substitute.
7,211 Posts
Rivethead; Ben Hamper ; Strange stories straight from the GM assembly plant in Flint, Michigan.

Choke ; Chuck Palahniuk
Survivor ; Chuck Palahniuk
Fight Club ; Chuck Palahniuk
Diary ; Chuck Palahniuk
Stranger Than Fiction ; Chuck Palahniuk ; Contain Essays about people and everyday life.

·
Rotor > Piston
411 Posts
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

"Battle Royale, a high-octane thriller about senseless youth violence, is one of Japan's best-selling - and most controversial - novels. As part of a ruthless program by the totalitarian government, ninth-grade students are taken to a small isolated island with a map, food, and various weapons. Forced to wear special collars that explode when they break a rule, they must fight each other for three days until only one "winner" remains. The elimination contest becomes the ultimate in must-see reality television. A Japanese pulp classic available in English for the first time, Battle Royale is a potent allegory of what it means to be young and survive in today's dog-eat-dog world. The first novel by small-town journalist Koushun Takami, it went on to become an even more notorious film by 70-year-old gangster director Kinji Fukusaku. " From Amazon.com

The Godfather by Mario Puzo - Mafioso

·
confrontations of image
192 Posts
The Ends of the Earth
by Robert D. Kaplan
Kaplan describes his observations on his journey and his thoughts on social and governmental chaos in developing countries on the African and Asian continents. He has a very good grasp in the regions' cultures, religion, and history, which he uses to forecast their future prospects.

The World According to Garp
by John Irving
Irving writes in a manner very similiar to Charles Dickens. Story is about T.S. Garp, the bastard son of Jenny Fields, a feminist and their encounters with a unique variety of people: a transsexual football player, feminist groups, Austrian prostitutes, Ellen James, a bear on a unicycle... "in the world according to garp, we are all terminal cases." Just a great novel that's hard to put down. Probably my all-time favourite novel.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
powderblue91 said:
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami

"Battle Royale, a high-octane thriller about senseless youth violence, is one of Japan's best-selling - and most controversial - novels. As part of a ruthless program by the totalitarian government, ninth-grade students are taken to a small isolated island with a map, food, and various weapons. Forced to wear special collars that explode when they break a rule, they must fight each other for three days until only one "winner" remains. The elimination contest becomes the ultimate in must-see reality television. A Japanese pulp classic available in English for the first time, Battle Royale is a potent allegory of what it means to be young and survive in today's dog-eat-dog world. The first novel by small-town journalist Koushun Takami, it went on to become an even more notorious film by 70-year-old gangster director Kinji Fukusaku. " From Amazon.com

The Godfather by Mario Puzo - Mafioso
I saw the live action film the first time here in Iraq. Crazy movie man, but I liked it. There is also a part 2.

·
Lives For The Curves
1,546 Posts
The Last Open Road - BS Levy
Montezuma's Ferrari - BS Levy
The Fabulous Trashwagon - BS Levy (Haven't actually read this one yet, it's sitting by my bedside, but after reading the first two it's sure to be awesome)

Description:
Set in the 1950's, a young mechanic in New Jersey becomes immersed in the world of sports car racing when one of his customers purchases a new Jaguar. The three are a series in that order and are, simply stated, great. Everyone who reads these books loves them, especially if they're interested in cars like all of us are. :thumbup:

·
S14 Fever :D
2,456 Posts
I'm not much of a Reader but this I loved this Book:

Title: 1984
Author: I forgot:lol:
Summary: Basically a book about"Big Brother's Watching You". It's about a government that tries to control everything people do and say and tries to make people thoughtless.

This book consumed me for 3 days. It really made me think and I think it's one of the best books I have ever read in my life:thumbup:

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
God's Debris
By Scott Adams
A different and very logic exploration of the creation of mankind.
An indepth description of the way things are the way they are...

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
Al Franken
A book of exploration into the US government and Politics. All of which was researched by a team of Harvard students.

Those two books have forever changed my life and my beliefs :)

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Douglas Adams
guy is picked up from earth moments before its destruction,
he travels through the galaxy writing an unconventional guide to life, the universe, and everything

its a scifi comedy, very funny and there are 5 books in the series, which is called the hitchhikers trilogy

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
70 Participants
SFCamry
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing