Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
:lol: You arent the first person to tell me that. I'll admit, even I dont fully understand all of Musashi's teachings but that which I do understand makes sense and have greatly changed my perspective.
I especially like the one about how you should just to react to thing as they happen, instead of anticipating your opponent's moves.
Cap'n

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
iam reading "secret weapons of world war II" but William b breuer..

not really a plot type of book, but great facts about wwII weapons that we didnt hear about alot...a must read for wwII fanatics

·
Sebastian Loebs evil twin
168 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
for me personally...anything Stephen King...especially the Dark Tower series...just finally finished all of them...8 in total....i would also recommend Angels and Demons and The Devinci Code by Dan Brown....very interesting take on history..but i'm sure a few ppls have prolly recommended these two by now.....

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
6,090 Posts
Oprah's Book Club just announced the new book,
"Night" by Elie Weisel
I read it a few years back for an English class. It's a short book, 144 pages. This past weekend I re-read it. It's a truly amazing, eye-opening book. I HIGHLY suggest you read it. I left some info about it below.

ABOUT THE BOOK

Night

ANNOTATION
An autobiographical narrative in which the author describes his experiences in Nazi concentration camps, watching family and friends die, and how they led him to believe that God is dead.
FROM THE PUBLISHER
A New Translation From The French By Marion Wiesel
Night is Elie Wiesel’s masterpiece, a candid, horrific, and deeply poignant autobiographical account of his survival as a teenager in the Nazi death camps. This new translation by Marion Wiesel, Elie’s wife and frequent translator, presents this seminal memoir in the language and spirit truest to the author’s original intent. And in a substantive new preface, Elie reflects on the enduring importance of Night and his lifelong, passionate dedication to ensuring that the world never forgets man’s capacity for inhumanity to man.

Night offers much more than a litany of the daily terrors, everyday perversions, and rampant sadism at Auschwitz and Buchenwald; it also eloquently addresses many of the philosophical as well as personal questions implicit in any serious consideration of what the Holocaust was, what it meant, and what its legacy is and will be.

Author Bio: Elie Wiesel is the internationally celebrated author, Nobel laureate, and spokesperson for humanity whose decision to dedicate his life to bearing witness for the Holocaust's martyrs and survivors found its earliest and most enduring voice in Night, his penetrating and profound account of the Nazi death camps. Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, he was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. Night is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.

Elie Wiesel is the author of more than forty internationally acclaimed works of fiction and nonfiction. He has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the United States of America Congressional Gold Medal, the French Legion of Honor, and, in 1986, the Nobel Peace Prize. He is the Andrew W. Mellon Professor in the Humanities and University Professor at Boston University.

FROM THE CRITICS
Curt Leviant
"Wiesel has taken his own anguish and imaginatively metamorphosed it into art." -- Saturday Review
The New York Times
"A slim volume of terrifying power."
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"Weisel's books ... have marked him as the messenger of the Jewish dead to the living." -- Mirrors of the Jewish Mind
"To the best of my knowledge no one has left behind him so moving a record."
— Alfred Kazin
CUSTOMER REVIEWS
Number of Reviews: 360 Average Rating: 5 Stars

·
as clever is
144 Posts
Tucker Max - " I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell"

Highly recommended, unless you are a douche bag.

Some pretty intense list we've got going here, mine is more for a "light reading"

·
Official TN member
98 Posts
PLEASE READ

Any of Lee Stroebel's books.

I have read "The Case for Christ," "The Case for Faith," and "The Case for a Creator." Please, before you read past this and think that it is just the mindless babble of someone not able to think for themselves (as some people view faith), realize this. The author of these books initially set out to disprove Christianity and was a staunch athiest. But through his search he was only drawn more and more to the truth that is only found in Christ. Read "The Case for Christ" and make your decision from it as to whether or not to read the others or not.

If you have read this far, then may I also suggest reading the Holy Bible (NIV or another similar easy-to-read translation especially if you are new to the Bible). "The Case for Christ" (or maybe it was one of the others I have read) makes a very strong argument for the authenticity of the Bible. No other book of this age has been found to be as historically and archaelogically accurate, supported by as many other sources, or written by dozens of different authors over thousands of years with the same common message throughout it. The Bible is the story of God's pursuit of mankind, his love for mankind, and an instruction manual for every facet of your life and relationships.

Again, please do not write this off as something "out there" or "religious" (I know people who are "religious" about brushing their teeth). You (we all) were created with an empty space that God reserves for himself - and that only he can fill. But he respects us and our free will too much to "make us" choose him. Please listen to him.

Since I am probably already well into what many would say is preaching at this point in my post, let me quote some verses from the Bible that everyone should see. Please look past anything to do with me or my inability to say the right thing here. I do not want you to see or dwell on me, but see Jesus and dwell on him. All of the "teachings" that are out there that seem to help anyone at all were all based upon Biblical principles and teachings.

Romans 3:10 - "As it is written, there is no one righteous, not even one." (None of us are perfect in and of ourselves)

Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Romans 5:12 - "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men because all sinned."

Romans 5:8 - "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this. While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our LORD."

Romans 10:13 - "For everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."

Romans 10:9 - "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is LORD,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Romans 10:10 - "For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."

May God richly bless you, and draw you closer to him, the only place true and lasting happiness can be found.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you Like Enders Game, read Speaker of the Dead. Orson Scott Card has some good books outside of the Ender series.

And the Alchemist by Paulo Cohello is a good read. I want to read it in Spanish but i have to learn the language first...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress" is pretty neat. :)
Something out of left field is "The Art of Survival" by Cord Christian Troebst. Really fascinating stuff about disasters, survival, etc. Very Plus the writing style is, at least in my mind, very pleasant to read.
Robert A. Heinlein is a favorite of mine and I can recommend most of his stuff, specifically "To Sail Beyond The Sunset", "Time Enough For Love", "Friday", "The Number of the Beast", "The Door into Summer", and "The Puppet Masters", which beats the movie hands down in spite of Donald Sutherland as The Old Man.

·
Pissed
665 Posts
Got an awesome book if you live in florida.

Title : A land remembered
Author : Patrick D. Smith
Description : The book is a story about a Man and a Woman who first move to florida before florida is all developed they have a kid and start a family and pretty much start florida. It talks about getting food, indians, buying supplies all kinds of stuff. THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ! And I will leave it at that. No slavery either, but there is some language that may be offensive. We read it in school, and it caused some pretty big problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most of the James Patterson books are good - they're short chaptered so they can be read quickly, and you can get away with reading them more than once...:eek:hyeah:

...can anyone tell me what in the hell this white bouncy thing is? i've been staring at it for a while and unfortunatly it has captured my attention. ::ugh:::fruit:

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
discovered a new author....Steve Berry...da vinci code type thrillers...so far read all his books...The Templar Legacy, The Alexandria Link, The Amber Room, The Romanov Prophecy..and just started The Third Room..

61 - 80 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
70 Participants
SFCamry
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing