Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Art of War - translation by J.H. Huang. Newer nuances from older manuscripts found in a dig in China in 1972. Many of the "quotes" are directly transliterated from ancient Chinese so that you can observe the word order and context of quotes.

Rickover Effect - Theodore Rockwell. Some of it can be found on Google Books. Insider history of the nuclear sub reactor program under Admiral Rickhover's direction.

Black Sun - Richard Rhodes. A history of the US and Soviet thermonuclear programs.

Certain to Win - Chet Richards A study of John Boyd's OODA loop and its application to business.

Maneuver Warfare Handbook - William S. Lind Study on maneuver warfare by one of the original thinkers on "4th generation war". Very highly recommended on Amazon.

Phantom Soldier - the enemy's answer to US firepower - Frances Poole, William S. Lind, and Mike Leahy. Amazing history of the use of manuever and deception by some very competent analysts.

On the pile to read....

Science, strategy and war the strategic theory of John Boyd - Frans Osinga. Masters thesis turned into a book. An in depth study of John Boyd's theories of warfare. Used to cost a fortune but the paperback version is available from Amazon for just over thirty bucks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Samurai's Garden" by Gail Tsukiyama

Takes place before WW2 where a chinese student with TB goes to Japan to get treatment. During his stay in Japan, he experience the Japanese culture as well as family history.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hyperion Cantos (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion) by Dan Simmons

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Hyperion_%28Simmons_novel%29

and

His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

Not to be mixed in with the Disney crap movie. If you have an open mind, its a tale of coming of age, loss of innocence, and doesn't sugar coat that its a foil to C.S. Lewis' Narnia. In other words, its very aethistic vs religious.

·
Registered
303 Posts
IQ84 - Haruki Murakami

Good mystery, sci-fi, fiction. Draws you in like no other book I've read in a long time. My first real book I got into since college sucked my life away.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
rainbow six
Clear And Present danger
Oh, there is one where a soldier who dressed as bum, wino, (John Clark, from rainbow six) killing drug dealers.

by tom Clancy
That would be Without Remorse. One of my favorite Clancy books (One of two Clancy books I still own). A lot different than his other ones just as an FYI.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The Road by Cormac McCarthy- Set in Post Apocalyptic future America and is about a father and his son trying to cope and survive after society is crumbled and pretty much everything is dead. Sad book and ponders the question of if it is worth it to live after there is nothing left.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood- About a man who may be the last human on earth that was given the task to take care of an engineered species called the Children of Crake. Dabbles in the ideas of genetic engineering and what happens if we toil too much with ourselves and earth.

·
Registered
453 Posts
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis- In essence a satire of the superficial life of yuppies during the late 1980s, the narrator is Patrick Bateman who is a wealthy Manhattan buisnessman but also is a psychotic serial killer as well. Its a very intense book that goes from describing his normal life to going on to various murders and he continues to become more insane as the book progresses. If you have not seen the movie I suggest watching it before reading because imo Christian Bale makes the movie and plays the perfect Patrick Bateman, which makes reading the book even better afterwards.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just finished reading the book American Gun- The history of the U.S. in Ten Firearms by Chris Kyle. It is very interesting reading how guns shaped the history of this country and which ones were pivotal in making the U.S. what it is today.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Five best books I ever read, so I recommend them here:

1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
2. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
3. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
4. Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana
5. Moby Dick by Herman Melville

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
About this Discussion
100 Replies
70 Participants
SFCamry
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing