Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or was that only me who had no access? This also seems to happen on a regular basis, maybe once a month or once every two months or so ...

EDIT: I edited the title, it was actually almost 12 hours, not 10.

·
Heart Art
1,355 Posts
not just you...

a lot of times i get partially loaded pages. just the top banner loads and nothing else...very annoying

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Oh good... It wasn't just me then. :rolleyes:

Get an email this morning about a new post and hours later the damn page finally loads so I can see what the hell was posted.

And yeah, I've noticed this happening at LEAST once a month. Maybe not this long, but usually at least an hour each time. No "under construction" or "down for updates" just a blank page like the whole damn server is down. WTF is up with that?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought it was my computer.

i was about to throw it across the room.
Hey, good you waited a little with that .... :lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
It wasn't that the page wasn't loading correctly.... the entire site has been down all day today! Hmph....

the slow loading page only happens when the website is actually working.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
It almost seems like it's routine maintenance it happens so often... I guess that's why it irritates me when there's no "down for maintenance" or similar message and the page just never loads. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Happens monthly. Its just maintenance. I asked about it on TTORA once and that is what I was told.
Yeah, the server goes down for a while for regular maintenance. It's kind of annoying isn't it?

Beat me to it! :lol:

Guess the owners of TN have never heard of clustered servers or load balanced web servers... :rofl2: :rolleyes: :disappoin

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Tacoma World doesn't ever seem to go down.
lol I spent the morning over there too. :D Unfortunately, I didn't have much to post as I crammed in my latest mods and pics last night. :rolleyes: Should have saved them for this morning so I'd have something to do. :lol:

·
I'm No Expert! (TM)
2007 Tacoma
34 Posts
It's always easy to be an armchair quarterback.

It's not always easy to provide a community portal of this sort of magnitude, and it certainly isn't cheap.

If you donate (do they take donations here?) then I guess you might have cause for concern, because you may perceive that your donation is not being used as effectively as you may like. If you don't donate, just shoot the admins an email telling them you want a refund on your free service... I'm sure they'll oblige! :)

Clusters and load balancers cost $$$... especially when you consider your typical clustered system requires an external and potentially costly storage subsystem on top of the additional server cost and/or load balancers.

It sucks to lose access to something you appreciate... maybe you guys could send a little cash to the admins instead of complain about the free service you receive. :clap:

As a forum admin myself, and having run dozens of forums and BBS' over the years, I know how annoying it can be to give up your free time to help "feed" the community, only to have your "loving" users lambaste you for downtime. :hammer:

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Costly clusters and load balancing are why you have a third party host the site. Trust me, I had to admin one for a client. The 3rd party hosted the client's Exchange sever and numerous business-critical websites. But the client wasn't the only one paying them. So take the data center setup for such redundancy, have 100's or even 1,000's of clients use it and virtual servers, and the price drops dramatically.

If you personally host your own website and don't have redundancy, then that's just stupid and poor business practice. This site has paid banners, sponsors, vendors, etc. Imagine if all the data related to that disappeared because the one server they had everything on crashed.

·
Don't mess with the Blue
'06 DC Sport TRD
1,809 Posts
I like the old TN better. Almost every time I come on TN, it takes a good 20 or 30 seconds for the pages to load. This is the only site that does this with my cable/high speed internet.

I don't spend as much time on here as I used to because of this. Hope I'm not the only one. Something needs to be fixed. It's been doing this ever since TN changed last year. ??????????

·
Registered
2006 Silver Dbl Cab
647 Posts
I like the old TN better. Almost every time I come on TN, it takes a good 20 or 30 seconds for the pages to load. This is the only site that does this with my cable/high speed internet.

I don't spend as much time on here as I used to because of this. Hope I'm not the only one. Something needs to be fixed. It's been doing this ever since TN changed last year. ??????????
You are not alone. There are several of us that have this problem and then there are the several that don't. I agree with you though, I don't spend 1/3 of the time on here that I used to because the slow load just annoys the heck out of me.

·
Registered
o
174 Posts
I'm not sure I like the way tn is changing. Slow load times, pages not loading up, stupid pop ups for fords and hondas, a whole slew of new members, and now the 05+ for sale thread moved to a common toyota truck thread.
I'm not bashing new members, hell I was one and I asked some stupid questions, and I know it cost money to host the site. I know we can "help" by becoming tn supreme members and I've thought about it, although I haven't quite figured out how a lifetime membership can only last 29 years. (Maybe nostradamus was right, and tn knows it.)
Being on tn is starting to feel like when you're walking near the US Capitol and the police are all over, making sure you go this way or that way, don't walk on that patch of grass, and don't touch the fence, or no pictures, etc.
I've noticed alot of former familar members not on as much or not on at all. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way either.

Red
Sie kann nicht kochen ein gebrochenes Ei

1 - 20 of 24 Posts