Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the inspection back from the mechanic just now on the '99 Solara with 178k. It is in good overall condition, except the following:

- serpentine belts need replacing
- the inner left tie rod has slight play
- Needs brakes and rotors apparently, although they felt fine to me!
- slight valve cover leak in the rear, apparently common?
- power steering pump & shaft leak
- Possibly needs a clutch although the test drive was fine
- My bf thought the tranny shifted a little harder, like the tranny wasn't fully engaging right away. I didn't notice anything and I thought the rough feel was that I was shifting too low. The mechanic couldn't reduplicate that issue and said the tranny seemed just fine. He said otherwise it may be bearing play in the tranny, which could be costly.

The dealer is asking $3875 but with this list plus the need for new tires, radio, vanity mirror cover and passenger seatbelt cover...!! The mechanic said to proceed with caution if I buy this vehicle and keep in mind the repairs it needs, and may need over time.

Since you guys actually own these cars, and of various mileage, does this car sound like a good buy for the right price (>$3000), or should I run far, far away? Are some of these problems normal? I appreciate a little feedback as I really mull this decision over. Its a gorgeous car with an amazing interior!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i have a 99 solara v6 SE, diamond white pearl, so far around 165k miles, not many problem, just normal wear and tear that i have to replace, such as tires, struts, brake pads, and engine oil.

in order to make a wise decision,
you have to look at problem that need to fix asap in order to keep the car on the road, and problem that can be delay and how long of a delay, or problems don't have to fix at all, and problem that is not really a problem, and you just want to replace it with the one you like.

my valve cover lip is also wet, but has been wet for a few years now since i switch to Mobile 1 Full synthetic, and i don't see the wet area is speading beyound rubber gasket, so i just leave it until the whole engine is wet.

when you buying an used car without warranty, i assume you've set aside some cash for repair, i highly recommend changing timing belt, ps belt, AC belt, and engine seals if the maintainance history is unknown.

good luck

I got the inspection back from the mechanic just now on the '99 Solara with 178k. It is in good overall condition, except the following:

- serpentine belts need replacing
- the inner left tie rod has slight play
- Needs brakes and rotors apparently, although they felt fine to me!
- slight valve cover leak in the rear, apparently common?
- power steering pump & shaft leak
- Possibly needs a clutch although the test drive was fine
- My bf thought the tranny shifted a little harder, like the tranny wasn't fully engaging right away. I didn't notice anything and I thought the rough feel was that I was shifting too low. The mechanic couldn't reduplicate that issue and said the tranny seemed just fine. He said otherwise it may be bearing play in the tranny, which could be costly.

The dealer is asking $3875 but with this list plus the need for new tires, radio, vanity mirror cover and passenger seatbelt cover...!! The mechanic said to proceed with caution if I buy this vehicle and keep in mind the repairs it needs, and may need over time.

Since you guys actually own these cars, and of various mileage, does this car sound like a good buy for the right price (>$3000), or should I run far, far away? Are some of these problems normal? I appreciate a little feedback as I really mull this decision over. Its a gorgeous car with an amazing interior!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided that it would be wiser to explore other options. The car needs a bit of work to get it drivable (tires, brakes) and then depending how things progressed, power steering, valve cover and tie rod work. I feel the price they're asking is too much, and when I offered lower to reflect the immediate work, the salesman said my mechanic is full of crap and that the car could just sit out on the lot and some sucker will buy it. I don't like that attitude, and I'm really tired of used car dealers! I really liked that red metallic color though!

Instead, I found a private party one, a gold 2000 with 103k. Its a manual tranny with leather. I'm assuming the seats will be just as nice as the '99?! He already replaced the tires and clutch, two less things for me to worry about. The only bad was it was in an accident, but he said it was actually minor; a motorcycle ended up hitting the car in traffic when he was stopped. The radiator got replaced from that and he's had absolutely no issues ever since. I will be meeting him tonight, but I like the fact I'm going to know the exact history and how the car was taken care of. Its in the same price range as the 178k too, and besides the fact lower miles and a year newer.

Although, did the car change much from '99 to '00, and were there more problems with '99s than with '00s?

Let's hope this works out, and that someone will buy my car at the same time! :cool:

·
Registered
'00 Solara x2
30 Posts
Hello again Teblhasa

Looks like your having a real time finding the right Solara. All I can say is your doing it right by taking your time :thumbsup: So did you end up buying the 2000? Since we last talked we had sold our 2006 Corolla as it is too small for the highway and just found/bought a pearl white 2000 Solara :clap:with 69000km's ( about 45000 miles) This car is extremely mint and was owned by a doctor who traded it in on a Subaru. It is loaded with cloth tan interior, V6 standard...never thought we'd buy a V6 but after looking at many many worn out Camrys we ended up coming back to this car which we pick up tomorrow...YAY!
So let me know the latest in your search. Talk soon, Tim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow old thread... forgot about this one.

She actually did get one a while ago, she got a gen 1 sle v6. Its not too bad at all, a little dirty at first but she took care of that.

as a side note,
I Have a v6 and its actually not that bad gas wise if thats why you didn't want a v6. The 4cyl versions of these cars are underpowered anyway.

·
Registered
'00 Solara x2
30 Posts
Hey! glad to hear you found a car, congrats :thumbsup: I was a bit concerned about the gas mileage and the fact that these v6 engines suffered from sludge buildup. I purchased the car anyway as it has very low miles and from what I've read keeping up regular oil changes should keep sludge from building. Besides that I just LOVE this car :heart: and the price was so good that if I end up replacing the engine I will still come out on top. Thanks for the response and and enjoy your ride. Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts