Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Camry le with 98k miles the car is barely about to reach 100k.I got the car from and elderly woman with 93k miles and original every thing even the owners manual and 3 sets of keys.The car is upper clean besides a hit and run that happened to me a couple of months ago (that’s a whole other story) but that cause my fender to form a bit of rust along with key marks on the trunk that I believe a angry neighbor caused but the car had zero rust before that.

The car has everything original but everything that old and untouched cause problems thus bring problems to me.Over the couple of months I have replaced water pump/timing belt along with a new rack that was leaking and valve cover gaskets.The total repairs rounded to be about $1500 labor and parts.

the rack was the most recent repair I did about 3 weeks ago but after taking the car for an alignment afterwards,The alignment tech had told me to replace the front struts along with lower control arm like I needed something else to be fix.

fast forward to today 11/17/19 I took the car for a general inspection at the shop that replaced my rack and they came up with a few other problems besides suspension components.They performed a power brake test to diagnose my motor mounts and they found a couple of problems.

The car now needs
1.New struts in front
2.New lower control arms
3.New engine mounts
4.Alignment
The car is very reliable and I already invested a couple of dollars into it and I don’t know if I should proceed too.Ive been looking into other cars lately and I honestly think I might go through selling the car but I don’t know if I should just stick with the car and fix a couple parts month by month or let it go before it makes me go broke.What do you guys/girls think?

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2008 Camry LE
3,135 Posts
I have a 96 Camry le with 98k miles the car is barely about to reach 100k.I got the car from and elderly woman with 93k miles and original every thing even the owners manual and 3 sets of keys.The car is upper clean besides a hit and run that happened to me a couple of months ago (that’s a whole other story) but that cause my fender to form a bit of rust along with key marks on the trunk that I believe a angry neighbor caused but the car had zero rust before that.

The car has everything original but everything that old and untouched cause problems thus bring problems to me.Over the couple of months I have replaced water pump/timing belt along with a new rack that was leaking and valve cover gaskets.The total repairs rounded to be about $1500 labor and parts.

the rack was the most recent repair I did about 3 weeks ago but after taking the car for an alignment afterwards,The alignment tech had told me to replace the front struts along with lower control arm like I needed something else to be fix.

fast forward to today 11/17/19 I took the car for a general inspection at the shop that replaced my rack and they came up with a few other problems besides suspension components.They performed a power brake test to diagnose my motor mounts and they found a couple of problems.

The car now needs
1.New struts in front
2.New lower control arms
3.New engine mounts
4.Alignment
The car is very reliable and I already invested a couple of dollars into it and I don’t know if I should proceed too.Ive been looking into other cars lately and I honestly think I might go through selling the car but I don’t know if I should just stick with the car and fix a couple parts month by month or let it go before it makes me go broke.What do you guys/girls think? View attachment 286681
You could get all those parts relatively cheap on rock auto, personally I’d probably keep it, even if you do put some money in it, it’s cheaper than a car payment. Where are you located? If you do decide to sell I’m always looking to buy a Camry for the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could get all those parts relatively cheap on rock auto, personally I’d probably keep it, even if you do put some money in it, it’s cheaper than a car payment. Where are you located? If you do decide to sell I’m always looking to buy a Camry for the right price.

I was already considering keeping it when I was told it was only suspension parts as that’s not a big deal but once I was told about the mounts I cringed.I am not mechanical savvy so I assume a rear and lower motor mount replacement is expensive? I am located in Illinois and you are right about the car payment totally but I wasn’t planning to get anything over 10k.The money that I’m spending on repairs I could easily use that money for a already fixed car from a dealership.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2008 Camry LE
3,135 Posts
I was already considering keeping it when I was told it was only suspension parts as that’s not a big deal but once I was told about the mounts I cringed.I am not mechanical savvy so I assume a rear and lower motor mount replacement is expensive? I am located in Illinois and you are right about the car payment totally but I wasn’t planning to get anything over 10k.The money that I’m spending on repairs I could easily use that money for a already fixed car from a dealership.
You can get both motor mounts for under $100. Replacement isn’t too hard either. Do one at a time and support the engine with a jack under the oil pan while you do them.

·
イリジウム
11,856 Posts
Could it be the strut tower in the chassis got dislocated?

Show some pics under the hood. Otherwise get complete assemblies while Monroe QuickStruts.

The paint is even shiny!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Show some pics under the hood. Otherwise get complete assemblies while Monroe QuickStruts.

The paint is even shiny!

The paint is even shiny!
I was told by the mechanic that the strut could have been bent from the hit and run and yea it was wh

The paint is even shiny!
The paint was perfect before the hit and run 😒 and yeah I was told the strut could have been impacted during the hit and run

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can get both motor mounts for under $100. Replacement isn’t too hard either. Do one at a time and support the engine with a jack under the oil pan while you do them.

I saw on this forum that aftermarket mounts don’t do too good and to use oem mounts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would personally sell it. Its easy to succumb to the sunk cost fallacy, especially with cars. Its got low mileage, true, but thats only half the equation. Time ruins a lot of expensive parts over time too (ask me how i know), especially since the accident that might or might not have fucked it further. Of course, you could invest in fixing all of those problems and consider that the "new" car investment, but again, its only a matter of time for a car that old, even a toyota.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,800 Posts
If you have to let shops fixing the car, just sell it. It is more expensive than new cars at this point. These old cars are supposed to be owned by handy guys with space and equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it was me, I would fix it then sell it. I can do all the work needed. For someone slightly mechanically challenged, dump it.

·
イリジウム
11,856 Posts
Just from the pictures the damage look superficial. Maybe other experts can chime in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts