Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Lexus ES 250
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lowered my ES250 and there's a noticeable amount of rake to the car. I've got a pic but nowhere to host it. I used Intrax springs which are 4 cyl. springs on my V6

specs: my front end is 300 lbs heavier than a 4 cyl
the rear is 150 lbs heavier

the front lowered 1.75" and the rear went down well close

the rear has about 8 or 9 coils so cutting one out wouldn't be too bad but anyone got experience on how stiff the coils get cutting one out?

·
Registered
Lexus ES 250
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i know that cutting coils isn't ideal, but I don't have any other options. I know that it will make the ride a little stiffer.

I read on this board somewhere of someone who had the same problem and they cut out a coil. I guess my question is how much stiffer will it make the ride? if you have 9 coils, the ride would get...er an eighth stiffer??

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Dont cut coils. Springs were not made to be cut especially when you spent all that money on Intrax and you mess around with them.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,502 Posts
The ride won't significanly change if you cut a coil off the bottom. The coils at the bottom on the Intrax springs are 'dead' and are fully compressed most of the time.

On my current Camry, the rears are cut 1 coil (I believe... I'm the 2nd owner of the springs) and it still doesn't look level, the fender gap is close to even but the car has a natural rake to it.

Or you can do what I did on my last Camry - put 100lbs of subwoofer and amps in the trunk. :)

Please tell me you upgraded your struts too....

-Charlie

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I had my integra, it came w/ cut springs. The ride was harsh and very bumpy. My steering wheel also shaked alot at high speeds and cause uneven tire wear. If you don't mind these symptoms, then cutting it will be ok, though not recommended. If ou don't like these symptoms, then don't cut your springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts