Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my deal.I have a guy that has been hounding me for 6 mos. to buy my truck as is.Now,I love my truck,but I must say I really wish I would've went with a long bed.My thought is,I could start fresh with a 09' Prerunner DC long bed;I wouldn't use 4x4 enough to justify it.I would get just a base model and mod it from there;first a 6" FT lift,wheels & tires,stereo,then other small stuff like I have now.We haven't actually talked any $ yet & I told him w/all the extras the price would be premium.He said he doesn't want a new one & he's not good at the mod thing,so he wants one already cool,to use his words.The thing is,my trucks paid for & I really don't want a payment right now,but the allure of a long bed w/the 6" lift has me kind of pumped.I would love to hear some oppinions to ponder on from anyone that cares to offer one.Thanks,I know I can depend on ya'll to enlighten me on all the angles.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Get a bed extender and avoid a second round of depreciation. Though it is often cheaper these days to buy a new car with all the incentives, I don't think this applies to the Tacoma. Owning your truck outright is the best thing for your budget in our current economy.

·
Registered
324 Posts
with the way things are now days having a vehicle that new paid for is the best thing to keep!!! i wouldnt get any deeper indebt anytime soon...and look this way, how many times have u ran out of room in ur bed that its caused a problem? not enough to justify paying for the extra foot monthly!! lol

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
get serious numbers w/ the guy. if it pencils out, then why not.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Premium Member
08' Tacoma Dbl Cab
5,604 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I have been thinking about selling and upgrading to an 09'. Mostly for the added saftey features that come standard, and I am sick of all the scratches that show up and fighting to keep my Indigo clean and looking nice...a Silver or White 09' TRD Sport/Offroad is becoming more and more tempting...I haven't decided which one but either would be nice. Don't know that I would do anything other than upgrade the stereo and throw on my TRD exhaust as far as mods are concerned. I love the 22 mpg I am getting right now.

Basically no matter what we say, it is ultimately your decision. I would definitely feel this guy out to see exactly what he is willing to pay...and then I would run the numbers. But I'm with the others that say owning a vehicle this new and not having a payment is a very good thing in this economy.

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts
how the heck did you pay off a 07 so quick? i wish mine was! I would keep yours man, don't need a payment in this economy.

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
^ living within or beneath your means.

if you can afford a SL500 Mercedes and instead buy a loaded Tacoma

Mercedes = $1800/month payment including interest for 5 years

Tacoma = $500/month and no interest for 5 years.

double your payment on the truck to $1000/month and pay it off in half the time.... either that, or have a $15,000 downpayment from the beginning.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ Exactly;I had a pretty substantial down payment,more than half.I used that to barter final price & finance rate.Then,worked a few overtime shifts per pay period that went straight on the principle.I'm glad I disciplined myself to do that,cause now no overtime is avail. due to the slow economy.
I have mulled things over & I think I will keep this one for awhile,ride out this recession.Like someone suggested,a bed extender would be all I need for now & alot cheaper.Thanks,for all the comments & suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts