Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys,

I've got 96 camry, 4 cylinder w/105k. I went to bleed and flush all 4 brakes. While bleeding the driver's side rear (rear drum) the wheel cylinder suddenly burst while my assistant was pumping the brakes. I went ahead and replaced the wheel cylinder and the same thing occurred with the new cylinder (i.e. after around 5 pumps to the peddle to build pressure to bleed, the wheel cylinder piston shot out more than would be expected, followed by a mist of brake fluid. any idea what the hell I'm doing to toast these cylinders? thanks!

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
If you mean the rubber ends came off both sides of the piston, then that's really common.
<cough> last time I changed some brake shoes I cheated b/c I didn't want to buy new pistons and jsut duct taped the damned things to the piston.

Worked 100% LoL! Car still drives 4-5 days a week on the highway no problem two years later.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. actually, it's not the rubber boot I'm concerned about, but the fact that brake fluid spewed out the cylinder after 3-5 pumps to the brake. my understanding is that no fluid should come out of the cylinder, even if it's ulimately only a few drops or a mist of fluid. in fact, the fluid that came out was enough to cover the brake linings, which can't be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts