Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sprayed my center tailight panel today. First I went for the usual gloss black, but it didn't come out as I expected, it wasn't evenly sprayed. So I went and bought flat black and it looks great. It's a nice contrast (since it's not glossy) from the glossy look of the rest of the car.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didn't want it to be shiny that's why i just went ahead w/ the flat black. I don't knwo if i like it all that much. I might just use paint remover and take it off.

·
TRD Guy
588 Posts
i would put clear coat on it, it looks dull

·
Guess whos back
2000 VW golf
675 Posts
Dude Flat black will never be shiny....Pick up 60 bux and have some one do it the same color.....plz....No flat black

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Doesn't look bad, but I'd at least clear coat it.

I've been trying not to let the cat out of the bag, but I have a bit of something I'm working on with my center panel myself. I have a feeling it's going to come out looking VERY well too.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if i take it to a shop and have them clear coat it would it be shiny? or would i have to have them spray it black again then clear? I'm looking for the cheapest way to since I'm on a tight budget.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
It depends how glossy you want it. Look at my tail lights (url in my sig to my cardomain), that was what I did with my own clearcoat, however not with a flat color.

I experimented with clearcoating a flat black emblem that I had removed while redoing my grille, if you want, I'll post pics of that.

I think you should really consider just having it professionally painted.

If you do want to DIY, I'd suggest just finding a color-match and going to an auto-body supply store and buying a color match of sintari one-stage paint (it includes clearcoat) and stripping your current paint down, roughing it, then spraying it to match your body color.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i'm just gonna take it to a guy's shop i know cuz I've never got the hang of clearcoating. I don't know if it's the clear coat itself or me. It always tends to come out whiteish rather than clear.

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
you guys read the latest Sport Compact Car??
I think the idea of them painting their STI flat black was great.... I think you should consider doing the same...

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
dna59 said:
i think i'm just gonna take it to a guy's shop i know cuz I've never got the hang of clearcoating. I don't know if it's the clear coat itself or me. It always tends to come out whiteish rather than clear.
you're probably doing one of a few things...

-not letting it dry well enough before adding another coat

-putting too thick of coats on

-holder the spray can too close

-spraying on a humid day

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I remeber reading in some magazine that spraying u'r car a flat color or having them remove the clear coat from u'r ordinary paint is suppose to be like a new up and coming trend. I can't see myself painting my car flat black or anyhting liek that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts