Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Ltd
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang, it's been over 9 hours since the Toddsta's last communique when he went in. We must assume (assuming his heart survived the initial adrenaline rush of ownership) that he has been kidnapped and his HL has been confiscated by his GM programmed neighbors and is being disposed of in an unconscionable way. Special Ops forces may be necessary to recover the Toddsta and his new HL! :help:Who's with me!!! :lol: Toddsta, please reply!, over.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Ok gang, it's been over 9 hours since the Toddsta's last communique when he went in. We must assume (assuming his heart survived the initial adrenaline rush of ownership) that he has been kidnapped and his HL has been confiscated by his GM programmed neighbors and is being disposed of in an unconscionable way. Special Ops forces may be necessary to recover the Toddsta and his new HL! :help:Who's with me!!! :lol: Toddsta, please reply!, over.
I think he was just a figment of our imaginations. Who would really toss out a perfectly mediocre Chevy for a Toyota? :>)

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Bzzzt.... crackle.... crackle....

Toddsta to Toyota Nation..... if you can hear me, I have been on the run in my new Highlander.... when I say 'on the run'.... I mean it in the literal sense. A military experiment has gone awry and has resulted in a Zombie Apocalypse.

Thankfully, we were able to hoard and store more food than we could have otherwise in the old Equinox, thanks to the Highlander's much larger cargo bay.

Have discovered that the DRL's will temporarily stun approaching zombies and leave them confused and walking in circles.

The Highlanders superior quality ride smooths out even the largest of zombies when traversing their bloated corpses.

The Radar Cruise Control has proven beneficial in keeping the family a secure distance away from zombie hoards.

LOL

Thanks for checking in guys.

I took delivery a little later than anticipated. The 'driver' showed up about an hour late.... picked me up in a customer's new Camry Hybrid which he was running back to the dealership to have some hail damage repaired. He took the vehicle up to 90 mph at one point and tailgated a semi...... so much for thinking these 'retired drivers' putt along cautiously at 10 mph under the speed limit.

Anyway - he was great fun to talk to.

Dealer got me in and out quickly enough...... surprising how easy and fast it is to saddle yourself with a $45k automobile.

So... no problems with the dealership - went smoothly.

I didn't touch a thing til I got home.... took ToyHighFan's advice and it was well placed..... there is so much stuff to set and figure out that I would have certainly tested out each and every airbag and safety feature if I had attempted to play with the settings down I-94.

I haven't uploaded any pictures yet, because I told the dealer not to detail the exterior.... at all.... because I wanted to be the first one to put a scratch in the paint - lol. So, I got back home and finally got around to hand washing the HL this evening.... and took a few quick shots before my wife and I went for a joy ride.

I will take some more pics tomorrow and then upload them all.... maybe even with a sequel movie.....

So, here are my initial impressions:

I am so excited and impressed I about dropped a 'steamer' in my britches.

I almost feel guilty for being in possession of such an amazing vehicle.

So far: I haven't had any issues with a 'shaking hood, creaking suspension, rattling seats, screwed up tranny, uncomfortable seats, or any of the other issues that people have experienced. Haven't blasted the stereo yet, but at low to mid-volume levels, it even sounds nice to me.

The only issue which I have experienced and would have to agree with is the Entune Screen washout problem from sunlight. It does take a 'hit' in legibility.... but yet, even that isn't horrible.... I can still see everything 'ok.' But yeah, they should have either recessed the screen or integrated some sort of 'visor' to eliminate the sun from impacting the intensity of the screen.

Honestly? I have never owned a vehicle of this quality caliber before. It rides super-smooth..... is easily 5 times quieter than my 2013 top-of-the-line Equinox LTZ..... steers great...... has a tight turning radius (again far superior to my NOX which took a city block to negotiate a 360 turn).... and is just beautifully laid out. The cockpit and driving experience just amazes me.

I might make a quibble about the 'thin' 3rd row seats/seatbacks.... but I remember thinking the same about the 2014 Santa Fe I checked out. And, does it really matter? I will never be back there anyway, and if they perform the duty they were designed for, then I guess that works for me.

The paint is beautiful - no flaws.

Oh.... and the RUNNING BOARDS..... did EXACTLY as I had hoped: They have a plastic shroud on the bottom side which COMPLETELY cover the underside of the HL's rocker panels.... there is NO WAY that stones/road debri from the tires will shred the paint under there.... as it is fully protected by the underside of the running board assembly. LOVE them for this, as well as the added visual appeal.

I am a picky person. You know the type: For every 10 things I buy, I find fault with 8 of them and return them for something better. I am having a hard time finding fault with much of this HL at this early juncture. Hopefully - this will be a great long term love-affair.

I also didn't really find any need or desire to customize any settings beyond what the factory allows.... and honestly, the nav setting limitation while in motion didn't bug me either.

Oh, one thing I didn't like now that I think of it: The 'engine hood' doesn't have a 'shock absorber' assist to help open the hood and keep it open without use of a 'metal prop.' The hood is somewhat heavy and to me, it's kind of a dangerous thing to have a hood that could slip out of your hand and come slamming down hard..... no reason that they should put a 1950's style hood prop in the HL instead of a gas shock assist. Not a huge deal, but puzzling.

Very happy at this point!!! Rock on ToyotaNation compadres !!

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,053 Posts
Congratulations Todd. Its been some time since you started posting and had interest in the HL, and now its all yours. Enjoy!
The funny thing is...You asked all the questions before owning it...Now what are you gonna do?!! :)

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Congratulations Todd. Its been some time since you started posting and had interest in the HL, and now its all yours. Enjoy!
The funny thing is...You asked all the questions before owning it...Now what are you gonna do?!! :)

I am sure I will have a few more questions.... but maybe I can also transition into answering some questions of others. ;-)

thanks for the congrats Phil! Hey - anyone can own one.... just sign on the dotted line and hope the economy holds for 5 years. lol

·
Registered
776 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the Christmas M&M commercial where Santa and a M surprise each other and exclaim "he/they do exist!" and both faint. :>)

I am glad you finally got your dream.

But keep in mind that the rest of us here have been driving our dreams for some time now. You are preaching to the choir. Let's now all put 200k on them still singing praises!

:welcome:back!

·
2014 Highlander LE
8,053 Posts
Let's now all put 200k on them still singing praises!
:welcome:back!

I can just see...

"Ummm, guys, what junkyard can you recommend for a new hood in the Chicago area?"

"Anyone know an easier way to root the Entune system?"

"My BSM isn't working, any suggestions on how much to turn my neck?"

"How can I safely PlastiDip the dash without getting too much overspray?"

"Folks, my headliner is sitting on my head. Any suggestions?"

Hope not so bad :)

Reactions: OUS

·
AvConsult
3,675 Posts
I am so excited and impressed I about dropped a 'steamer' in my britches.
Inappropriate for this high brow forum. Phil further lowered the standards a notch in another post, today.

.... is easily 5 times quieter than my 2013 top-of-the-line Equinox LTZ.....
Wow...Oh, wait that's just 7 dB. :D

For every 10 things I buy, I find fault with 8 of them and return them for something better.
You are a joy for retailers, I'm sure, and related to my mother in law.

Grudging congrats, I guess. :D

Reactions: Phil Indeblanc

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Inappropriate for this high brow forum. Phil further lowered the standards a notch in another post, today.

Wow...Oh, wait that's just 7 dB. :D

You are a joy for retailers, I'm sure, and related to my mother in law.

Grudging congrats, I guess. :D
Always look on the bright side of life AV ! You'd drop one of these too :crap-emoticon:if you drove one home. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
As we are all complaining about the glare off the entune system...I was wondering how well an anti-glare screen protector would work. Something like this:

My thought is buy the one for a full size iPad and trim it down to fit the screen...any takers or do I get to be the experiment heh :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
How about these? They state they are cut to the proper size already.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/ScreenPatronus-Highlander-Anti-glare-Navigation-REPLACEMENT/dp/B00JNG44MC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402428972&sr=8-1&keywords=highlander+2014+glare[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Lexerd-Highlander-Anti-glare-Navigation-Protector/dp/B00II9IYC6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402428972&sr=8-3&keywords=highlander+2014+glare[/ame]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep same idea...just looking at the reviews of the one I posted as they were very favorable. You have to be careful with anti-glare as most are usually just tinted protectors so you don't want to lose the quality of the screen by adding one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As we are all complaining about the glare off the entune system...I was wondering how well an anti-glare screen protector would work. Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0CKG61WI&linkCode=as2&tag=reviewedbyhumans-20

My thought is buy the one for a full size iPad and trim it down to fit the screen...any takers or do I get to be the experiment heh :)

I did this. It's works great!! I paid $5 for 3 screen protectors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.