Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang - As stated in previous threads, I'm in the process of buying an 09 Tac with TRD Off-Road package. In previous trucks that I've owned, I've always had "soft" tonneau covers covering my beds, as I think it dresses up the truck and keeps anything being stored away from the elements. Seeing its been several years since owning a truck, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on covers for my soon to be, new Tac. Not sure if I want the hinged type or a roll back type. Open to suggestions and pics would really help. Again, awesome forum and appreciate the help in advance.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The hard 'Undecover' work for me.

·
Grey
To be determined....
145 Posts

·
Registered
2014 4WD Dbl Cab OR
97 Posts
I have the soft hinged cover on my Dbl LB. What I like is that I can open it easily and take the whole thing off in less than 5 min. When I was looking at the showroom at the roll up kind, they didn't seem to seal as good and I've had issue with velcro dying in the hot FL sun. The part I don't like is that sometimes I have to take it off. We have 2 recumbent Trikes and they take up the whole bed and are taller than the bed sides. If I had the roll up kind I wouldn't have to take it off. Either way, taking off a soft cover is much easier than taking off a hard cover. So take that into consideration when making your decision. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing is a good point! Ocasionally, I know I'd have to take it off for whatever reasons. A good consideration.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Removing is a good point! Ocasionally, I know I'd have to take it off for whatever reasons. A good consideration.
The Undercover comes off and on in a few minutes.Easier with two people,though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a Snuglid on my '94 Toyota Pickup, and loved/hated it. I loved it 99% of the time. It was that 1% of the time that I had to remove it that made it a pain.

I have an Extang Trifecta (with canvas) on my '06 Tacoma. I like that it seals just as tight as my previous hard tonneau, is foldable (by 2/3rd's) for tall cargo, and EASILY removable for extra large cargo.

I was considering a roll-back tonneau, but was concerned about the space I would permanently lose, and the fact that they can "chatter" while driving.

I'm happy so far. I don't miss the "painted look" as much as I thought I would.

·
Registered
56 Posts
for the undercover one. Is there any drilling required. I have a thing about drilling in my body panels ect. Are there any almost plug and play kits or just brackets and clamps?

·
Registered
2009 TM DblCb Tacoma
94 Posts
I'd personally like a Roll-up soft cover that I don't have to try and store... in case anyone has a suggestion. They seem to be very expensive locally, even more than the OEM soft folding cover.

I'd really love one fit and sealed to a gull wing toolbox, but I don't think that's something that's made, I've only seen toolbox-fit tonneaus for fullsize trucks. Nothing's ever simple :(

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I have a tri-fold tonneau, Advance Accessories I think makes it. Bought it from a guy on craigslist for 300. I love it so far, mine locks into the factory bed rails and only takes about 2 minutes to install about about 30 seconds to remove. Plus, being a trifold, you can fold it up to the front and still be able to stack things in the back. Its a hardcover vinyl tonneau, looks great.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
I'd personally like a Roll-up soft cover that I don't have to try and store... in case anyone has a suggestion. They seem to be very expensive locally, even more than the OEM soft folding cover.

I'd really love one fit and sealed to a gull wing toolbox, but I don't think that's something that's made, I've only seen toolbox-fit tonneaus for fullsize trucks. Nothing's ever simple :(
Call Luke at TruckAlterations.com. Check the Access covers on the site but call him for the best price. I have the Access Literider and it's perfect for my needs. There are other Access covers with more features like the Lorado or LE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed an ARE hard cover. I love it. I think it looks great.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a tri-fold tonneau, Advance Accessories I think makes it. Bought it from a guy on craigslist for 300. I love it so far, mine locks into the factory bed rails and only takes about 2 minutes to install about about 30 seconds to remove. Plus, being a trifold, you can fold it up to the front and still be able to stack things in the back. Its a hardcover vinyl tonneau, looks great.

can u post some pics of ur cover??

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,137 Posts
I've got the Leer. There's a couple of shots here but at a bad angle so you can't see it real well:
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm7/05Moose/

Most of them use the rail system for securing. If you have a garage, removing them is easy and a one-person job. Can be done in about 5 minutes by removing 6 bolts (and goes on just as fast if you leave the 6 clamps in the rails). I actually remove mine a lot in the summer months when going out and cutting firewood. So I don't consider the weight of a hard tonneau to be an issue if you set it up to remove/install as a one-person job:
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm7/05Moose/Tonneau/

Edit:
Oh, and snow load is not a problem!

·
Official TN Member
45 Posts
i wish i had the setup like you to take off my hard top moose. looks like it makes it a ton easier. i have to use 2 people if i don't want to get anything messed up. and i don't really have the room to store it anywhere.

·
Grey
To be determined....
145 Posts
for the undercover one. Is there any drilling required. I have a thing about drilling in my body panels ect. Are there any almost plug and play kits or just brackets and clamps?
No drilling. It uses the utility track in the composite bed.

It comes off easy. One guy could handle it. Two is better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Truxedo roll-up on my D-Cab 6' bed.
Works great with the track system. 6bolts.
Took me about 30min to install the first time.
No issues so far.
(Sorry, haven't figured out how to post pics yet...)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts