Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old car I carried two keys, one for the car, one for the thule racks and bike carriers. With the 05 Tacoma there is no lock for the gas tank, or the tailback, or the bed storage. I can buy all three seperatly, but would be then carrying keys for the gas tank, bed storage, thule racks, and pop and lock!

I have been going through at searching the forums...

The power pop and lock looks good, but can't find anything that would manually open it if something happened to the unit. I may just have to rely on the thread clamp trick. Any solutions I am missing with the search engine?

Does pop and lock make a gas cap lock? The only thread I have seen recommends a cheaply made one off amazon, any other reccomendations? If pop and lock also made a gas cap lock I would be sold.

There was one really good post about adding a combination unit to the bed storage, I may have a small portion solved, but has anyone found any minimal key solutions to all these locks and keys?

Just one or two keys would be awesome!

·
My Other Truck
4,298 Posts
A hard (lockable) tonneau cover keeps your cargo and tailgate fairly secure... that's a key for the truck and one for the tonneau.

Unless you're worried about someone pouring something into your gas tank, you shouldn't need a locking cap. The filler tube has a restrictor to prevent fuel theft.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Why do you need a locking gas cap? The trucks have an anti-siphon screen in the filler neck so you can't get a tube down there.

Of course, I am amazed that you are getting by with three keys. :lol:

I have 5 for the truck - ignition, undercover, locking hitch pin for both front and rear hitches and center console key plus the remote.

Then I think I must have about 20 others on another key ring for houses (ours, cabin and kid's houses), trailer locks, sheds, gates, etc.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Well, you could just store the keys in the truck and just carry the truck key (I do this for the hitch pin lock, but carry all the others on my key ring: Locking Gas Cap key and Tonneau key).

If you're worried about those being stolen, then install a console vault and put the keys in there. Then you'd only have to carry the truck and console vault key. Hmm, not sure if that last statement requires a :naughty: or a :thumbsup:. :lol:

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Why do you need a locking gas cap? The trucks have an anti-siphon screen in the filler neck so you can't get a tube down there.

Of course, I am amazed that you are getting by with three keys. :lol:

I have 5 for the truck - ignition, undercover, locking hitch pin for both front and rear hitches and center console key plus the remote.

Then I think I must have about 20 others on another key ring for houses (ours, cabin and kid's houses), trailer locks, sheds, gates, etc.
Almost every vehicle on the road has this screen, and they can be punctured quite easily with a stiff hose.

Lets just say when growing up not all my buddies were as honest as I...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's my first truck, that just happens to have almost as many options as my old car. Just still sruck by the minor things it doesn't like the gas door opened by the inside and rear defrosters (not sure I need though) etc....

I did just get and install a combination console vault, that thing is awesome! I still don't know about storing all those keys in there, but even though I get an alarm, it will be nice to know what I throw in there isn't going anywhere.

Looking at that metal one for the bed someone sells, just no combination option or I would be all over it.....

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Almost every vehicle on the road has this screen, and they can be punctured quite easily with a stiff hose.
Not, at least according to our local police auto theft squad, are they easy to get around. They say that the pros just punch a hole in our plastic gas tanks and drain them that way and that the screens are highly effective at preventing casual gas siphoning.

There have been numerous threads on this forum and others about how poorly made and ineffective the locking gas caps (made by Standt anyhow) are.

It's my first truck, that just happens to have almost as many options as my old car. Just still sruck by the minor things it doesn't like the gas door opened by the inside and rear defrosters (not sure I need though) etc....
The gas door that you open from the inside is, again according to our local police, easy to bypass with a big screwdriver or a prybar. One sharp pop and it is open. Not much of a deterant.

- - - - -

If you all have found a locking gas cap that seals properly and doesn't trigger the check engine light, who am I to tell you not to use it? My original post was an attempt at some humor with the stated goal of reducing the amount of keys carried and at the same time adding a key. Guess I failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts