Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I just purchased a 2003 Toyota Solara with the 3L V6 engine just today.
I know i should of checked myself but i didn't bother because the dealer told me that it went through the 155 point inspections and all fluids were either changed or topped off.
When i was test driving I didn't really notice, but when i started it cold and started to pay more attention I noticed it was shifting alittle rough compared to my parents camry. There is a hint of jerking shifting up and down. And it seems like when you give it gas the rpms go up more till you let off. I know autos do that, it seems amplified compared to my parent's camry.
Parent's camry, you would accelerate then once up tot speed, u let off and the rpms go down to 1500 right after but on the solara, it would stay in lower gear at 2500 or so till alittle bit after u let off it would shift to the next gear.
So I checked the Trans fluid and its about 2 inches overfilled on the dipstick up from the HOT. and of course i checked it while it was hot and idling in park.
so is this the source of the problem of the shifting issues?
should i get them to take it apart and take some fluid out?
anyone ever overfill it and have the say symptoms as me?

sorry this is so long
thanks for any help ahead of time

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
Hey guys,
I know i should of checked myself but i didn't bother because the dealer told me that it went through the 155 point inspections and all fluids were either changed or topped off.
When i was test driving I didn't really notice, but when i started it cold and started to pay more attention I noticed it was shifting alittle rough compared to my parents camry. There is a hint of jerking shifting up and down. And it seems like when you give it gas the rpms go up more till you let off. I know autos do that, it seems amplified compared to my parent's camry.
Parent's camry, you would accelerate then once up tot speed, u let off and the rpms go down to 1500 right after but on the solara, it would stay in lower gear at 2500 or so till alittle bit after u let off it would shift to the next gear.
So I checked the Trans fluid and its about 2 inches overfilled on the dipstick up from the HOT. and of course i checked it while it was hot and idling in park.

sorry this is so long
Sounds like you are checking the fluid correctly. If that is the case, then YES, get them to remove the excess before it damages your tranny, maybe already damage. Number one cause of tranny damage is too low or too high levels of transmission fluid. Too much or too little fluid will definitely cause poor shifting. If you understand how auto transmissions work, correct fluid level is very important.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you elaborate on what damage that you are refering to?

I don't know much about transmissions but usually i just thought overfilling may make the fluid become aerated. This could cause abnormal operation, such as the jerky shifting. i ddidn't know it would do damage.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, too much fluid could get foamy. Foamy fluid does not circulate and it is ass if you were running without any ATF. Any warranty? GO back to the dealer and make sure you document this, in case the tranny goes you don't want to be blamed for it.

·
2002 Camry
669 Posts
can you elaborate on what damage that you are refering to?

I don't know much about transmissions but usually i just thought overfilling may make the fluid become aerated. This could cause abnormal operation, such as the jerky shifting. i ddidn't know it would do damage.
Transmission is very sensitive to correct fluid levels. Just google it and you will see what I mean. And, it's important the fluid is clean as well.

First thing is take it back to the dealer.

·
イリジウム
13,808 Posts
RPMs may differ between transmissions. The newer U-series transmissions aren't as well made as the older A-series IMO.

The 155 point inspections clearly meant nothing, as they didn't catch the wrong ATF level. Transmissions are precision components and especially in newer ones require very precise ATF level (measured at a certain temperature range).

Get them to draw out the excess fluid. Be ready to consider changing into another car during the warranty period (if there is any).

Hey guys,

sorry this is so long

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes the overfilling may be the problem. i do not trust shops as a whole, if you find one guy who is good; spread it, since they are rare, among the damn fools with wrenches curently making ten bucks per hour. I have been burned too many times not to say this!

I would drain it myself (1o mm HEX) and refill. Use the fluid it says to on the dipstick or owners manual, it is propably Toyota TIV, it costs $5 a qt at the dealer and you will need exactly 3 qts. I have had good luck wiht the new valvoline ATF that says "TIV compatible" no problems with this fluid so far.

Drain your pan (i usually dont unbolt the pan since you have a strainer inside, unless your fluid is black the strainers probably still good for quite a while). Replace plug, add 2.5 qts, run engine, check. Remember the dipstick mark is in PINTS.

·
イリジウム
13,808 Posts
That's so right.

Also, the 2003 U-241E isn't a good transmission to begin with (Toyota junked it and used the redesigned U-250E with new fluid circuits in 2005).

I think it's the Toyota T-IV fluid (re-labeled Mobil-3309)? If so get some new formulation Mobil-1 fully synthetics at your parts store for about the same dealer price.

Yes the overfilling may be the problem. i do not trust shops as a whole, if you find one guy who is good; spread it, since they are rare, among the damn fools with wrenches curently making ten bucks per hour. I have been burned too many times not to say this!
I would drain it myself (1o mm HEX) and refill. Start with 2.5 qts, run engine, check. Remember the dipstick mark is in PINTS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts