Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have a 2014 Tacoma V6 with 4wd. I am NOT a mechanical idiot. I have torn engines down and rebuilt them in high school, and several motorcycles (harley/kawasaki) without too much issue.

At 30000 on the Tacoma I decided to change the oil myself for the first time, the other oil changes were at the dealership and was part of the free maintenance when I bought the truck, all at the proper mileage intervals.

I used to change my own oil on all my vehicles, up until our "Honda phase"...

Now I can actually FIND the oil filter on the Tacoma. I had read on the Internet this morning somewhere that the Tacoma V6 used 6.2 quarts of oil. so I bought six quarts of oil and a filter.

I drained the oil, very warm engine after driving home from work, replaced the filter added five full quarts of oil. started it up for a few minutes and then...

I checked the dipstick and it looks to be reading a VERY HIGH oil level about FIVE INCHES above the high mark. !!!!!!! I realize checking NEW engine oil is tricky. I checked it about six/seven times, all way to high.

So I decided to NOW check my owners manual (yeah I know I should have checked that first) it says 5.2 quarts. So I figure I too much oil.

I put the oil catcher back under the drain pan and took out the oil drain plug and let it drain some oil out, counted about 10 seconds, one one thousand, two one thousand... put the oil plug back in. wiped all of the oil off my hand and arm got up and checked the oil. STILL WAY HIGH, doesn't even look like I drained anything out.

I emptied my oil catcher pan back into my empty gallon oil jug just to see how much oil was in there. I expected it to fill the gallon jug and then fill the extra quart bottle. It barely filled the three and a half quarts of the gallon jug.

My crack math skills tells me some thing is not adding up. The truck should have drained nearly five quarts out when I first pulled the drain plug, unless it was critically low. I then drained about ten seconds (as described above) worth out to try and correct the too much oil condition on the dipstick.

The damn dipstick is still showing way too much oil. So I crack open the oil pan again and less than a pint of oil comes out. I start the beast up for a little while (10 seconds) no more oil is returning to the pan. The dip stick still says way above full.

Total oil removed from the truck is just under four quarts. The oil pan is dry, no more is coming out.

I am concerned.

Where is the oil?

I pull off the new oil filter just in case I got the wrong type of filter from the auto parts store. Destroyed the STP oil filter taking it out so I cleaned up the old Toyota oil filter and screwed it back on. Thinking maybe the engine oil was not returning to the pan from an incorrect filter. I started the truck and let it run 30 seconds. No weird noises, no oil light, sounds OK. Stop the truck and again remove the oil drain plug. No oil in the drain pan.

Where is the oil?

The dipstick still reads high, not quite as high as it was previously, but still way high.

What the heck is going on?
Changing oil is not rocket science.
My driveway is very level.

By my math, the truck should have about five quarts in it when I drained it.

I put five quarts back in, and have since drained it until no more oil is coming out of the drain pan.

TOTAL oil drained from the truck barely fills a gallon oil jug. By my math I should have had nearly two and a half gallons of oil come out of the truck. The five original quarts, and the five I replaced it with.

?????????????????????????????

I am puzzled?

v/r
Chuck in Virginia

·
Registered
07 Tacoma 4X4
377 Posts
I believe you accidentally drained the transmission fluid. Guess how much usually comes out? About 3 qts.

Is the fluid reddish? That's ATF.

The exposed section of the oil pan on these engines from the bottom is very small; many folks have confused the trany pan for the oil pan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

The fluid that I drained did have a red tint to it and that would explain what is happening. So tomorrow I will find the CORRECT drain plug for the OIL pan drain and fill 5 quarts of OIL a new filter and then ADD just under four quarts of Transmission fluid.

What a freaking dummy eh?

·
Administrator
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,989 Posts
If you were to search here for old posts with the correct terms, probably up to 5 percent mistook the trans drain for the oil. You're by no means alone out there. I think I got through your first paragraph when I already figured out what you did. That's how common it has occurred.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I can't find the transmission fill plug on a 2104 Tacoma V6 with Auto. Anyone have any idea where it might be located?

·
Registered
07 Tacoma 4X4
377 Posts
2nd Gen Tacos do not have a trany dipstick.

The fill plug is on passenger side of transmission, up high near the floor board. You'll need a pump to replace the ATF fluid. Replace with amount you think you removed, then add half a quart or so. To check the ATF level, you need to warm up the fluid to a specified temp range (115-130), then remove the check plug (the one that takes a hex socket). ATF that drains out is the excess. If no ATF drains out, then you are short and need to add more ATF and restart the procedure. Remember to be on level ground when checking fluid level.

Some folks are adamant you need the proper software (Techstream) to measure the ATF temp properly, but I can point out two threads where it was effectively shown that using a IR gun is just as accurate. Here is one: post #146. I've done two flushes each on my 07 Taco and 07 Lexus ES350 using an IR gun (and switched to Valvoline MaxLife ATF) and have never had any shifting problems.

It's true - every 30K is a good mileage plan to do a drain/refill of the ATF. Toyota recommends a complete flush every 50K (could be 60, I forget) for severe service usage (towing, commercial use, etc...) When flushing, do the switch to Amsoil or Valvoline MaxLife. If doing a drain/refill, it's best to stick to what is already in there - WS ATF in this case.

Did you locate the oil drain plug? It's in front of the cross member forward of the trany drain plan. It's only about 8" X 4" and is horizontal. Don't forget to drain the excess oil before you drive it!

Pics from Tacoma World

·
Registered
'12 Tacoma '15 Camry
77 Posts
If you found it difficult to do an oil change your going to find refilling the tranny very difficult. Put 4 litres of WS fluid in the transmission and drive it down to the dealer and have them adjust the level. Also the engine takes approx 5.5 to 5.8 litres of oil and the dipstick is a pain in the ass to read on the 4.0.

·
Administrator
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,989 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Tacoma '15 Camry
77 Posts
On a side note, your engine oil is WAY over filled. Make sure you adjust the level before you start it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The factory manual says that with filter change the quantity of engine oil to be replaced is 5.5 qt. The 6.2 qt. is for a bone dry new engine. Be aware that even with 5.5 qt. the V6 will often show overfill. One of the problems is that the oil filter sits nearly vertical, and even though it has an anti-drainback valve on the filter, some work better than others, and there is still gravity flow from the outer can across the filter media to the center tube of the filter and back into the engine. If you use an oversize filter you can get a false overfill reading someimes even with the correct amount. Frustrated with all this I've resorted to using graduated containers to fill to exact factory amounts following about an hour drain.

·
Registered
'06 Avalon
1,560 Posts
Some of the 2nd Gen Tacoma 6 cyl engines use 4.8 qts; the others use 5.5 qts. This spec. is used when you also change the filter.

If you no longer have an owners manual, go to the following web site and download yours:

http://www.justgivemethedamnmanual.com

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,629 Posts
The trans in a '14 does require WS fluid. The dealer uses a machine and a special procedure for filling the trans to the proper level.

As far as reading the oil dipstick, they are tough. I painted the tip of my dipstick white and it's 100% easier to read. Another suggestion that I haven't tried is Scotchbrite the stick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts