Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my old corolla leaks a little bit of oil. Which is understandable since the car is 23 years old and we havent put new seals and gaskets in yet. But with the dipstick saying it was almost full, my brother goes and puts in an entire one of those little bottles of oil. He thought he'd top it off, and be able to see when it was full:rolleyes: Well, now when i pull out my dipstick, I can't even see the F on the thing anymore. Anything bad that can happen because of having too much oil in your engine?

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
don't worry it'll just leak out with the rest of the oil. i would suggest preassure cleaning your motor to find where it's leaking from. that will save you alot of headaches

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Too much oil is as bad as to little.

Just do as if you are going to do an oil change, open the screw and let the excess out.

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not going to move it for a while anyways, and once it's at the mechanic's, he's going to clean everything up. We know where's it's leaking from, it's visible because of all the dried oil at the spot. It barely leaks now because all the old oil clogged the leak:lol: I'll make sure to drain the excess out.

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Too much oil is as bad as to little.
Why would too much oil be a problem, won't it just leak out eventually?

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
if you have too much oil you are in danger of blowing out a seal completly.

this happened in my friends MR2, some retard mechanic thought the dipstick was wrong, so he replaced it, ended up filling it with about 2 quarts more than it should, blew out the rear main seal, the stream of oil out the rear of that car was unbelievable. it would be out of oil in a matter of minutes after filling.

·
still chuggin' along
1981 Corolla SR5
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, my car leaks more power steering fluid than anything else. Need to have it checked. Can't complain though, for such an old car, it still runs great.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This would be a great time for my favorite car joke!!!

Q: Why don't the British build computers?

A: Because they can't figure out how to make them to leak oil!!!

:lol:

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
i heard that too much oil can seriously screw up your connecting rods

1 - 11 of 11 Posts