Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2014.5 Camry SE
943 Posts
Hope they get you back on the road soon! I wouldn’t think GAP would apply hear since you are not at fault? I would think the at fault persons insurance should provide you with enough to get it replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be upside down since it's so new in the event it's totaled. My buddy at the body shop said it might be totaled based on the damage being so high up. I'll take it in next week and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,650 Posts
I had an accident years ago. Didn't purchase GAP, so I was responsible for remaining payments to release the title to the insurance company.

My understanding of GAP insurance.will cover the difference from value of vehicle at time of loss to loan balance.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,639 Posts
Simple dents in the body can be managed. The question is how the frame is, especially the rear section. It may not be as pretty, but you can pound out and smooth the body panels some without an entire body shop cost. Once you remove the rear bumper and that rear quarter panel you will know more. Trunk assembly as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to say but that looks totaled. Doesn't look like they hold up very well. How fast was the impact?

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
Another agreement that it's a total.
And regardless of whether you have GAP or not, it is the responsibility of the at-fault party's insurance company to make you whole. GAP only comes into play if it is your fault. You absolutely will have to fight for it though.
When my '93 Blazer was totaled a couple of years ago, I spent nearly a month fighting them on the valuation. Ultimately, they came up from $1900 to $2700.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,639 Posts
I would be wary of the term "totaled". The insurance will 'total" the car (I believe) if the cost to repair it exceeds its actual value cash (ACV) or some portion of the ACV, like 75% of ACV. That includes body shop labor which is always pretty damn high. Body work can be done yourself or other ways and save a ton of cash.

Anyway, sounds like you are still on payments, so it is the bank's car, not yours (correct?). If the other guy was at fault, he has to pay for it. Sue him for any amount the insurance companies won't cover. Your insurance company should fight that battle for you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
THE LEFT rear door looks like there is a gap problem. Your damage might go into the pillars for the roof
The wrinkles in the fender above the wheel are generally enough to total.
My Blazer had a very slight wrinkle above one of the rear tires. I did not notice it until the adjuster pointed it out. I thought I just needed a new tailgate. The car drove just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,650 Posts
You will have several options.

1. Total loss and other driver pays off the car. Buy another car.

Be sure to take off the aftermarket stuff before giving it to the insurance company. You can sell those on your own should you decide not to get another Corolla.

2. Rebuild title. Buy back from your insurance company and then fix it. Don't know if the repairs will be made by insurance. Will or can be problematic when selling it. No experience here.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
496 Posts
My uneducated opinion is also that it's totaled. The crumple zone in the rear is compromised and it's not as simple as just pulling it out.

About GAP insurance: I don't believe it matters who is at fault for it to kick in. If you are upside down on the loan, it is not the other party's responsibility to pay off your loan for you. It is their responsibility to make you whole -- that is, to give you enough money to buy the exact same vehicle again on the open market. If your car's market value is $12K but you owe $16K, they only need to give you $12K because you can buy the same car for $12K. You were $4K upside down before, you remain $4K upside down now.

If you had GAP insurance in this scenario, regardless of fault, the GAP coverage would kick in and cover the $4K. Technically, you would have "made" $4K from this transaction.

If you don't have GAP insurance, fight for a high valuation for your totaled car. Don't settle for a price you're not pleased with. Market price is not fixed -- the range of prices can help you. Fight for dealer retail value PLUS dealer documentation fees, taxes, registration, plates, new car inspection fees, you name it. You ARE entitled to this -- these are costs you will need to pay to replace your current car.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,650 Posts
Body shop is telling me it's repairable. Preliminary estimate at 7K before they even tear it down.
This is solely based on the my 18 xse with standard options. The range is high $10k-12k. Based on this, the repairs is more than its value and will likely be totalled by insurance. Especially when the adjuster looks under the rear seats. The hidden damage is what will end up totalling the car.

I really hope it works out for you.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts