Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OlDsChOoLeR
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is a 1990 camry. it has been really sluggish since i got my new 3s-fe engine put in about 5 months ago. I was told to get the govenor and valve body cleaned on my transmission...

my display never shows my green "norm" light. also sometimes when my overdrive is out (off) the display blinks "oveverdrive off" when this happens my car seems to skip 2 gear. it is in first then shifts(possibly to 3rd) and takes forever to get moving.(sluggish)

but sometimes the light wont blink and car runs fine. then it will rev up and go back and forth.

the mechanic said "it could be a solenoid problem on the transmission. (the only electric part on the transmission)" "it tells the car when to shift"
so thursday I bringing my car back in and they are gonna be going to work on it.

anyone have input or suggestions. does this guy seem right? help please..

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
I remember reading somthing along time ago where a Gen2 owner had some tranny problems. It turned out that a wire harness failed and was the cause of the problem. It was a cheap fix, but fluke that they diagnosed it properly.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There might be a diagnostic mode for the transmission. The V6 tranny has it, but not sure about the 3S tranny

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
There are diagnostic codes the mechainc can pull on the transmission. If you have a repair manual look in it and it will tell you somewhere how to look up the diagnostic codes. More than likely if there is a solenoid problem it will have set a code and it will be in the computer. However since it is OBD computer the code might not be set there but from what I have heard of your problem it seems like it is a solenoid problem. The 200-250 does that include parts and labor or just labor? because it really doen'st take much to replace the solenoid. All you have to do is drain the tranny fluid take the pan off and the solenoids are right there. You figure out which one is bad unscrew and un plug it put the new one in put the pan back on and put tranny fluid in it and you are done.

·
OlDsChOoLeR
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hotwheelharmer said:
There are diagnostic codes the mechainc can pull on the transmission. If you have a repair manual look in it and it will tell you somewhere how to look up the diagnostic codes. More than likely if there is a solenoid problem it will have set a code and it will be in the computer. However since it is OBD computer the code might not be set there but from what I have heard of your problem it seems like it is a solenoid problem. The 200-250 does that include parts and labor or just labor? because it really doen'st take much to replace the solenoid. All you have to do is drain the tranny fluid take the pan off and the solenoids are right there. You figure out which one is bad unscrew and un plug it put the new one in put the pan back on and put tranny fluid in it and you are done.
DUDE! your like a god! thanks for that information. :thumbup: He quoted 200 -250 for parts abd labour (whole deal) what repair manaul are you speaking of?(specific for camry?) well i wish I new someone like you who lived cose to me that could fix it. Just pay you like $100 bucks,.....

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
I know I know I am like a God.....If I had a dollar for everytime someone said that to me....I could buya kids happy meal at wendys :) Anyways the repair manual I Am talking about the year and car specific one. I receommend the toyota one because it has everything it is like twice as thick as the haynes or chiltons manual which means it has more detail, more pictures and plus it was made from toyota the same company that made the car so they shold know the best. And to let you know most people wished I live around them to work on there cars but I am not a god just a guy in school for auto service which I gradute in spring and become a certified toyota tech next october so I am just a normal toyota tech that likes to help out fellow toyota fans :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
the Haynes uses many of the charts and diagrams from the Toyota manual.

Too bad I've already sold my Toyota repair manuals.

If I remember correctly, it's just like checking the Toyota engien computer, accept the OD button flashes on and off.

·
OlDsChOoLeR
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went to go pick up my camry, it runs awesome! it shifts properly now. i have much more low end power and my accelaration is much better. When i got the car I thought it was suppose to be really slow like that. and complained about the speed it had. but now i so much more satifised and can "jet" around more! i still have to do further tests and get a better fell(interstate driving and fast accelaration) The total with tax came to like $259. it is all good because that was my christmas present from my mom! BTW the replaced the shifting solenoid. thanks guys for the help tw. :thumbup: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts