Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just hit 50k and my maintenance required light was on so took my 2014 le for oil change and rotation of tires here is what dealers quoted me for recommend service what you guys think? and also reccomend what tires should i get and battery as well and is brake flush and other service really necessary?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I just hit 50k and my maintenance required light was on so took my 2014 le for oil change and rotation of tires here is what dealers quoted me for recommend service what you guys think? and also reccomend what tires should i get and battery as well and is brake flush and other service really necessary?

• Tires you can maybe take their opinion on. I can't see your tires so only you can judge them.
  • Brake fluid flush is optional and not many people are gonna do it. I would do it myself as I know how to. The master cylinder and brake fluid won't go bad for a rather long time but at the same time they are already "bad".
  • Fuel injection service is also optional and you can do it yourself with some Techron Fuel Cleaner for less than $10.
  • Battery, this one is a hard one. I am not convinced your battery is 'bad" and it would read "low" either way if the key was on ACC or ON.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Tires- your judgement but you can find better tires for less elsewhere
Brake fluid- unless you drive really hard I doubt it's needed yet. Had mine done 2 or 3 years ago about $45 at
independent shop.
Fuel injection- as mentioned Techron
Battery- maybe. have it tested elsewhere. Shop around and you can get more battery for less $ than from Toyota.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just had my tires replaced at the toyota $635 installed and balanced. Cost depends on the tires, better the tires, expensive the cost
Brake fluid needs to be replaced every 2 years as it does gather the moisture
Fuel Injector service, no thanks
Battery, I would just replaced it myself or even ler dealer do it, no biggie.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Members have provided some good advice, but here are my comments:

• Tires. I would go to Discount Tires and have them inspect them. One time I took my father's car there and asked for 4 new tires, and they told me it only needed 2 new tires. Even if you need new tires, a dealer is the last place I would get them. I recommend Costco (membership required) or Discount Tires.

• Brake Fluid change. I personally would not change it, unless I had a problem with my brakes, or the reservoir fluid looked dark. I also would not open the brake reservoir fluid cap unless it was a very dry day (low humidity). You can see it through the clear plastic reservoir.

• Fuel Injection Service. As others have noted, use Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner (or similar named product). You can get it at Walmart or any auto parts store. Follow the directions. I would check www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ to make sure you are using good quality gas that has enough detergents to keep your engine clean.

• Battery. Take your car to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts, and they will do a free battery check in the parking lot. Go when they are not busy. Make sure there is no corrosion on top of your battery and at the connections, and clean if necessary (check YouTube videos).

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the great advice, for tires i am still on OEM at 50k so it definitely needs new tires i checked on discount tires found the "continental TrueContact Tour" for $550 installed with 6 months 0 apr finance so i will be getting those.

Thanks for the Techron advice as i have used that before in my car so i am covered there and for Brake fluid i will agree with everyone advice

As far as battery goes i know for sure its on its last leg as several occasion i had to jump start my car at work while on lunch as i have listened to the radio over an hour without the cars on as they quoted 188.99 for new battery but in the paper work they stated as charging battery wonder why

and i found the battery "AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 24F, 750 CCA" from advance auto parts for $165 does anyone got better recommendation for battery?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i found the battery "AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 24F, 750 CCA" from advance auto parts for $165 does anyone got better recommendation for battery?
That is a good battery that I would recommend. Basically the same as the Duralast from Autozone and others also made by Johnson Controls. There are only three manufacturers in North America, Johnson Controls, East Penn, and Exide. The retailers (including Toyota) just stick their own label on whichever one they source from.

I definitely would recommend the best flooded cell battery, usually labeled "gold" by many retailers. Avoid the "silver" or lowest price ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get other opinions. Most dealer service departments are seeking "extra sales". I got the brake fluid flush and didn't need it, never again will I just say "sure" to shut the service guy up.

I got tires when the treads were low and looked online. Found set of 4 at Discount Tire, for $520, versus $750-1000 at dealer!

Batteries can be tested at most auto shops, no need for dealer service. And if over 5 years old, shop for a deal.

·
Registered
996 Posts
1) Buy tires from an online service like tirerack.com and have them shipped to a local installer like Goodyear. Recommend Michelin Energy Saver AS for a Lexus smooth and quiet ride in the original tire size your LE came in, probably 215/65R/16 or 205/65R/16

2) Do the brake fluid exchange to avoid future caliper, abs system and master cylinder problems.

3) Have them do a coolant exchange too using Toyota Pink antifreeze if you want to extend the life of your water pump and eliminate system corrosion. Of course if you're a do-it-yourselfer you can drain the radiator, measure the amount drained and return an eqivalent amount of new Toyota pink.

4) You don't need "fuel injection service" but instead ask for the throttle plate to be manually scrubbed clean of carbon soot. Very important for optimal engine power, fuel economy and long catalytic converter life. Should involve only 1/2 hour of labor + 1 can of throttle body cleaner.

5) Get a new Group 24F Everstart battery from Walmart for $115 and install it yourself. These last 5 years and are fully warranteed for 3 years

6) Drain and refill the 2.1 quarts of WS transmission fluid in the transmission oil pan to avoid transmission problems after the 100,000 mile mark. Or, ask the dealer about the free torque converter replacement recall as the recall procedure involves changing the fluid.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Dealers love clueless consumers.

1. tires... did they even list the brand or size? This is why many shop online... you can get quality tires for the cost of 'unknown' or 'generics'. My cars see Michelins, Pirellis, Goodyears, Bridgestones... only, and not entry level consumer discount tires.... but their better tires.
2. Brakes should get bled with every brake service and every 2-3 years. So, a shop to bleed your brakes for 'an hour' of labor. Not sure what your location or going rates are.
3. Change your engine air filter, and add a bottle of techron to the gas tank at your next fuel fill up.
4. Charge battery? WTF.... change battery if over 5 years old. SamsClub, Walmart, Costco, Bjs, and all your local autopart stores shold change the battery for $100

Dealerships love inept helpless consumers.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So they have been mixed answer on here when it comes to "Brake fluid flush" is it a must or not i have never done that on my previous cars so wanted opinions from here, as far as the tires go i will be getting continental true contact tires.

like others mention about transmission, but am Not sure abt the transmission fluid exchange yet as the car shifts perfectly right now

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
So they have been mixed answer on here when it comes to "Brake fluid flush" is it a must or not i have never done that on my previous cars so wanted opinions from here, as far as the tires go i will be getting continental true contact tires.

like others mention about transmission, but am Not sure abt the transmission fluid exchange yet as the car shifts perfectly right now
Brake fluid flush is a mixed opinion service. If you talk to almost anyone (not on the forum) they will have probably never heard of it other than from quotes. I did mine at 100,000 miles on my 08 Camry because at this point it is over ten years old. I used Wagner DOT 5.1.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've owned a number of vintage Toyotas and have learned the hard way that not changing brake fluid = deteriorated durability of the expensive hydraulic system components. Conversely, I've learned replacing the brake fluid every 5 years with Toyota DOT 3 fluid, using a vacuum bleeding method, can lengthen the life of the hydraulic components to 50 years.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Best to check the warranty on the battery from different places and get the best one. Wally world, auto stores, Costco/Sams are options available to you. Dealer doesnt offer any better warranty or price or quality for batteries. Should expect to pay about $100 for a new battery. Get the battery tested for free first. Advance will do it for you.

Check online for coupons. Advance Auto has 25% off coupons. Use it to buy online with store pickup. They will install it for free when you go in for pickup.

You got some good advice on this thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went through the same BS on my 2014. Got it done elsewhere except I got an 84 month Toyota battery for $110. Look at the Toyota owners website, or your dealer's for a coupon. Brake fluid should be changed every 3 years or so. If it hasn't been changed since new, it's a cheap investment to protect from brake line corrosion (the fluid is hygroscopic) and caliper damage, Get it done at the tire place for around $100. https://www.cars.com/articles/how-often-do-i-need-to-change-my-brake-fluid-1420680336417/

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great advice, for tires i am still on OEM at 50k so it definitely needs new tires i checked on discount tires found the "continental TrueContact Tour" for $550 installed with 6 months 0 apr finance so i will be getting those.

Thanks for the Techron advice as i have used that before in my car so i am covered there and for Brake fluid i will agree with everyone advice

As far as battery goes i know for sure its on its last leg as several occasion i had to jump start my car at work while on lunch as i have listened to the radio over an hour without the cars on as they quoted 188.99 for new battery but in the paper work they stated as charging battery wonder why

and i found the battery "AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 24F, 750 CCA" from advance auto parts for $165 does anyone got better recommendation for battery?
If you order it online to be picked up at youre local store it still comes with free installation. Advance is just about always advertising a 10 to 20% online discount. That way you get a discount, free install, and core exchanged all one stop.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Not as Happy a Toyota Camry Owner as I'd Planned t
7 Posts
Dealers love clueless consumers.

1. tires... did they even list the brand or size? This is why many shop online... you can get quality tires for the cost of 'unknown' or 'generics'. My cars see Michelins, Pirellis, Goodyears, Bridgestones... only, and not entry level consumer discount tires.... but their better tires.
2. Brakes should get bled with every brake service and every 2-3 years. So, a shop to bleed your brakes for 'an hour' of labor. Not sure what your location or going rates are.
3. Change your engine air filter, and add a bottle of techron to the gas tank at your next fuel fill up.
4. Charge battery? WTF.... change battery if over 5 years old. SamsClub, Walmart, Costco, Bjs, and all your local autopart stores shold change the battery for $100

Dealerships love inept helpless consumers.
Well he's not so inept or clueless as he knew to come here and ask the more experienced among us!!

·
Supercharzed Toyz Raczing
289 Posts
My wife's female friend took her older Corolla to Tires Plus to fix a flat. They also supplied a $2500 service quote.
Every dealer apparently uses this marketing tool as this owner found out.

You need to understand dealers make most of their profit from the service bays not selling new cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts