Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
Hmm seems about right with popular modded cars. I think there is only one car from Toyota that could go on that list and its the 90s All-Trac Celicas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the comment. It's funny that you mention the all-trac because I'm following up the article with the top 3 sport compact engines of the 90's (hint hint 3s-gte).

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
^ For top engines from Toyota in the 90s IMO it should go to 20V 4AGE. It was one of the first 5 valves per cylinder motors to go in a car. Produced 165hp out of a 1.6L. Better than most 1.6L in its day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reccomendation. although the 4age was one hell of an engine, were focusing on engines that were sold here in the US and toyota, for some unknown reason, never brought their 4age over here during the 90s.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
S13? really?
Eclipse ?
Civic?

Wow.....

S13 - slow, over played, most you find are automatic transmissions
Better choice - 91-94 Nissan Sentra SE-R. better handling, comes with the "beloved SR20DE", which is rock solid reliable, Has the sleeper look, and has just as much aftermarket support.

Eclipse GSX - Unreliable, rebuilding engines every 100k cuts into modifications. Misses your requirement there, Expensive, and harder to find than the rest.

Honda Civic - Yea, this one should be on the list, but its definatly not the best. And most certianly did not pioneer the way for the sport compact. 1991-1992 you could get THE original sport compact, with better handling, more power, better build quality and similar aftermarket - and that car was - VW Golf GTI 2.0L 16V. I mean, come on - it came factory with Recaro seats and BBS wheels!! Honda didnt figure that out for years.

My list

3: Honda Civic SI
2: Nissan Sentra SE-R
1: Volkswagen GTI 2.0L 16V

And all of these can still be had easily for less than $3k - The turbo MR2/Celica would be in there for the fan boys, but its too damn expensive, and probably too much car for the 1st requirment set by the site.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
Tommy said:
S13? really?
Eclipse ?
Civic?

Wow.....

S13 - slow, over played, most you find are automatic transmissions
Better choice - 91-94 Nissan Sentra SE-R. better handling, comes with the "beloved SR20DE", which is rock solid reliable, Has the sleeper look, and has just as much aftermarket support.

Eclipse GSX - Unreliable, rebuilding engines every 100k cuts into modifications. Misses your requirement there, Expensive, and harder to find than the rest.

Honda Civic - Yea, this one should be on the list, but its definatly not the best. And most certianly did not pioneer the way for the sport compact. 1991-1992 you could get THE original sport compact, with better handling, more power, better build quality and similar aftermarket - and that car was - VW Golf GTI 2.0L 16V. I mean, come on - it came factory with Recaro seats and BBS wheels!! Honda didnt figure that out for years.

My list

3: Honda Civic SI
2: Nissan Sentra SE-R
1: Volkswagen GTI 2.0L 16V

And all of these can still be had easily for less than $3k - The turbo MR2/Celica would be in there for the fan boys, but its too damn expensive, and probably too much car for the 1st requirment set by the site.
Did you just put GSX and Hard to Find in the same sentance? theres like 40 of them in a 1/4 mile stretch are you joking? The 240sx is wayyy harder to find than an eclipse

·
Registered
Eclipse GSX
76 Posts
Tommy said:
Is that coming from first hand experience?? or hearsay?? Like all cars, if you take car of it they will take care of you. I seen original owners with 200k miles on there Eclipse turbo with same engine.

Ne0z31 said:
Did you just put GSX and Hard to Find in the same sentance? theres like 40 of them in a 1/4 mile stretch are you joking? The 240sx is wayyy harder to find than an eclipse
The Eclipse GST and GSX are getting harder to find no thanks to want a-be racer,ricer, bean shooters and a really big thanks to the guys of F&F. I really want to get a Colt 1911 45.cal and blow them away.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
ok, well hard to find is definatly dependant on the market, but reliablity is the same everywhere - mistubishi engines have terrible valve trains that wear out way too fast.

·
Registered
Eclipse GSX
76 Posts
Hey DSM stop production about 8 years already. It is the same 4G63 found on the Lancer Evolution. Around the sametime the honda guys was happy with 13-14 sec. 1/4 miles and as for use DSMer's we was shooting 13-11sec. 1/4 mile.

As for the Celica GT-4 very rare, sh!t i have seen very little of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEMZ5Zq-ac

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Oh yea, 4G63 is a great motor...

for the first 100k miles.

after that, its like any other domestic motor...could run great, could run like crap.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
4G63Attack said:
Hey DSM stop production about 8 years already. It is the same 4G63 found on the Lancer Evolution. Around the sametime the honda guys was happy with 13-14 sec. 1/4 miles and as for use DSMer's we was shooting 13-11sec. 1/4 mile.

As for the Celica GT-4 very rare, sh!t i have seen very little of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juEMZ5Zq-ac

Aren't the Eagle Talons 4WD? What's the horsepower for the Talon, it didn't say? The Supra driver starts out a little bit too slow, he's probably a novice.

·
Registered
Eclipse GSX
76 Posts
I guess, I'm in a up hill losing battle here with you guts:sosad:, but any how we are talking about in the 90's right ?? so I'm trying to stick to it.

Will then lets fast forward to today. Toyota is going to wipe GM sooner or later becoming #1 car maker.they got a hold of Subaru. It seem like Toyota is like the GM of Japan only caring or making money. They don't have any fun cars any more and if you want a RWD car it is going to be 30k+. There isn't a big after market for toyota now. with the old engine you can with the new engine not much.

As for Mitsubishi the are going down hill. they do have stronger engine but in the long run it don't last. have a good after market.

Got a friend who have Acura NSX (Zanardi Edition), Honda S2000, Lotus elise. He driven my car and said it was fun.

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
What....no Camry!? j/k

The Eclipse and Civic.....no question. The 240...eh...I'm on the fence.

Do the 90s Accords count as a sport tuner? Probably not. But I see more modded Accords than 240s.

·
Registered
Eclipse GSX
76 Posts
Tommy said:
Oh yea, 4G63 is a great motor...

for the first 100k miles.

after that, its like any other domestic motor...could run great, could run like crap.
oh, oh my eclipse have 130k miles on it and dose that mean that i have to rebuild my engine. even it is set running strong and making 230HP :rolleyes:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Did you not read the post you qouted?

3rd line "after that, its like any other domestic motor...could run great, could run like crap."

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
camrycoupe95 said:
What....no Camry!? j/k

The Eclipse and Civic.....no question. The 240...eh...I'm on the fence.

Do the 90s Accords count as a sport tuner? Probably not. But I see more modded Accords than 240s.

The blog post was the best sport compact tuners out there. Fastest, best handling, easiest to maintain, best after market out of the box. Also they threw in some historical context, and somewhat popularity.

people modify accords for the same reason you modfiy a camry - its what youve got and you want to make it better. 9/10 its still slow and handles poorly (looks are subjective, but 9/10 they look worse afterwords) The accord is not a sport compact.

·
Registered
Eclipse GSX
76 Posts
it is coming from experience or hearsay??? I bet you heared it from billy bob from Tucson, Arizona. It all comes from how the owner take care of the car and maintenance.

Even I can make a new Toyota vehicle go back in to the dealer for major repairs :whatwhat:. Even Toyota is not bulletproof . I know I drive my corolla on the canyon roads bit often back then, with constant hi rpm raving, and down shifting, it took all the abuse but soon it was soon falling apart the engine went soon followed the transmission .

It was very well maintenance change oil every 3k miles all other fluid every year and other too.

you just jealous that your car don't have a high fun-factor to it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts