Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent news about NBC's quest to create a Top Gear for the United States has brought forth rumors of potential hosts. First, names like Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfield were offered up to great debate. Now another name with an extensive hosting resume but no previous ties to the peacock network is heading up the leader board. That name is Adam Carolla, formerly of Loveline and The Man Show. Carolla is no stranger to the land of automotive enthusiasm, either. He owns a BRE replica Datsun 510 that once graced the cover of Grassroots Motorsports. The rest of the horses in his stable aren't too shabby either, like an E30 BMW M3, for instance. No official word has come out of NBC on the matter, but an excited Carolla decided to spill the beans on his radio show, anyway.
i rather watch reruns of the original top gear, but id give them a try

·
Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,984 Posts
You can't beat the original. Plus they have more interesting cars in Europe (generally speaking) than the U.S. Either they can gear it towards performance gear heads or families who are looking at cars. So they can either go with the best minivan or consistantly test "fast" or sporty cars like Top Gear does. I know Top Gear tests other cars besides fast ones but still they mostly test the high end fast ones.

·
2000 Cadillac Seville STS
Cadillac Seville STS
451 Posts
I started watching Top Gear on YouTube and was instantly hooked. I especially loved the episode with the Hilux, its amazing the engineering that went into the Toyota's of the day. I also love they admit they are extremely biased towards anything that is British, and its just funny to watch.

Top Gear would be amazing in the US, since I haven't seen Car and Driver on TV for awhile :(

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
This show is going to be called "Gear", and I think this will never gonna be as good as the original Top Gear. Will give the show a try but that's pretty much it.

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
I don't see any of those guys being hosts and having the show be successful. Yes they may be gearheads, but not to the public (minus Leno's cars). They should just give us the original.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Yay. :rolleyes:

seriously, :wtf: where they thinking? :confused::disappoin

It won't hold a candle to the original. I'd give it a year before it gets pulled off the air due to boycotts or poor ratings.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Wow, they really got creative with that name there didn't they?:disappoin
:lol: Well, it speaks volume of their "creativity" when they were announcing a US version of the original Top Gear :lol:

Let's face it, American TV production companies cannot hold a candle to the Brits when comes to automotive shows. I'm not bashing by any means, just telling the truth.

Yay. :rolleyes:

seriously, :wtf: where they thinking? :confused::disappoin

It won't hold a candle to the original. I'd give it a year before it gets pulled off the air due to boycotts or poor ratings.
:lol: I wouldn't say bad things like that, but I do wish them luck. Since the viewers will definitely compare the new show to the original, and that won't fair well to the new show.

·
Tacoma Rocks
1,742 Posts
U have to ask whats the philosophy behind this tv show here in USA...
Just a rebadge program? or been creative enough and innovate and distinguish themselfs from the parent program....

·
Registered
1986 Toyota Cressida
4,512 Posts
A lot of the appeal in the current UK Top Gear is the personality of the three hosts. So its going to be obvious that it won't be the same. The American show may develop its own personality so that it may actually be good in its own way without needing to follow the original. The only potential weakness I see is its on NBC meaning...sponsors might have some influence, the keyword there is might. The current Top Gear is on BBC2 which has absolutely no commercials, since its taxpayer money, thus Top Gear is very free to say whatever it wishes about any car. I know many of Clarkson's critics think he's pro-British cars but tell that to the MG Rover workers out of work and they'll say he's really anti-British. If this was an HBO show I wouldn't be thinking this way.

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
A lot of the appeal in the current UK Top Gear is the personality of the three hosts. So its going to be obvious that it won't be the same. The American show may develop its own personality so that it may actually be good in its own way without needing to follow the original. The only potential weakness I see is its on NBC meaning...sponsors might have some influence, the keyword there is might. The current Top Gear is on BBC2 which has absolutely no commercials, since its taxpayer money, thus Top Gear is very free to say whatever it wishes about any car. I know many of Clarkson's critics think he's pro-British cars but tell that to the MG Rover workers out of work and they'll say he's really anti-British. If this was an HBO show I wouldn't be thinking this way.

Good point! Can we expect reliable info, especially when the American market is so commercialized ? IE.. the so called infomercials by GM (transformers) and Ford (KnightRider).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts