Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Toyota Gearhead
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am down to 2 choices for toppers for my Taco. A Leer 100R or an ARE "V" series. Costs are about the same, but I have some questions that neither local dealer can answer.

First, what was done about the height difference at the front of the bed? The front of the bed is 5/8 to 3/4 an inch lower than the bed sides. All the toppers that I have seen, the bottoms are the same height.

Second, what are the ARE folks using for clamps? The Leer dealer told me about some special clamps for the Taco that use our factory bed rail system. The ARE guy had no clue.

Also does anyone that has one of these toppers have anything that they do not like about it or would change. I plan to add the front removable/tipout front slider window, carpeted interior and will probably get the vented side "windoors".

Thanks!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
What is the cost of the tops in your neck of the woods, I had the leer 100xq installed for 1495 from a dealer in the chicago area. I looked online for some other dealers prices and this guy matched a dealer in Indiana. The clamps for the Taco's utilize the rail system in the bed with special clamps for our truck, I am very pleased with the fit and finish of the cap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ARE Cap

Hello. I had the ARE Z series cap installed on my 206 double cab. I never noticed any issues with any height difference. It is screwed to my rails somehow, but I have the carpeted interior, and I can not really notice the work. I have the flip out window as well. I have no problems or complaints at all. I wish the dome light was a little brigher however.

·
Toyota Gearhead
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 100XQ is $1669 here. But, we only have one Leer dealer, so they can charge what they want. The 100R is $961.

·
Registered
71 Posts
you should see if they would price match, when i looked at the other leer models to add the carpet and a light it was some where in the neighborhood of 225 to 300 extra for those options.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TRD 4x4
13 Posts
I have the A.R.E MX
It uses clamps that mount to the side rails.
Love my Windoors! They are indispensable for saving your KNEES ;)
And the tipout cab window is an answer to a long time prayer.

Fit and finish is great.
Very weather tight.
I have been told that current versions of this top do NOT have the tempered glass skylight.

Look closely and you can see the attachment to the bed rails.
The shell @ the cab planes thru with the sides and sits on closed cell foam.

·
Toyota Gearhead
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wyatt - can you post a larger pic of your truck with the topper?

Also, what is filling the gap in the height at the front of the bed? Is it filled with the seal or does the topper fill this gap?

Thanks

·
2007 Blk Prerunner DC LB
2007 Blk Prerunner
134 Posts
I have the 100R Leer and have one on my Super Cab Ranger also. They build up the space in the front to the correct height and the Leer has an extra area that extends slightly out on the sides for better fit and waterproofing. I have the full lined interior and front slider drop-down, plus 12 volt light, and sliding windows with screens...Rich

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine comes in next week

I ordered a leer 100R about two weeks ago and look forward to getting it next week. I mainly choose the leer because lots of friends have them and the leer dealer is close to my house. I did like all the option packages too.

I ended up getting the browning package with the built in gun case in the roof for hunting. Plus all the carpet and roof racks and other options...

I ended up getting the cap to shelter my two dogs when we go hunting and still be able to keep everything dry.

Now I am wondering if I should get a tailgate lock for extra security. Did anyone else install a tailgate lock after getting a cap?

Chris

·
MO Networks Inc.
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
112 Posts
I copied these pictures from a post I had almost 3 years ago so I hope it works. I have the 100R with the windoor sliders and for the most part like it... The glass that goes against the rear window of the cab rattles around a lot. The topper also doesn't seem to line up with the top of the cab as well as I would like it to, although you can't really tell in these pictures. I've had to replace the supports for the rear glass which I guess is normal, but the LEDs for the brake light won't all light up and I can't figure out why.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TRD 4x4
13 Posts
Wyatt - can you post a larger pic of your truck with the topper?

Also, what is filling the gap in the height at the front of the bed? Is it filled with the seal or does the topper fill this gap?

Thanks
goforlow
I added pics to my original post.
And attempted to answer your 2nd question.
I really don't see any 'gap' at the front of the bed on my top, but as I stated above the shell is sitting on closed cell foam.
:)

·
Toyota Gearhead
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help/answers. I just ordered a Leer 100R. I am getting it with the carpeted interior, the removable front slider and windoor sliders on both sides.

Thanks, I will post some pics after I have it installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts