Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't afford my current one, It's AIG i believe. Its something like 550 or so a month as me being a primary. Anyone know somewhere that would be cheaper. I have one accident that wasn't my fault (Drunk Driver) and no tickets. I have to give up my Camry because of it. I'm thinking about getting the cheapest car possible to lower the insurance but I don't know where to go. I'm 17 btw.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
because of your age and lack of driving experience...u are pretty much at the mercy of insurance companies...ur best option would prolly be listed as a secondary driver under ur parents insurance until u can get some years and most importantly no further accidents and/or speeding tickets.....

·
Owner of Prius V & others
00 Solara - 07 Vitz
2,054 Posts
Keep in mine that it is not a bad idea to be the secondary if somhowe you could, Because insurence companys will look at your profile to see how long you have been insured before so even if you go back to them when your 21, 22, 23 you'll still be payig alot for insurence beacause you'lll still be considered a novice that has not been driving in a while even if you have had your licsence since you were 17.

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
Yea...insurance companies reward a good driving history, so even if you only drive once a week, it's a good idea to get yourself put onto a policy as a secondary driver. You'll probably have to transfer ownership of the car to one of your parents first tho.

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,267 Posts
$550 a month? That's $6600 a year which still sounds really high, even for a 17 year old. There's a website that gives you online quotes for the Toronto region, something like cheapinsurance.com or something like that. Give it a try....

But yeah, as everyone suggested...make your parents the primary drivers and owners of the car, and just add yourself as the secondary. If they have cars, you'll also get multi-car discounts as well...like 15% off (State Farm does this).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have 3 vehicles, so i HAVE to be a primary as all the companies are saying. I wish i could be secondary.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
It would be very interesting to get everyone to include specs like these...then you could table them and see who's getting gouged...and who's got a deal.

I'm with TD Group Insurance.
$1500/yr on a Rolla-XRS.
Clean record over 27 + multi-line discount.

But I remember back in 1995 being a new driver under 25 with a Honda Civic and paying $3500 a year...so $6000 doesn't sound out of the ordinary for a new driver considering that's 10 years ago.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Ask your insurance company and see if they have what's called "good student discount", that'll take some money off by just mailing/faxing them your report card.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts