Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else's torque converter failed after the service bulletin fix expired? I feel like Toyota should just recall this part. My local dealer is trying to charge me $2400, that includes 11 hours of labor. I know i am being took advantage of as everything I've read says 6.5 hours max. I am 3 months outside of the service bulletin warranty. The car was my mother in laws and she took it in for every bulletin and recall she got a letter for, she never received a letter about this. The shudder was happening when she sold me the car and we were unaware that this was going to turn into bigger problems. According to her the car had been doing it and when she took it in for service they never mentioned the service bulletin or that the shudder wasn't normal. I really want to know how many ppl this has happened too so we can do something about it. First and last Toyota I will own!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would assume that some of that $2400 is the new converter
Yeah. But I was told and have read that the max time is 6-7 hours. They saying 11 hours at $80 an hour. This is the dealership the car came from. Also the same place the car has always been serviced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I seen someone uploaded their receipt from the service bulletin and can't find it now. But it stated 6.5 hours. I have also read that since it is 3 months outside of extended warranty that dealerships will charge whatever they want. They can't get away with it with Toyota paying but Toyota won't pay. They did in fact just recall the same part on the Toyota corolla. So why not recall camry's? It is frustrating.

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
107 Posts
I would assume that some of that $2400 is the new converter
True, but still, it shouldn’t take double the amount of time. $80 an hour for labor x 11 = $880. $2400-880 = $1,520 for the new converter. Let that sink in for a moment.

·
Registered
2017 Camry SE
107 Posts

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,049 Posts
True, but still, it shouldn’t take double the amount of time. $80 an hour for labor x 11 = $880. $2400-880 = $1,520 for the new converter. Let that sink in for a moment.
Unfortunately being upset about it doesn't fix the car (but totally understandable). Just take it elsewhere and don't look back. I'm pretty sure every manufacturer could careless about a percentage of their customers. That's why it's $2,400 bucks to make up for the others that took their business elsewhere and won't buy another Toyota.
Same kinda crap Toyota dumped on so many truck owners with defective frames that on a quite night you could hear rusting away!

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE, 4 cyl
419 Posts
How does the $1100 converter differ from the converter kit Toyota 04004-48106 called for in the TSB T-SB-0312-17 which was issued in 2017?

This one has a list of $577 and you can buy for less than $400 from discount Toyota dealers online.

I just so happened to find a new converter straight from Toyota for under $1,100. Seems like the dealer is trying to take our friend for a ride (no pun intended).

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,049 Posts
Here's the one they call for in the TSB $378.56 from a Toyota Dealer!

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,049 Posts
You have dealer price then you have online dealer price. There is always a difference.
No doubt, fortunately my local dealer will match another dealers online price and I can pick the part up at the counter even if they have to order it. They know how much business they loose out on if they don't. Mind you, it's only if what you need is offered online at another Toyota dealer vs. 3rd party.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts