Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,225 Posts
No doubt, fortunately my local dealer will match another dealers online price and I can pick the part up at the counter even if they have to order it. They know how much business they loose out on if they don't. Mind you, it's only if what you need is offered online at another Toyota dealer vs. 3rd party.
That's why a lot of retailers nowadays (except Walmart because they already off the cheapest prices) are will to price match up to a point.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I suggest you open a case with Toyota Corp and go thru the due process. They might give you an exception. Does not hurt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just curious if anyone else's torque converter failed after the service bulletin fix expired? I feel like Toyota should just recall this part. My local dealer is trying to charge me $2400, that includes 11 hours of labor. I know i am being took advantage of as everything I've read says 6.5 hours max. I am 3 months outside of the service bulletin warranty. The car was my mother in laws and she took it in for every bulletin and recall she got a letter for, she never received a letter about this. The shudder was happening when she sold me the car and we were unaware that this was going to turn into bigger problems. According to her the car had been doing it and when she took it in for service they never mentioned the service bulletin or that the shudder wasn't normal. I really want to know how many ppl this has happened too so we can do something about it. First and last Toyota I will own!!!
How many miles does your 2012 camry have if I may ask?
I was considering purchasing an LE 4 cyl with 120k that a private seller is selling me and want to see how common the problem is

·
Registered
25 Posts
i have 103k on my 2013 se 2.5 and have no issues..i change my fluid every 30k and have since i got it with 55k on it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi; new member here, riding the coattails of this thread.

2012 Camry XLE, purchased new December 2011. Sold to me in December 2017 with 60,000 miles on clock. Was driven very gently by first owner (senior citizen). I've put 100K additional in the last two years; most miles are highway, but also some intown as a rideshare driver. Started having transmission issues a few months ago.

A fluid change (its first) didn't make much of a difference. I then learned of the recall for torque converter swap and software update. But I believe the recall expires for cars with > 60,000 miles. It now has 150K.

The previous owner had the vehicle serviced religiously at a local dealer. I went to the service dept and asked for a printout of all work performed on the car. I've yet to review the tall stack of paper. My assumption is the recall was never performed.

The car also fell under the recent paint fiasco, so I need to schedule an appt. with the local dealer to determine the next step for that. Other than paint and transmission, the car is flawless. I plan to keep it a long time. I will push for a complete paint job, even though the peeling is minimal. I shouldn't be penalized by taking good care of the vehicle (garaged, etc.).

Any chance of getting the recall completed by the dealer at no charge, or am I SOL? My hope is since they will get $$$ for paint job, maybe they can work out a situation w/ Toyota to warranty the transmission as well.

So … realistically speaking, what are my best options?

Your feedback will be deeply appreciated; thanks!

·
Registered
2014.5 SE I4
468 Posts
There was no recall on the torque converter. And the warranty was extended for eight years or 150,000 miles, which ever comes first. So it’s past the warranty but not by much; a few months. If the issue is with the torque converter I would try to work something out with the dealer. They’ll probably say no so you’ll have to appeal to Toyota. It never seemed fair to me that the only people who got taken care of with the torque converter issue had the problem sooner than later.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi; new member here, riding the coattails of this thread.

2012 Camry XLE, purchased new December 2011. Sold to me in December 2017 with 60,000 miles on clock. Was driven very gently by first owner (senior citizen). I've put 100K additional in the last two years; most miles are highway, but also some intown as a rideshare driver. Started having transmission issues a few months ago.

A fluid change (its first) didn't make much of a difference. I then learned of the recall for torque converter swap and software update. But I believe the recall expires for cars with > 60,000 miles. It now has 150K.

The previous owner had the vehicle serviced religiously at a local dealer. I went to the service dept and asked for a printout of all work performed on the car. I've yet to review the tall stack of paper. My assumption is the recall was never performed.

The car also fell under the recent paint fiasco, so I need to schedule an appt. with the local dealer to determine the next step for that. Other than paint and transmission, the car is flawless. I plan to keep it a long time. I will push for a complete paint job, even though the peeling is minimal. I shouldn't be penalized by taking good care of the vehicle (garaged, etc.).

Any chance of getting the recall completed by the dealer at no charge, or am I SOL? My hope is since they will get $$$ for paint job, maybe they can work out a situation w/ Toyota to warranty the transmission as well.

So … realistically speaking, what are my best options?

Your feedback will be deeply appreciated; thanks!
so let me get this straight..u bought it with 60k and never changed the fluid until 150k?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,225 Posts
so let me get this straight..u bought it with 60k and never changed the fluid until 150k?
"Most people" don't know what ATF is let alone differential fluid. Though that is my lack of knowledge on peoples knowledge of vehicle maintenance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just curious if anyone else's torque converter failed after the service bulletin fix expired? I feel like Toyota should just recall this part. My local dealer is trying to charge me $2400, that includes 11 hours of labor. I know i am being took advantage of as everything I've read says 6.5 hours max. I am 3 months outside of the service bulletin warranty. The car was my mother in laws and she took it in for every bulletin and recall she got a letter for, she never received a letter about this. The shudder was happening when she sold me the car and we were unaware that this was going to turn into bigger problems. According to her the car had been doing it and when she took it in for service they never mentioned the service bulletin or that the shudder wasn't normal. I really want to know how many ppl this has happened too so we can do something about it. First and last Toyota I will own!!!
Never, ever get your car fixed at the dealer unless it's warranty work that's required ti be done there. They are notorious for extreme price gouging and the work isn't any better than many local mechanics. I would take sdspeed's advice and look for a local transmission shop. Many will give you a ballpark price on the work so you can shop around. Just make sure the work is warrantied for a year or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own 4 cyl. 2014 SE for 6 month and also experiencing the shudder. It got worse in winter.
And this issue looks like a 100% software flaw for me. The gearbox upshifts too early, just as like it is coupled to a multiple liter V8 and not to a relatively tiny 2.5 l engine. You need to press accelerator really hard to get an adequate shifting. I often use the paddle shifters in D and upshift around 2500 rpms and the car feels great, but it ruins all the point of having an automatic transmission. Also no shudder in S3 mode, it shifts just like good old 04 Camry I've owned before. One can only imagine the stress, engine is exposed to everytime I drive 50 km/h (30mph) on 5 gear, pressing accelerator and gearbox doesn't downshift neither unlocks TC trying to accelerate as is.
Have to flush ATF soon, will report if something changes for good.

If only there were modified software with altered shiftpoints and completely revised TC lock-up policy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, as promised. Had drain & refill ATF completed couple of days ago. Following the manual called ATF DRAIN & FILL & LEVELING - CAMRY U760E found somewhere here in forums. With all this terminal shortenings, ATF temperature hassle and so on. Fluid was dark, but my mechanic told me it's normal sign of wear for a 74k miles car. Also, not so many metal shavings on a magnets (by the way I've added a couple of magnets as per Toyota recommendation).
Shudder is still here, but occurs rarer, you know... shifting is little smoother now (it wasn't bad though) and the bumpy 4->5 gear upshift is gone now.
In conclusion: ATF replacing is a must, no "lifetime fluid" BS. But should be done properly, by a decent mechanic.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How many times was the fluid drained?
Might this make all the difference?

With a full three drain-outs and refills, you are still going to have almost half of the old fluid remaining.

Three more and you will have replaced about 80% of the old fluid.

Two 5-quart containers of MaxLife synthetic fluid would only cost about $40, would allow for four or five drain-outs.
But I haven't heard about whether the MaxLife or any other fluid is or might be better or worse with respect to this TC chatter problem. This fluid should however maintain it's viscosity within a narrower overall range (under all conditions of temperature and age) than Toyota's WS fluid. And it's a lot cheaper, so allows for a more complete flushing within one's budget.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've only drained once, 3.7L came out of the hot gearbox. Planning to drain at least one more time.
Fresh fluid definitely gonna make the difference, also now I'm sure about proper fluid level.
Don't know anything about Maxlife, just got 4L WS can for cheap.

Edit: significant shift delay between R->D or D->R is gone now too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That product "does not fit your 2012 Camry" (according to the ordering process).

Whatever that means, I would take as a caution that it would likely cause some problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
lol...trust and believe me when i tell u that will help the shudder problem.
I agree that it might still be useful.
I suspect that it might only be that this product isn't optimized for the lower-viscosity fluids.
As such, before I proceeded to replace a TC I would first try changing out more fluid with MaxLife since it costs so little. Then, after testing that, adding just one-third of a shot of the additive to see what that might do.
If that helped somewhat (and depending on how cold of winter start that I might have to do), I might add a second third of a shot of the ShudderFix.
I would do this not just for a kluge fix but to find out how this particular problem responds to varying amounts of additive, so that others might not have to do one of these expensive TC replacements on their old car. A useful experiment in other words.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts