Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this and found where someone referenced the torque specs on the 16" aluminum wheels should be 35 ft lbs. I thought... there's no way in hell. So I called the local dealership to confirm this and sure enough, you are only supposed to torque those things to 35 ft lbs!

That seems insane. I've never heard of any wheel being torqued below 75 to 80 ft lbs. Does anyone else here torque to just 35? If so, have you noticed any problems doing it (lugs loosening over time or whatever)? Again, this is just one of those things that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just finished rotating the tires on my 2005 DC Offroad this past weekend (16 inch alum wheels). My owners manual (pg 313) clearly states to "Have the wheel nuts tightened with a torque wrench to 113 N-m (11.5 kgf-m, 85 ft-lbf), as soon as possible after changing the wheels. Otherwise, the nuts may loosen and the wheels may fall off, which could cause a serious accident". And it doesn't state anything about different wheel sizes (16 or 17 in) or types (alum or steel). So I went with the 85 ft-lbs and it seemed about same "tightness" as what wheel nuts were from factory (this was my first rotation).

Hope info helps.....

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I had one Toyota service department tell me 35, so I called another dealership in the area. They told me between 80 and 83 ft lbs is what it calls for. I specifically asked if there was a difference (in torque specs) between the stock steel wheels vs all of the variations of aluminum wheels available on the Tacoma. He said that regardless of the wheel, it was all the same... 80 to 83 ft lbs.

Even though it may be too much (which I don't think it is), I think I'm going to torque them to about 80. I feel a hell of a lot better about that than just going to 35. Damn, I think I've twisted off beer bottle caps that were torqued higher than 35 ft lbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.