Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there’s a difference to what the limited/adventure awd compared to the xle premium awd? Not being a torque vectoring awd.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's my understanding that the models with the torque vectoring can send torque independently to either the left or right wheels and that the models without the torque vectoring only send torque front/back (without differentiating left/right).

I also understand that the models with torque vectoring also have a front/rear disconnect, so when AWD is not needed say cruising on the highway, the rear will disconnect (in order to help fuel economy).

I believe that's why there are multiple versions of the fuel economy numbers for the gas only models, 2WD, AWD, and AWD with the torque vectoring.

·
Registered
2019 XLE Premium AWD
439 Posts
Torque vectoring models have good limited slip qualities off road as can be seen in the Carmel Ca video mogul tests but even the non-torque vectoring models which just use the brake system to stop a spinning wheel with no traction works extremely well, I've been doing my own "mogul" testing on my vehicles for years (similar to the 4th gen HV test videos below) by driving onto a steep back at a diagonal to the left so the right front and left rear tires lift and they lose traction and spin, the '19 XLE Premium passes the test with very little tire slip before the brakes respond and it proceeds up the hill, my '88 XJ with ARB locker in the D44 rear axle is the only other 4X4 or AWD vehicle that I've owned that has ever made it up the hill, so I'm very impressed with the standard Multi-Terrain Select system in the rock & dirt mode. Haven't done any testing with the mud & sand mode yet which disables some nannys, snow mode just starts in 2nd gear.

https://global.toyota/en/mobility/tnga/powertrain2018/4wd/

Torque vectoring models have the lowest fuel economy rating as shown in the 2019 Product Info, likely because torque vectoring on-road brakes the inside wheel when cornering, braking is counter productive to good fuel economy.

EPA Estimated Fuel Economy*
26/34/29 (LE and Limited – FWD)
(city/highway/combined MPG)
26/33/29 (LE – AWD)
27/34/29 (XLE and XLE Premium – FWD)
26/33/29 (XLE and XLE Premium – AWD)
24/32/27 (Adventure grade and Limited – AWD)

*2019 EPA estimated MPG - Actual mileage will vary.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I´d question it better, is there a way I can take advantage go AWD in my XLE on dry road, special cornering. In my driving for the last days I can feel a better grip if I use ROCK mode on city driving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts